Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snow
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Off Topic
Dypheron
Anyone getting any decent snow off of this so called storm? Apparently the 4 inches we have here is enough to close the fort, so looks like I'm staying home tomorrow! Which I think is pretty funny, I remember when I was younger getting a foot overnight and still having to walk to school the next day...
russau
Here in St.Louis,Mo. we are waiting for it to hit us. snow sleet. freezing rain to accumalate from 1 inch to 6 inchs of snow for various parts of the area. snow doesent bother me, but adding a 1/4 inch of ice does. my generator is ready and i have fuel ready! they keep moveing the arrival of the storm back. now its supposed to get here between 12/1 PM today!most schools are already closed.
swizz
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Feb 20 2013, 11:37 PM) *
Apparently the 4 inches we have here is enough to close the fort, so looks like I'm staying home tomorrow! Which I think is pretty funny, I remember when I was younger getting a foot overnight and still having to walk to school the next day...

It's comical how the news channels have mobile reporters scattered everywhere all bundled-up and it is dominating the news this morning. Hell, we often get a foot up here and nobody flinches. Front range gets 4" and it's dang near "storm of the century" you would think.... if the TV is on.
dang tenderfoots smiley-laughing021.gif
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 21 2013, 05:56 AM) *
It's comical how the news channels have mobile reporters scattered everywhere all bundled-up and it is dominating the news this morning. Hell, we often get a foot up here and nobody flinches. Front range gets 4" and it's dang near "storm of the century" you would think.... if the TV is on.
dang tenderfoots smiley-laughing021.gif

I think a big part of it is there's so many people in the area that are not native to a region that gets snow, so they see a flurry and freak out. Nice thing about it is since I'm off today I can go out and get stuff done without any crowds. They might freeze in the blistering cold 18 degree weather! smiley-laughing021.gif
Denise
Storm Of The Century, good movie! happy112.gif
Just a scuff of snow here, but I was able to get some sweet pictures because of the ice in the sky. Here is a "cool" sundog!
swizz
Sundog of the century! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Caveman
I couldn't believe how bad the traffic was this morning - at 5am! Yeah, the rod conditions were bad, but not so bad that it called for idleing along..... at 3 to 5 mph! slaphead.gif Darn warm weather drivers should stay where it's warm! greensmilies-025.gif Ok, at least it was better than dealing with Californians in 4x4's thinking they can do 75, jus' cuz they're in 4x4's. smiley-shocked003.gif
russau
i remember back in 1967 when i just got out of boot camp in El Paso Texas at Christmass time. we got 1 inch of dry snow. they cloesed the base and ALL transportation! i asked if i could get off base to rent a car to drive home and they said NO! everything was closed.nobody was allowed on the streets because it was so dangerious!!!! sooooooooo we got put into a holdover barracks and had a party! it went into the night and most everyone was drunk untill the officer of the day with 2 armed gaurds came into that barracks and saw what we were doing. well atleast nobody went to prison for it and 2 days later the airport was opened back up and we went home for Christmass. man that was a great party! ALMOST as good as what Leonard has!:)
Dypheron
QUOTE (russau @ Feb 21 2013, 11:42 AM) *
i remember back in 1967 when i just got out of boot camp in El Paso Texas at Christmass time. we got 1 inch of dry snow. they cloesed the base and ALL transportation! i asked if i could get off base to rent a car to drive home and they said NO! everything was closed.nobody was allowed on the streets because it was so dangerious!!!! sooooooooo we got put into a holdover barracks and had a party! it went into the night and most everyone was drunk untill the officer of the day with 2 armed gaurds came into that barracks and saw what we were doing. well atleast nobody went to prison for it and 2 days later the airport was opened back up and we went home for Christmass. man that was a great party! ALMOST as good as what Leonard has!:)

Sounds like when I was at Jackson in 2002, out doing a roadmarch in a "blizzard", got an inch or two halfway through and had to stop because they closed post. We waited longer in the cold for a bus than it would have taken us to march back to the barracks...Spent two years working just down the road from you at FLW, they'd cancel training for the most mundane crap, can only imagine it's worse now.
swizz
Anyone getting it today? emoticon-object-024.gif
Blowing hard here and it just started snowing sideways. We've had almost summer-like weather until now, which is unusual. Gave me extra time to button everything up this year.
I'm not sure if this is the one that will make snow stick or not. The ski area could use something because I think they were scheduled to open this weekend, they're bare.
MikeS
Starting to stick to the roads here in Denver. Overpasses are already getting icy. Be careful!
fenixsmom
Tires being mounted today :)
Dypheron
We got about 4-5 inches of fluff, nothing significant.
Denise
No snow here yet, it's been mostly sunny but has been VERY windy! desert.gif
swizz
Up to about 6" here now. emoticon-object-024.gif
Nice fluffy stuff, no wind, and temp in the 20s. The front range looks to be colder with a little more snow, maybe a bit of an upslope to this storm.
I did my first plow run today with the boss, went well!
Denise
smiley-clapping.gif Very cool to hear you got new tires Jessie, that should help a lot!! Still no snow here yet but we are sitting in a pocket of sunshine surrounded by clouds. Is really strange because you can't see any mountains or homes anywhere around us....just low clouds. Almost like being all alone in this world....no sights or sounds of life. biggrin.gif
fenixsmom
That sounds perfect! I would love to be in a place like that. Providing I had the internet to communicate from time to time.
I love my new tires! Combined with my 3/4 ton frame, 6" lift and 4 wheel drive, I feel like I'm driving a big sexy tank! Coincidentally it also guzzles gas like a bloody tank. smiley-shocked003.gif
swizz
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Nov 13 2014, 09:00 AM) *
... a big sexy tank!

