Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted: Diamond Prospecting Partner
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Miners Crafts, Goods & Classified ads > Wanted > SOLD or Found!
Yukon Cornelius
Hello all. I’m looking for a diamond prospecting partner. I’m look for someone that has some knowledge and experience prospecting in the Wyoming/Colorado “State Line District”. I’ve been prospecting for gold in the Black Hills for many years now. I’ve done a fair amount of research on all the possible diamond deposit locations in the State Line District; however I know there is no substitute for experience. So anyone interested in taking on a trustworthy partner that has the gumption and fortitude to make any endeavor a success please get in touch with me. Thanks for taking a look and God bless!

Brian Bahr
ASTROBLEME
Brian,

Sounds like you are about to embark on a fun and profitable adventure.

Before heading out to the State Line District, make sure you know the land ownership and mining claims layout. research.gif Most diamond pipes are already under claim or privately held and those areas should be avoided.

An extensive area south of the district has been subjected to wildfire. Rainstorms will loosen the topsoil and perhaps reveal new target areas to conduct sampling. info_grin.gif

I wish you the best of luck.

ASTROBLEME
sunspirit
Hey Yukon,
I don't claim to be an expert on diamond prospecting, but I do know the area very well. It seems to me that every known kimberlite pipe is claimed. A previously unknown location is what is needed. Give me a call and we can talk. 970 622-9500
sunnymoedawg
QUOTE (sunspirit @ Jul 13 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Hey Yukon,
I don't claim to be an expert on diamond prospecting, but I do know the area very well. It seems to me that every known kimberlite pipe is claimed. A previously unknown location is what is needed. Give me a call and we can talk. 970 622-9500

The State Line district diamonds are formed at around 5000 feet below the surface in along linear fractures. Kimberlite travels up to the surface and resembles the bowl shaped indent commonly associated with the pipes. If deeply eroded, as is the case with the State Line District pipes, morphology of the pipes takes on the fracture and dikes at depth. These appear as either dikes or long, linear, irregular to eye-shaped pipes. Evidence supports that this is what the S.L. pipes have done - eroded over 2000 feet.

If you travel further north to Iron Mountain, the diamond pipes here suggest former pipes that are now feeder dikes and elongated blows (enlargement of the dikes) which suggests nearly 4,000 feet of erosion. Here is a crude ASCII example of what I mean:

\ x x x x /
\ x x x /
\ x x x / ---------- State Line District (erosion of 2000 feet)
| x x |
| x x |
| x x | ---------- Iron Mountain District (erosion 4000 feet)
| |
| |
| |
| |
___ _____

There are MANY open prospects to search for diamonds. One must research with IP maps (induced polarity) and/or the geomagnetic maps for anomalies within the structure you are searching. The easy pipes have been claimed, the hidden ones are still there. When you find an area of interest, follow the natural terrain on the map. Pipes are usually in line with each other, along the sheer zone or faults. Hundreds of pipes are still considered "cryptovolcanic" structures, simply because no one has gone to verify if they do indeed contain diamond indicator minerals. Google Earth "Twin Mountains, Cheyenne West, WY 82059" you can literally see dozens of structures within this area. In Wyoming kimberlites yield 50% high quality gemstones. In Colorado, kimberlites will yield about 30% gemstones. I mention the Iron Mountain District specifically because of the deep erosion that has occured. The diamonds have all been mined for you by mother nature. Follow the rivers and streams near the area for indicators....check the anthills in the area....study and learn IP Maps...the pipes are here, waiting for discovery. The middle fork of the Little Laramie river has given up a few diamond indicating minerals, there should be a undiscovered pipe along the river. Vedauwoo Park has Eagle Rock anomaly located right in the middle of the campground! There are several pipes that group with the pipe and the highway cuts right across the structures. The beaver ponds have produced gemstones and are predicted to yield a kimberlite pipe based on IP testing. If you want to explore some Wyoming areas let me know....I am still learning about diamond exploration, but have several great leads on searching for them...have a great day!
everythingiseasy
QUOTE (sunnymoedawg @ Aug 27 2012, 02:25 PM) *
The State Line district diamonds are formed at around 5000 feet below the surface in along linear fractures. Kimberlite travels up to the surface and resembles the bowl shaped indent commonly associated with the pipes. If deeply eroded, as is the case with the State Line District pipes, morphology of the pipes takes on the fracture and dikes at depth. These appear as either dikes or long, linear, irregular to eye-shaped pipes. Evidence supports that this is what the S.L. pipes have done - eroded over 2000 feet.

