Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 rocks
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Miners Crafts, Goods & Classified ads > Wanted > SOLD or Found!
cotton
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentMy cousin has 2 rocks, and wanted me to do some research on them; they weigh about #70 apiece. One is green and one is black can anyone tell me anything about them, I have pics . He took them to a jeweler, and he wanted to know where he got them, he said they were Wyoming Jade, Any info would be appreciated. Thank You.

deltlee@att.net

Green Rock
CP
Hi Cotton, welcome to the ColoradoProspector forums.

Those are nice size pieces at #70 each, I'd say from the picture that you posted it looks like it could be jade.
You could do a hardness test and observe the clevage to help eliminate other possibilities. Wyoming jade is well known for the nice greens and black, my grandfater and his partner were the first to discover and file claims in Wyoming for jade. Much of what I still have from his original claims is black or dark green shades.
Those large pieces would make some nice cutting material for cabochons or carvings etc.

Make yourself right at home browsing around the website, you'll find quite a few jade pics that you can compare your sample to as well.
cotton
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thank You

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Dec 28 2012, 09:42 AM) *
Hi Cotton, welcome to the ColoradoProspector forums.

Those are nice size pieces at #70 each, I'd say from the picture that you posted it looks like it could be jade.
You could do a hardness test and observe the clevage to help eliminate other possibilities. Wyoming jade is well known for the nice greens and black, my grandfater and his partner were the first to discover and file claims in Wyoming for jade. Much of what I still have from his original claims is black or dark green shades.
Those large pieces would make some nice cutting material for cabochons or carvings etc.

Make yourself right at home browsing around the website, you'll find quite a few jade pics that you can compare your sample to as well.
Denise
smileywaving.gif Welcome to the forum cotton. Here is a link we have going about Wyoming Jade. Very cool stuff and it looks like you have a nice chunk there. happy088.gif

Wyoming Jade thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.