you just described one of my ex girlfriends
fenixsmom
Lol! smiley-shocked003.gif
Coalbunny
It's snowed here a few times, but nothing sticks yet.
Denise
emoticon-object-024.gif We finally got some snow here! Much needed in this area....at least 3-4 inches so far.
Coalbunny
Raining here. Going out shortly for some panning.
swizz
Watching the news this morning and seeing that the front range got hammered with snow again. I was able to justify plowing a couple of inches yesterday morning but we didn't get a lick of snow up here last night, just cold.
Normally I don't mind a mild winter but plowing is my job this winter and it's been a dry one up here. Driest I can recall. desert.gif
If it weren't for the snows we got in November and December we wouldn't have anything on the ground in town. The ski area seems to be retaining their snow. kick_can.gif
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 22 2015, 06:44 AM) *
Watching the news this morning and seeing that the front range got hammered with snow again. I was able to justify plowing a couple of inches yesterday morning but we didn't get a lick of snow up here last night, just cold.
Normally I don't mind a mild winter but plowing is my job this winter and it's been a dry one up here. Driest I can recall. desert.gif
If it weren't for the snows we got in November and December we wouldn't have anything on the ground in town. The ski area seems to be retaining their snow. kick_can.gif

THat's crazy... we got quite a bit down here in the SPrings, with more coming today. Hope y'all get some of today's!
swizz
Springtime in the rockies. emoticon-object-024.gif
Snowy Morning by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Denise
Yuck, that is a lot of snow! No snow here, didn't even get much through the whole winter. Only thing blowing in the winds here are tumbleweeds. desert.gif .....and Terra hair! laugh.gif

EMac
Looks like more snow coming this week too...
swizz
Everything was so nice and green yesterday, lawn just got mowed, flowers starting to bloom. More predicted for tonight. char060.gif
My Hummingbird feeders are EXTREMELY popular today. Poor little guys. I opened the window next to the feeders so they can steal some of my heat while they're stocking up on carbs.
You guys getting any snow wherever you're at?
May 18th Snow by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

EMac
Just sleet here in the Westminster/Broomfield area, but nothing is sticking.
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ May 18 2017, 01:30 PM) *
More predicted for tonight. char060.gif
You guys getting any snow wherever you're at?

Hint: When you live in a place with "winter" in the name, you might get snow all the time! emoticon-object-024.gif smiley-laughing021.gif emoticon-object-024.gif

We got an inch or so this morning; been flurrying on and off all day.
swizz
smiley-laughing021.gif Good point!
How are you liking the new beast?
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ May 18 2017, 03:16 PM) *
smiley-laughing021.gif Good point!
How are you liking the new beast?

Other than both key fobs being doa ($150) and just replacing the fuel filter (another $150) it's good lol
swizz
I know it's a little early to be posting in the "Snow" thread but.... we got our first dose last night up here. emoticon-object-024.gif Just took this from my place.
Early Snow 1 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Woody
Wow that's awesome... I bet the elk start bugling now!

Seems like we might have a pattern starting to develop. Last year is snowed just before the end of archery season... then winter seemed to go on a summer vacation for a long time. I wonder if it will
do the same this year??

I was out today, "sick as a dog", crystal hunting in some local hills. There was a noticeable chill in the air that was hard to shake. I even kept my coat on as I was walking up the hill. I warmed up ok
by the end of the day with a full pack. Tomorrow I'm headed over to Fairplay area to do some high country scouting. It has been on my Summer Bucket List and I can't put it off for risk of that area
being snowed in. Your picture is just the motivation I needed... come hell or high water I need to get up there! ........ Or start making plans/lies to myself about next summer's Bucket List!

Thanks Swizz!
swizz
It's gone now... melted as fast as it came, but definitely a shot across the bow. Ol man winter is peeking over the horizon. Starting to get some good Aspen colors up here already too.
swizz
We got a lot of snow the last couple of days, I tell ya it's just too early. I took these pics yesterday morning driving to my log home project. Snow will probably be melted by the end of the week.

The road in.
Morning Drive by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Moose at the home to greet me (damn near every morning).
Morning Moose by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

My boom lift waiting for me... covered in snow. brrrr Project almost done thankfully.
Project 5001 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Denise
smiley-shocked003.gif I am so not ready for snow and the cold that comes with it!!
I broke out my scarfs and am wearing them around the house even. giggle.gif biggrin.gif
Crusty
Brrrrr! Hope you stay warm!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.