Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How deep does the rabbit hole go?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Photography and Observations
Pages: 1, 2
Denise
How deep does the rabbit hole go? confused0082[1].gif I am having a heck of a time trying to find the answer to that question. A rabbit warren can hold up to as many as 30 and has several rooms. Another question is how far spread out can the warren go?

Here is a picture of a bunny sitting by the canoe. At the other end of the canoe is a hole that goes in......but to where and how deep?
unsure.gif

Several holes all over the yard, but makes me wonder if we are sitting on top of a huge warren.

Goodwood2223
Expensive but would most likely answer your questions.... http://www.amazingmachinery.com/sewer-camera-rental.html
Caveman
I woud just "ask Alice.....I'd think she'd know".........
Denise
Interesting idea Goodwood but I think the warren would be too winding and such to feed that through the hole.
laugh.gif Too funny Caveman but Alice can't be found right now.........maybe I should just take the red pill and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes. giggle.gif

Denise
The red pill comment was refering to the movie Matrix. blush.gif I thought someone would catch that one.

These bunnies are a real handful! We put up a fenced area for the cat and dog to go outside and what do the bunnies do............dug under the fence the next morning and then dug a hole under the house inside the fences area. slaphead.gif Bunny chased out, holes filled back in and fence reinforced now. whew.gif The cat races out the door in the morning and watches them eat and drink by the fence. Bunnies are just as curious as the cat is....they slowly start to move in on the cat at the fence tapping their feet to see if she runs at them and how far she can go. They will then turn their backs to her, twitching the tail as if to taunt her. After about an hour the cat realizes there are at least 5 or 6 surrounding her on the outside of the fence so she retreats quickly. laugh.gif

I don't think I will ever really know how deep the rabbit hole goes. I always think of Bugs Bunny popping out of the ground, looking around then saying "I must have taken a wrong turn in Alberkerky". biggrin.gif
Denise
Some days there can be as many as 25-30. Here is a picture of the yard in the morning before the fence.......
Caveman
How many are there in this pic? Look and count carefully...... Hint - look for ears.....
Goodwood2223
If you want them disposed of and have a .22 I can use ill happily turn them in to bunny burgers for you...
swizz
QUOTE (Caveman @ Apr 16 2013, 04:16 PM) *
How many are there in this pic? Look and count carefully...... Hint - look for ears.....

15 if I'm right... but it was tricky finding that last one!
Wow.... that is one crazy pic Denise! biggrin.gif Pretty sure those Bunnies like you guys.
Woody
I come up with only 14. I'm thinking someone ate the 15th one while Denise wasn't looing.
Caveman
Yeah, I came up with only 14 too. Chris, where's that last one..... (I did see Shadow Bunnie).... Dang, I hate gettin' old and cityfied,makes you hungery..... wacko.gif
swizz
hmmm.... well, I could be wrong here and definitely can't confirm that there's a Bunny behind that stump. Maybe the 15th? If not, I count 14. Looked like an ear poking out but Denise could have a look at that stump again and probably tell. I might have gotten stumped on that one!
Caveman
Hmmmmmm.... I would have gone hungery.... if that's a bunny! I see it, but then again.... hard to confirm. Well camoflaged critters they are! I think the dark stripe down the back and the eye spot give it away, which means it is in front of that stump. IF Denise confirms that is a bunny, darn good spot Chris!
CP
These fur balls are quite the pain in the backside actually.....drive into the driveway and fur runs in all directions! One of these days Denise is worried one will run for a tire and win! smiley-shocked003.gif smiley-laughing021.gif