If you travel further north to Iron Mountain, the diamond pipes here suggest former pipes that are now feeder dikes and elongated blows (enlargement of the dikes) which suggests nearly 4,000 feet of erosion. Here is a crude ASCII example of what I mean:

\ x x x x /
\ x x x /
\ x x x / ---------- State Line District (erosion of 2000 feet)
| x x |
| x x |
| x x | ---------- Iron Mountain District (erosion 4000 feet)
| |
| |
| |
| |
___ _____

There are MANY open prospects to search for diamonds. One must research with IP maps (induced polarity) and/or the geomagnetic maps for anomalies within the structure you are searching. The easy pipes have been claimed, the hidden ones are still there. When you find an area of interest, follow the natural terrain on the map. Pipes are usually in line with each other, along the sheer zone or faults. Hundreds of pipes are still considered "cryptovolcanic" structures, simply because no one has gone to verify if they do indeed contain diamond indicator minerals. Google Earth "Twin Mountains, Cheyenne West, WY 82059" you can literally see dozens of structures within this area. In Wyoming kimberlites yield 50% high quality gemstones. In Colorado, kimberlites will yield about 30% gemstones. I mention the Iron Mountain District specifically because of the deep erosion that has occured. The diamonds have all been mined for you by mother nature. Follow the rivers and streams near the area for indicators....check the anthills in the area....study and learn IP Maps...the pipes are here, waiting for discovery. The middle fork of the Little Laramie river has given up a few diamond indicating minerals, there should be a undiscovered pipe along the river. Vedauwoo Park has Eagle Rock anomaly located right in the middle of the campground! There are several pipes that group with the pipe and the highway cuts right across the structures. The beaver ponds have produced gemstones and are predicted to yield a kimberlite pipe based on IP testing. If you want to explore some Wyoming areas let me know....I am still learning about diamond exploration, but have several great leads on searching for them...have a great day!

Myself and a few co-workers keep trying to plan a trip up in your neck of the woods for a Diamond prospecting session. But we are really just shooting blind. We need us a guide (hint hint). If you have a free day during an upcoming weekend shoot me a PM. I could get 2-3 extra sets of hands to help move material.
JT
sunnymoedawg
QUOTE (everythingiseasy @ Aug 27 2012, 06:25 PM) *
Myself and a few co-workers keep trying to plan a trip up in your neck of the woods for a Diamond prospecting session. But we are really just shooting blind. We need us a guide (hint hint). If you have a free day during an upcoming weekend shoot me a PM. I could get 2-3 extra sets of hands to help move material.
JT

Works for me, I am in the process of *hopefully* getting access to a large deposit of gemstones located in public land that is engulfed with private land. This is turning out to be rather a longer then anticipated project. I am going to knock on the fellow's door that owns the sections blocking the path. I have to inform him per the state law for mineral leasing anyway, he is the surface leasee on the public ground. I do not know if he realizes the fact or not, but his land might be a world class deposits of gemstones with the Wyo Geo Survey in the 1940's indicating over 500,000 short tons of material. Plus the fact he has one of the richest deposits literally within his front yard! I claimed the entire section of public land that has the largest deposit, with material 50-60% being potential gemstone. World War 2 just finished and the concern was for strategic minerals, not pretty gemstones.....I really really hope to gain access to my lease. If not, I guess I better learn how to use a ultralight lol. I am looking for kyanite, apatite, iolite, sillimanite, labradorite, and corrundum. IF I get access I will post a travel log. Give me a couple days to organize some papers for your hunting, I have many reference books for this area in mineral composition. Hardest part about Wyoming is the wind and cold, plus permission from the old boy ranch network. I do have the ability to obtain permission from several large ranches around Iron Mountain and over by Arlington that might be positive, again if you don't like Wyoming weather, wait 5 minutes and see if you do then...do you have any IP maps or use them as KML files? http://mrdata.usgs.gov/ <----- very useful maps live here. I have been concentrating on this project for nearly 2 months, and have spent countless hours researching and praying I can get the access I need, diamonds have kinda been put on the back burner for the moment. Have a great day, and I look forward to more discussions!!!!

