Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
adrian
Found this at Point Bar. The black part looks like a layer on the rock. Although, there is some black mixed into the rock as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Denise
smileywaving.gif Hi Adrian! It looks to be a piece of slag to me. You may see alot of it by the railroad tracks. Just a guess but I hope this info helps you some.
adrian
Thanks Mrs. CP.
DavidS
QUOTE (adrian @ Jun 23 2013, 02:40 PM) *
Found this at Point Bar. The black part looks like a layer on the rock. Although, there is some black mixed into the rock as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,

If that blackish-brown "bubbly" stuff is attached to rock, then it is probably NOT SLAG. I cannot see in the picture, but if it IS attached to rock, and inside the rock, then it is probably a "botryoidal form" of Chalcedony (micro-quartz). In that color it is commonly called JASPER.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.