Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asteroid to set record close approach on February 15, 2013
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
ASTROBLEME
The asteroid, designated 2012DA14, will fly past Earth on Feb. 15, with a record-setting close approach.

It is passing closer than the GPS, telecommunications and weather satellites. At the closest point, the asteroid will only be 17,200 miles away.

At 50 meters wide, the asteroid is similar in size to the object object created a mile wide crater in Arizona. That crater is known as the Barringer Meteorite Crater and it is the source of the Canyon Diablo Meteorites.

ASTROBLEME
ASTROBLEME
Here is a new link that calculates odds of being struck...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...-by-an-Asteroid

I've been wondering if there is good enough information on this asteroids approach to see just how close it will pass to a man made object in orbit. If it would impact something we have in orbit...that would be very interesting indeed.

ASTROBLEME
russau
just think what would happen if that asoroid hit a few of our satilites and they bounced off and hit other things and then all came tumbeling down on top of us!sure is a possibility! that would mean id have to give up my MTV!
swizz
QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Feb 14 2013, 04:10 PM) *
I've been wondering if there is good enough information on this asteroids approach to see just how close it will pass to a man made object in orbit. If it would impact something we have in orbit...

I was thinking about that too.
I came to the conclusion that they have this thing pretty well figured on the pass. I'm guessing that they'll reposition satellites well out of the way knowing where and when it'll pass through. Just a guess...
swizz
QUOTE (russau @ Feb 14 2013, 07:13 PM) *
... that would mean id have to give up my MTV!

MTV carries The Lawrence Welk Show now?

groucho.gif
russau
the L.W show is now all the rage!:)
CP
A very interesting event for sure, I had the same thoughts over the last couple weeks.....what if the numbers were just a hair off........that could mean a whole different outcome if only one factor on this asteroids life/path varies.....LOOK OUT! atomic.gif

Here's another interesting tid bit about the asteroid for the prospectors....
From Mining.com .....
$195 billion in metal and fuel will just fly past the earth
smiley-shocked003.gif
amorton
So the big one missed, but a separate unrelated smaller one hit Russia

http://news.yahoo.com/meteor-explodes-over...-175838744.html
ASTROBLEME
QUOTE (amorton @ Feb 15 2013, 02:36 PM) *
So the big one missed, but a separate unrelated smaller one hit Russia

http://news.yahoo.com/meteor-explodes-over...-175838744.html

That undetected object did LOTS of damage for sure...

Perhaps this will get folks to think more about the nature of impact events and less on all the other inconsequential matters that society spends so much time, money and blood on...and never makes any difference at the end of the day.

Keep lookin' up!

ASTROBLEME
Denise
I hear you Johnny! happy088.gif Not a day goes by that I don't look up and think the same thing. Just thankful I have the understanding!
Denise
Lookig up last night, I saw the Moon passing Jupiter in the constellation Taurus. Beautiful sight seeing them so close! Did anyone else look up and see it last night?
Dypheron
They're now saying that the initial estimate of 10 tons was a bit light...Apparently it was closer to 10,000! Or so the news says. confused0082[1].gif

ASTROBLEME
The untracked object that entered Earth's atmopshere apparently is a common type of meteorite. The 32.5 seconds of airborne flight is impressive but here in my neighborhood, we have witnessed a much longer flight along with shock waves. Thank God that the October 2006 bolide passed over open lands. We would likely have seen the same result if the overflight at the end of the entry would have crossed a city, as it did in Russia.

The bolide in Colorado has a good description here...

http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireball20061001.html

ASTROBLEME
russau
i was kinda hopeing that a fairly large chunck of this asteroid would break off and land in my back yard close to my garage so i wouldnt have to drag it far. i didnt want the hole thing just a nice peice of it! i better remove my add on ebay!:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.