I count 14 and the stump is just a stump. happy112.gif
swizz
shucks.... I'd be eatin tree soup kick_can.gif
Caveman
I need new eyes too.... coulda swore thet there was a bunny there after Chris pointed it out. confused0082[1].gif
Denise
<-------Sucker for the furry critters! blush.gif

giggle.gif You guys are too funny! Thanks for the offer Goodwood but the only thing I shoot the bunnies with is my camera. char098.gif
Sure would make one sweet fur blanket though. cloud9.gif I created this madness by giving them water and then seed, so I am making the best of it. They really like that hollow log in the yard, I can even get them to go on top of it by putting some seed on it. I watched a male chase a female around like a train caboose one day. She went into the hollow log as he followed and circled around and went back in. He of course was right on her tail but when she got to the other end of the log, she turned around and pinned him in the log and started to thrash him. smiley-shocked003.gif She let go and he raced out while she stayed inside and ate some seed. He was so funny to watch after that! He kept his distance but still followed her around.......love eh! smiley-laughing021.gif

chin.gif I was thinking it might be fun to do something that makes people say...."I can't believe you got all those bunnies to do that!!" biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of the yard after we put up the fence....and after the cat scared most of them away. laugh.gif Just took them a few days before they could tell she couldn't get to them.
Goodwood2223
Have to Admit they are cute, be careful they breed like rabbits!
Caveman
Goodwood, don't let Mrs CP fool you. That's her stash for the dark days.... it just stays fresher on the hoof, errrr foot. And she's not kidding about that blanket, neither! ohmy.gif
Wow, Quinn (our military macaw) just said "Bunnie burgers, mmmmmmm! Hahahaha!" Eerie!
swizz
think of all the lucky rabbit's foot keychains... I see a small fotune
Denise
Correct Goodwood and breed they have been.....I even know where the nursery is. Can see the kits finally wandering out making them independant bunnies at that point. Those are then ready to breed after 3 months from birth. wacko.gif I have tried to cut back how much I feed them, but then they pour on the guilt thick and I eat it up!! mellow.gif

russau
Hassen Phefer and good ole fried wabbit! yummm!
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 17 2013, 06:50 PM) *
think of all the lucky rabbit's foot keychains... I see a small fotune

Yeah, but it really needs to be the left hind foot, taken on a rainy friday the 13th under a full moon from a live rabbit to truely be effective. Or so the lore goes.
Denise
It has been so dry out here (as you can see) that there has been nothing but old dry vegitation for the bunnies to eat. Tiny little digs all over from them just looking for new sprouts or roots. Boy are we due for some moisture!!! Here is a picture of a young bunny (about 8 weeks old) foraging.

Click to view attachment

Most of the rabbits around here never see standing water unless you count an ocasional puddle. They sure have been happy for the water we give them! Was really cute watching it drink from the water dish for the first time. Cautiously creep up to the dish, look in then shake like it was having a convultion, dig it's nose in, then shake again. After a couple of minutes of this, it finally starts to drink. whew.gif happy.gif
Denise
This has been a usual view around the yard lately.... giggle.gif

This picture was taken last year, but you get the picture.

Denise
CP was sweet enough to help me bring this nice yard ornament back, when we were out cutting fire wood. happy.gif
The bunnies seem to approve of it also. biggrin.gif

Here is one relaxing on this fine Labor Day weekend.

Denise
I was going to post this one in the wildlife encounters but I remembered that you guys don't consider them wild at my place. laugh.gif
They still won't let me touch them...When I do, they jump and look at me like I'm crazy! giggle.gif

russau
HMMMMM?? maybe its the fork and knife in your pocket and the napkin around your kneck thats a give away??
Denise
laugh.gif Actually at the time, all I had was a cup full of seed and a warm smile. biggrin.gif I read that the European rabbit can dig up to 10' down into their burrows. Not sure if it's the same for cotton tails but I wouldn't doubt it. Just watching them all have fun in the snow this morning.
Denise
Here is a picture of a couple Hoar frosted bunnies at 2 degrees....granted not as frosted as they were at -6 but you can see the frost in their ears. Early in the morning when they are hunkered sitting still, the Hoar frost gets pretty thick on their backs.

Denise
Here is a couple more pictures of the bunnies with Hoar frost on their faces.

