Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redwood tree fossil found in diamond mine
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Fossil Finds, Processes, Adventures and Outings
Denise
jawdrop.gif What a fantastic find! They found a fifty million year old redwood tree fossil in the Ekati diamond mine in Canada. It was found 315 meters below the Earth surface in a kimberlite pipe. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here is the full story from mining.com. Very cool find and story!!
"50-million year old tree fossil uncovered in Canadian diamond mine"

Mining News is a great one to subscribe to for mail out digests! Here is a link to all the digests they offer and mail out amounts.

Mining News Digests research.gif

Dig in! emoticon-misc-004.gif
Denise
huh.gif No comments? I thought it was pretty interesting stuff. kick_can.gif
ASTROBLEME
Mrs. CP,

That is very interesting.

One of the characteristics of some kimberlite pipes in Colorado and Wyoming's State Line Diamond District is that they aslo hold fossils. That is how most of the first kimberlite pipes were found...that is by looking for the "Ferris outliers", a named coined for the type of deposit that was first recognized on Ferris Ranch. That pipe has Ordovician and Silurian fossils preserved by the kimberlite intrusion. It was Nick Ferris that went on to school and became a geologist, whom eventually returned to the ranch and recognized that unique strata.

The oil companies searching the area in the 1970's and 80's primarily searched by looking for these unusual fossil deposits. However, it is now known that some of the diamond pipes are much older and did not entrap fossils such as the Ferris outlier did.

ASTROBLEME
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.