Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: finds new and old
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
yotafly
Finally got a real comp. here are some of my best finds over the years. I feel the need to play in the dirt when I see these, you know that feeling when you do certain things and you run out well that's the feeling I get and these new shows don't help ether smiley-shocked003.gif
Crusty
Very nice stuff!!
swizz
I have to agree, those are spectacular.
I'm thinking Aquamarine and Fluorite... also some Amazonite, Microcline possibly... and nice Gold pickers.
What is the spherical/button shaped specimen? I looks metallic.
Great stuff!
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Sweet finds Yotafly!! I'm thinking Topaz in the first pic....and some sweet ones too!! Love the purple and blue Fluorite!

Good question Swizz!!......... chin.gif Almost looks like Pyrite cubes...but in a ball. Very cool looking specimen!! I would love to see a closer look at the little specimen above the vial of Gold please. biggrin.gif Looks really cool from what I can see!
yotafly

you got it, the metallic sphere is pyrite. I found it just east of Florence by the Portland cement plant, the only place I've seen pyrite form like that. the dark green crystal is epidote and the bottom is beryl I'm not sure its super light.
yotafly
sorry for the double post, more pic coming soon
Denise
happy088.gif It's all good, I just deleted the extra one. We would love to see more pictures of your finds Yotafly!
MikeS
Very nice topaz. A few of them look bi-colored. The prospecting shows have been making me restless as well. After seeing the value of the fluorite on the shows, I have realized my finds are worth way more than I thought. Here is a few of my best from the Tarryall Mountains.
Click to view attachment
These are my only topaz I have found so far. On the left is a 104 carat alluvial but very gemmy topaz. It was colorless when I found it. It started to show some blue after sitting on a bookshelf. Then I read that some topaz from the area can turn more blue with sunlight. So I put it into the direct sun for total about 10 hours, and now the blue shows up on camera. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif The Crystal on the right is 236 carats. I found it on the surface. Not very gemmy, but a nice size for my first and only topaz crystal.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Here is both sides of a huge smokey. Full crystal faces on one side, and dark gemmy sets on the other.

Check out these flourites.
Click to view attachment
This is one half of a large fluorite that I shattered into thousands of pieces with my rock hammer. Whoops!
Click to view attachment
Nice purple and blue colors in this piece.
Click to view attachment
This specimen has large purple and blue cubes with overgrowth trying to form ochtahedrons. It also has it's own Feldspar stand. Needs more cleaning.
Click to view attachment
This is the largest fluorite we have found. It is 17 pounds! Very large blue and purple cubes coated with green ochtahedrons. Almost all Fluorite with a few small feldspar pieces, rust stain and small gothite specimens. I'll get some better pics of this one.
Denise
happy088.gif Nice specimens Mike, and welcome to the CP forums. sign0016.gif Thanks for sharing pics of your finds with us!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.