Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meteorite Identification
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
ASTROBLEME
There are "experts" on the web that claim they can identify a meteorite by just looking at the photo if you e-mail it to them. Many will ask for the find location up front but those folks are probably on a fishing trip, in my opinion. Since I got a diamond saw, I have been cutting into a few meteorites but also, as one would expect, finding many meteor-wrongs. I took a photo this evening that I thought I'd share as an educational item. Let's see if meteorite identification using a photo over the net it is all that easy.

What do you think... meteorite or meteor-wrong?

Click to view attachment

ASTROBLEME
russau
wrong.
sunspirit
I agree - Wrong.

QUOTE (russau @ Aug 30 2013, 05:52 AM) *
wrong.

CP
Good thread Astrobleme and thanks for posting a larger pic to view!
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess meteorite! biggrin.gif

I think it's impossible to id by photo only but by it's appearance in this pic, I would have definately brought the sample home for some testing (cutting happy088.gif ) to find out for sure.

As Johnny knows, I've found some meteor-wrongs as well but this one sure looks like a possible meteorite!

Look forward to seeing the cut sides.
ASTROBLEME
Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. confused0082[1].gif

There are two different specimens presented in the photo. At first look, it would appear that they are the same (both also stick to a magnet) but they are very different internally. The best way to determine for sure is as CP suggested...take them home and cut them.

So here is the photo of the cut and polished sides of the two specimens. One has distinct metal grains, the other has vesicles (gas bubbles) in the matrix. The one on the left side is a meteorite, the other is a meteor wrong.

Click to view attachment
Caveman
Trickster, you are, sir. spock.gif
russau
While i was attending a geology class years back my instructor that has 2 doctorant degrees liked takeing groups out on meteorite hunts acrosss Missouri. he thought he had found a 150 pnd meteorite 1/2 burried and didnt find out untill he got it back and sawed off a peice of it. it turned out tobe iron ore. and he had a Drs degree and it fooled him, so who am to think i can pickem out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.