Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat White Crystals
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
BusaDave9
Hi everyone. New to the site.
I'm a beginner rock hound and I was hoping someone could help me identify this:

It's flat white crystals but they don't flake like Mica. It's hard and a bit smaller than my fist.
Thanks in advance
sunspirit
Calcite or maybe Gypsum would be my guess. What was the surrounding strata like?
Woody
Agree,

Looks like Calcite var. gypsum. Can you scratch it with your finger nail or a plastic fork?
BusaDave9
Thanks guys. No I can't scratch it at all with my fingernail or plastic fork. I can scratch it with a metal screwdriver. I will try to narrow it down more on the mohs scale.
Here's a couple more pictures. I tried to catch a reflection to show it's surface.

Woody
Well,

If it is harder than calsite I would suggest Albite. Looks simular, but much harder.
DavidS
Looks like gypsum to me, but if it is harder than that, then Calcite, or Barite, would be my guesses. Albite (feldspar) would not scratch very easily with steel. IF that mineral seems very heavy for it's size, then it is probably Barite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.