BTW

Any suggestions from anyone on the best approach to the guy? He doesn't run cattle on the property. Do I volunteer my time cleaning trash/mending fences? Maybe an access fee for using the road? I plan on presenting a quick breakdown of my work, including the treasure map WSGS made of the locations and quantity of deposits, the follow up work done by authors in the 1960's and even a recent update that Dan Hausel has done on the area. What can I do to insure him I am not DESTROYING the land? I want leave a professional, courteous image of rockhounders to the man The lands were patented to his family long ago, and now just his sister, who live out of state, and him are listed as owning the sections. His father certainly knew of the WSGS scouting the area, he owned the land at the time. I am going to be completely honest and upfront with him. I am not going to be opening a huge mine, I am rock collecting boulders that are literally laying there rusting. The DEQ requires a bond for reclamation, a plan of operations and approval of the plans. The State Lands Office requires several steps, including permission from the private land owners whose land must be crossed, a plan of operation, approval and oh yeah a cut of the money made from anything I sell. Oh well, it will be worth it to find the football sized gemstones I am after.....
russau
thanks for the real nice link!
Yukon Cornelius
QUOTE (sunnymoedawg @ Aug 28 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Works for me, I am in the process of *hopefully* getting access to a large deposit of gemstones located in public land that is engulfed with private land. This is turning out to be rather a longer then anticipated project. I am going to knock on the fellow's door that owns the sections blocking the path. I have to inform him per the state law for mineral leasing anyway, he is the surface leasee on the public ground. I do not know if he realizes the fact or not, but his land might be a world class deposits of gemstones with the Wyo Geo Survey in the 1940's indicating over 500,000 short tons of material. Plus the fact he has one of the richest deposits literally within his front yard! I claimed the entire section of public land that has the largest deposit, with material 50-60% being potential gemstone. World War 2 just finished and the concern was for strategic minerals, not pretty gemstones.....I really really hope to gain access to my lease. If not, I guess I better learn how to use a ultralight lol. I am looking for kyanite, apatite, iolite, sillimanite, labradorite, and corrundum. IF I get access I will post a travel log. Give me a couple days to organize some papers for your hunting, I have many reference books for this area in mineral composition. Hardest part about Wyoming is the wind and cold, plus permission from the old boy ranch network. I do have the ability to obtain permission from several large ranches around Iron Mountain and over by Arlington that might be positive, again if you don't like Wyoming weather, wait 5 minutes and see if you do then...do you have any IP maps or use them as KML files? http://mrdata.usgs.gov/ <----- very useful maps live here. I have been concentrating on this project for nearly 2 months, and have spent countless hours researching and praying I can get the access I need, diamonds have kinda been put on the back burner for the moment. Have a great day, and I look forward to more discussions!!!!

BTW

Any suggestions from anyone on the best approach to the guy? He doesn't run cattle on the property. Do I volunteer my time cleaning trash/mending fences? Maybe an access fee for using the road? I plan on presenting a quick breakdown of my work, including the treasure map WSGS made of the locations and quantity of deposits, the follow up work done by authors in the 1960's and even a recent update that Dan Hausel has done on the area. What can I do to insure him I am not DESTROYING the land? I want leave a professional, courteous image of rockhounders to the man The lands were patented to his family long ago, and now just his sister, who live out of state, and him are listed as owning the sections. His father certainly knew of the WSGS scouting the area, he owned the land at the time. I am going to be completely honest and upfront with him. I am not going to be opening a huge mine, I am rock collecting boulders that are literally laying there rusting. The DEQ requires a bond for reclamation, a plan of operations and approval of the plans. The State Lands Office requires several steps, including permission from the private land owners whose land must be crossed, a plan of operation, approval and oh yeah a cut of the money made from anything I sell. Oh well, it will be worth it to find the football sized gemstones I am after.....

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! It has been awhile since I last looked at forum…

The “approach” is everything. I’ve asked permission to access private land 100s of times (mostly to hunt). First make sure you are not interrupting them. If you need to schedule a time to talk tell them you’ll be back. Second do your very best to NOT lead with the question of “can I have permission…”. It is always best to find a way to build a report with a land owner first. Find an “in”. If you can get the land owner talking about themselves, their business, their hobbies… whatever AND show a sincere interest in them… find that commonality and you’ll have a much better chance at getting the permission you need. It may serve you well to try and find out as much as can about the land owners before you even knock on the door.

For your first conversation I also would NOT go into any great details about your research and plans unless they ask. This might scare them off from the get go. All they need to know is that you have legal mineral claim and you need permission to cross their land to do some rock hounding. Hopefully by the time you need to start thinking about having the State come in for a Plan of Operations evaluation you will have a true friendship with the landowners.

Lastly… save any “potential” financial benefits for the “ace in whole”. Or hopefully… after the friendship and trust has been established a bonus! Imagine the land owners’ reaction to nice little surprise check after you sell your first boulder!

And finally… YES I am still very interested in finding anyone who is up for a diamond prospecting expedition/adventure to the area. Please send me an email or call.

Brian Bahr
605-929-3139
brianmbahr@hotmail.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.