Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now it's starting to get fun.....
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Caveman
Ok all, I've started putting together a dredge system using a trommel built by Red Dog Manufacturing (thanks amorten!). Untill that is ready, I'm using a 9" folding sluice with Gold Hog matting, (until I can build my 12" sluice). I've purchased a Keene P90 with a Honda engine, and the 2" suction nozzle, appropriate hoses and such. Any advice for beginner would be most welcome! I hope to get out a few times before the year's end.

Thanks!
Caveman
swizz
Sounds like you're definitely on the right track. If you have the P90 Honda... is the the 4 stroke, 2.5hp? That's a nice rig, small and powerful. Runs well at altitude.
If you don't already have wet gear... I highly recommend 5mm - 7mm wetsuit, weight belt, knee pads, neoprene gloves, mask, and snorkel.
If you don't have a weight belt I can sell you one on the cheap. I sure as heck ain't gonna ship it though. Definitely a must-have if you're wearing a wetsuit.
Caveman
Swiz, I dive, so I already have some gear - a 2mm skin, and a 3mm shorty to go over it in colder water. I also have the other gear except for the knee pads and weight belt. I am interested in your offer on the weight belt, and would be willing to meet somewhere at your convenience, but it would have to be after next weekend. I'm guesssing that garden knee pads with the plastic shell woud suffice. Thanks for the advice!

Caveman
swizz
Ok, I'll give you the Keene belt and weights for whatever 1/2 of retail is... haven't figured that out yet. Good as new though. Just let me know when you might be up in my neck of the woods.
Caveman
QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 29 2012, 06:54 AM) *
Ok, I'll give you the Keene belt and weights for whatever 1/2 of retail is... haven't figured that out yet. Good as new though. Just let me know when you might be up in my neck of the woods.

Will do and thanks!
Caveman
I was up on Clear creek yesterday running the dredge with Andrew, and had a blast learning how to run the thing! overpowered my poor little 8" sluice, so I'll be putting together a 12" 6-footer for next year - with v-groove, Gold Hog Scrubber, Gold Hog Razorback, and UR. I caught some gold yesterday, but I was blowing the matting out for a good part of the day. Oh well, had fun anyway, and moved more in four hours than I did all day classifying! Full report on what I caught to come later....

Caveman
CP
Sounds like you guys had some great fun there, we'll all be looking forward to the update/report! char098.gif
Caveman
I processed some -100 cons before I left for Corpus Christi for the weekend to visit my parents, and had some good results - I will process more when I get back..... I'll keep you guys posted. Looking foward to posting some pics! I think amorton will hae better results than me, though - that guy can moe TONS of material in a very short time with a shovel!
That trommel he built is AMAZING!

Take care all!
Caveman
amorton
So took me some time to gt the videos downloaded off my camera. Here are two quick videos one of myself running the trommel and one of Cave man running his new 2" dredge. This was just a test run for him, he will need a proper sluice box for next year, but it was fun getting the equipment wet and doing some more testing before winter. Trommel has most of the kinks worked out, need to add taller sides to the middle section of the hopper box to prevent the small amount of spillage I am getting.

Red Dog Fabrication Trommel: http://youtu.be/JeHYRMg2ybY

Caveman Dredging: http://youtu.be/DJNZD6Iy5HI
Woody
Nice videos,

I wish I had the ability to run some equipment like that up on my claim. I must say, if those are still in the developmental stage? Wow! you guys are definatly going to be a force to be reconed with. Much Kudos for making the equipment yourself as well. Good luck, Woody.
Caveman
Thanks Woody! But I must say that Andrew is the talented one - and that he gat me started after years of thinking about doing this. Now, for the final result of the days run - for me at least. Less than a grain. confused0082[1].gif Drat! Well, I was blowing up my pack-in sluice pretty good...... and I still have the cons to put through the blue bowl. I will be constructing a 6'x12" one for next year - with 18" deep V, 18" Gold Hog Scrubber, 18" Gold Hog Razorback, and 18" Gold Hog UR... Combined with a Red Dog Trommel. That should do me for the next year or so, and at least I'll get out in the sun again!
Caveman
I went out this past Tuesday to lower Clear Creek near 70th and Washington for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I used amortons sluice and my new dredge and had a blast moving a bucket load of material..... well mabe a few bucket loads.... biggrin.gif Looks like dredging is my thing tongue.gif Panned four teaspoons full when I got home, and it looks like I did ok in getting a lot of fines, but I'm still just having fun testing. I will have it panned out Friday, but I might Cube it first to concentrate it more. I'll post the results and pic's when I get the chance.

Caveman
Caveman
Well........ I went thru once and totalled a little less than a grain. Aw, shucks. Had fun anyway, and I'm sure my panning technique needs a lot of work. I could not find my power supply so I didn't get to cube it. I am going to pull out the magnetics and pan it again, then classify it to be blue bowled. Doing all this just to learn at this point, and will polish it up for next year. I think I'm done in the field for the year, unless it stays warm enough - that water's cold though! emoticon-object-024.gif Take care and have fun out there!

Caveman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.