Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deadly Rocks and Minerals
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Denise
Here is a cool article from Mining News about the worlds deadliest rocks and minerals. Coloradoite comes in at 10. It's something alot of people aren't thinking about when out prospecting. Very cool intersting info to know I think. Check it out....

The World's 10 deadliest rocks and minerals.

Happy safe digging everyone!
emoticon-misc-004.gif
russau
thanks for posting this! if i were out dredgeing and found any of these i would have saved them myself! not knowing about its danger.
Denise
I should make sure that I point out that the article is taking it to the extreme like the media often does. With the proper knowledge and procations, there are those that do collects these minerals successfully without harm. Knowledge is power! happy088.gif
Coalbunny
I dunno. From my experience....

Tellurium is toxic, but not deadly. Don't eat any because it will give you the worst BO and breath just this side of the graveyard for 3-4 weeks until it's out of your body. "Nasty" doesn't even touch it.

The quantity of copper it would take to maim or kill you is far more than a simple taste taste would provide.

Galena is not toxic or any kind of threat unless you put a 5 pound chunk on your travel trailer stove top and crank the heat on high and then inhale deeply, and then it'll be the H2S, not the lead, that does you in.

Asbestos is bad, just don't crush any and inhale it. Otherwise you'll be just fine.

Arsenopyrite is not toxic. The arsenic is not in enough quantity to kill you. Ideally you want to wash your hands when you eat anything anyhow.

Torbernite....? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!! Dude...the U3O8, or any of the radioisotopes are not in any quantity to harm you. There is no "pocket-sized Cherynoble". Whoever wrote that is likely terrified of being eaten alive in an acid bath because Coca Cola he drinks has phosphoric acid in it. Besides, no idiot is gonna stick a specimen in their pocket.
Well, wait a minute here....

Cinnabar, ok. It is toxic, so don't go crush any and add it to your scrambled eggs for breakie and you'll be just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.