Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's This - #7
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Historical Equipment and Tales
Denise
Here is a realy cool old item. Who can tell me what it is and what it was used for? chin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
russau
thats a mouth harp!its for putting in your mouth and plunging the middle flat wire to make a tune for music!you see them in use in lots of old cowboy movies!and im sticking to it!
swizz
Haha, yup.... Jew's Harp, although I don't think the origin is from Jerusalem. Not sure how it got it's name.
I got pretty good with one when I was a kid. Always trying to do the Peter Frampton "do you feel" thing with it, lol.
Sometimes you could get your lip stuck in it too.
Denise
Good job guys! That is exactly what it is. happy112.gif

It has many names but I have always known it as a Jews Harp. It was also the instrument Snoopy used whan he was jammin' with Woodstock.

Too funny Chris! laugh.gif Frampton and Walsh songs. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif They used a talkbox but they have similiar sounds that's for sure.
I haven't gotten my lip stuck in it yet, that sounds painful.
wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.