Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New specimen updates.
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
llamabox
While on the hunt for new locations I am always on the look out for mineral specimens. I am new to the area so I am sure I will be covering ground that has been seen before, but you never know what you might find if you just keep looking.

While checking the now defunct Copperhead claim ad Triple T mine I found a couple nice copper ore specimens.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
CP
Welcome to the forum llamabox! sign0016.gif

Interesting pieces you found definately, nice finds. Saguache county has some cool dig's around the county. happy088.gif
Thanks for sharing some of your finds and we'll all be looking forward to your future updates.
llamabox
Thanks for the warm welcome CP.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Crusty
very cool finds!
swizz
Excellent specimens llama. happy088.gif
What is that last one? I'm guessing Copper but maybe not? Almost looks crystallized.
Really cool finds.
llamabox
That is a druzy malachite. Like a fine green velvet.
Denise
Sweet finds llamabox! The druzy Malachite is very pretty, especially if you click the larger image for closer detail! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I really like the specimen that looks like tiny dog tooth crystals or druzy. That one would clean up really nice with a water pressure gun!

Thanks for sharing your finds with us, I look forward to seeing more!
happy088.gif
llamabox
Sample from the tailings pile at Homestake mine. Bonanza, Co.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Caveman
Wow! Very cool!
llamabox
Not sure what this is in the quartz exactly. But it has me intrigued

.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Denise
To me it looks like Mica but hard to tell by the photo. If you pick at it does it flake?
llamabox
Yea, no it doesn't flake. And it is harder than a knife blade. I am assuming an iron type. Hematite, magnetite or such.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
llamabox

yotafly
Very nice! Colorado has a lot of minerals that look similar, most are safe some are poisonous, some are radioactive. here are some Leadville finds
EMac
QUOTE (yotafly @ Nov 6 2013, 02:08 PM) *
...some are radioactive.

Love these pics! I don't have anything pretty to show, but do have some proof that there's radioactivity out there (ignore the actual reading....thing hasn't been calibrated in 15 years). The test sample on the side of the box is a stronger emitter, but there are definitely hot particles out there. These black sands are from Clear Creek, and it was a clear (not cosmic) signal via the headset: Click to view attachment
fenixsmom
Hey llamabox! Sorry im late, welcome to the forum! If you have any questions just ask someone here will usually have an answer!
llamabox
Many thanks. Been here over a year, but been busy with the kids when it comes to updating.
Donny
QUOTE (llamabox @ Sep 16 2013, 09:09 PM) *

These sweet!
Smedlap
QUOTE (llamabox @ Sep 29 2013, 07:52 AM) *
Yea, no it doesn't flake. And it is harder than a knife blade. I am assuming an iron type. Hematite, magnetite or such.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

So did you ever find out what it is?? I discovered one very similar in Gilpin County. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
llamabox
Never did more testing. Just another in thd rock garden for now.

Some more finds.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Denise
Very interesting finds Jason! What are you thinking the 2nd and 3rd pics are? The second one almost looks like a big chunk of petrified wood but just a guess from the picture.

Thanks for sharing your finds with us!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Nice! Is the first pic Topaz?
llamabox
I was hoping it is topaz. Found in a wash with a lot of mica and pink feldspar. Pulled off 285 between Bailey and Conifer at a trail head to let the kids stretch their legs.

And Mrs. CP I assumed pet wood also.
swizz
Really cool agate... and that last one almost looks like dino bone.
llamabox
So I took the kids up to Bonanza to check out the old Eagle mine. Mainly to check reports of Rhodochrosite from this locale.
Click to view attachment

We did find some Fluorite but much of it was broken or degraded.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

A small quartz vug.
Click to view attachment

And the only pink we found.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.