Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amazonite, Quartz and Fossils (oh my)
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Fossil Finds, Processes, Adventures and Outings
Abell
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but have enjoyed reading many of the posts over the past year and have also met a new friend in the process. Last year I was able to contact Woody prior to a trip home to Colorado and he was extremely nice and helpful to my friend John and I while we were there. Our trip wouldn't have been nearly as fruitful without his advice and direction. He even met us a couple of times to point us in the right direction! I apologize to him for taking so long to post these pics of our finds while we were there. Anyway, here is some of the stuff we found.
Click to view attachment
These are some of the larger pieces of amazonite we found.
Click to view attachment
This is the biggest chunk.
Click to view attachment
Here is the second biggest chunk but is actually the nicest one overall. I'll probably take my diamond band saw to a couple of the small pieces and try my hand at jewelry making.
Click to view attachment
We also took a day trip to Devil's Head and managed to find a small pocket of smoky's. No nice points but they were covered in a glittery layer of what I'm guessing is Manganese. Clarification on this would be appreciated thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Finally, Woody pointed us in the direction of a place where we could find fossilized shark teeth.
All together a very productive trip thanks to Woody!!
Caveman
Very nice finds!
Crusty
Lots of good stuff! I definitely want to get the scoop on the shark tooth spot; would be cool to find a bunch of those!
Abell
Thanks! Hopefully I can get back there soon.

QUOTE (Caveman @ Jul 30 2013, 06:41 PM) *
Very nice finds!

Abell
You'll have to contact Woody for that info; it's his secret spot so I don't want to step on his toes rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Crusty @ Jul 31 2013, 01:51 AM) *
Lots of good stuff! I definitely want to get the scoop on the shark tooth spot; would be cool to find a bunch of those!
Crusty
QUOTE (Abell @ Aug 1 2013, 06:53 PM) *
You'll have to contact Woody for that info; it's his secret spot so I don't want to step on his toes rolleyes.gif

Oh, that's what I meant; would never expect anyone to give up someone else's good spots! :)
Woody
Hi Abell,

Glad to see your finds and hear the trip was a success. Even I am impressed with the amount of teeth you pulled from just one day. If I remember correctly, you had a very long trip, New Jersey right? Well I hope the next time you get out this way I am able to set you up nicely again. . Too bad we did not push that hole a little further when you were there. I found some really nice fluorite the very next time I went out.

Don't worry Crusty, You have already got the invite from me. arent you gettiing back this month? Congrads, Give me a call when you get in. Woody
Crusty
QUOTE (Woody @ Aug 1 2013, 08:56 PM) *
Hi Abell,

Glad to see your finds and hear the trip was a success. Even I am impressed with the amount of teeth you pulled from just one day. If I remember correctly, you had a very long trip, New Jersey right? Well I hope the next time you get out this way I am able to set you up nicely again. . Too bad we did not push that hole a little further when you were there. I found some really nice fluorite the very next time I went out.

Don't worry Crusty, You have already got the invite from me. arent you gettiing back this month? Congrads, Give me a call when you get in. Woody

I'm finally home next week!! Doing the Cripple Creek Vets ride the next weekend; maybe sometime towards the end of the month. Looking forward to meeting you!
russau
WELCOME HOME! SALUTE!
Abell
Yeah, I saw that piece of fluorite you pulled out....very nice. I was thinking maybe we could take a shot at specimen and sentinel rocks next time. I know it would take some planning and roughing it for a night or two but might be worth it.

QUOTE (Woody @ Aug 1 2013, 09:26 AM) *
Hi Abell,

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.