Click to view attachment

Ready for a frozen kiss.... giggle.gif

Click to view attachment
Denise
Another bunny pic since I know you all love to see them. biggrin.gif giggle.gif

Amazing how well they can hear. Even with the sounds turned off of the camera, they hear the moan of the camera focusing. Right after I took the pic, it stood up on it's hind legs to get a better look... laugh.gif

swizz
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Dec 10 2013, 08:03 AM) *
Amazing how well they can hear.

It's those two big satellite dishes on their head.
Denise
Definately Chris! They are such fur teases!! I go out the door and open the gate and they come running over to me....right to the tip of my foot. I bend down and they stay right there till I reach out for a fur touch. giggle.gif Is funny because they only move right out of my reach, then I go to reach them again and they move again (around me). The whole time just staring up at me with those big brown eyes.

Yes, I know they just love me for my seed but is still cool to have them race up to me like that.
happy.gif
Caveman
Got lots of them around here, too. I mean, LOTS! I can't wait till I get the feeders up - Karen really likes seeing them come around - till the dogs chase 'em off!
Denise
Guess the bunnies think the weather has been perfect here. This little one was in the yard today by our buckets sucking up the sun. Little ears and what looks like a beard..lol
Might just be its first venture out into the world. wub.gif
Denise
Went exploring to see if I could find the rest. If one is out, the rest are..... Found these two sucking up the sun snuggled together by the storage unit.

Click to view attachment

While taking the pic of the wee ones, two adults bunnies came cooking around the corner and started to mate right in front of Tim and myself. smiley-shocked003.gif Was really funny!! This went on for only about 3 seconds then he fell over onto his back for a second then they took off. Tim looked at me and said "that's the first live sex I have ever seen". Cracked me up then it hit me like every good parent would then though... whew.gif biggrin.gif
fenixsmom
They're so CUTE!!!!! I'd die in a cuteness overload! The bearded one is my fav!
Denise
They definitely keep a smile on my face, they are so cute to watch. biggrin.gif Not being afraid of humans yet, they let me get pretty close. Biggest overload I get is the urge to grab one.

Here is a cute pic of one napping on a few spilled unused electric grill briquettes. I had the overwhelming urge to touch its little foot.... But I didn't. wub.gif

moontan
Holy smokes...that's a lot of rabbit. It is strange how the critters will trust up until that hand touch. Something about that closeness makes em skittish. Still, awesome to have buddies follow and watch your doing ons. Never too old to have kids. Nature is neat.
swizz
I wanna see some Easter Bunny pics!
fenixsmom
Can you make the bunny lay an easter egg?
swizz
Absolutely. You haven't seen the Cadbury commercial?
fenixsmom
Hollywood trickery that is.
Denise
smiley-laughing021.gif Would be a good trick! They leave trails they drop all the time but not chocolate or made by Cadbury. laugh.gif
Dan and Tim got me a little white stuffed Cadbury bunny that clucks, it also had a little bag of chocolates on it for Easter. As soon as I pulled it out of the bag, the cat jumped up into my lap and took it from me...... huh.gif .....Good thing she's cute!! giggle.gif

Here is a picture of one of those babies in the bunny feeding area. Getting big quick!!

Click to view attachment
Denise
Found this hole...........Some days I guess the rabbit hole doesn't go deep enough. slaphead.gif Poor little sweeties!! I covered the hole with a piece of ply wood to keep them a bit safer for now. Not even as long as my finger and don't even have their eyes open yet. At least three in this nest.

Click to view attachment

Denise
Babies are doing ok now. Peeked under the ply wood and all seems good. Let me clarify......The hole is actually underground the rest of the way, just a spot over the babies caved in....hence the ply wood over the caved in part. Been raining since so they would have been very wet.
swizz
I can't believe how tiny they are. Very vulnerable at that stage. I'm rooting for em! Hopefully that ol rattler doesn't find them.
Denise
You think that's small, take a gander at that wee little white tail. biggrin.gif
With the ply wood covering them, their chances are much better now. Wish it was a better pic but I didn't want to disturb them much.
swizz
I just enlarged to see that lil tail. giggle.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.