Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knife Making
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Miners Crafts, Goods & Classified ads > Prospector's Crafts & Creations
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
fenixsmom
I can't wait to see this!!!
swizz
QUOTE (Crusty @ Feb 4 2015, 05:45 PM) *
Guess as usual, I had to be difficult lol

Difficult? Nah.... every build has it's challenges and that's what I love about the hobby. I get to learn new stuff almost every time. I'm enjoying learning the nuances of this composite material. happy088.gif
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 5 2015, 07:45 AM) *
So far - so good. The dust is definitely unpleasant. The composite is mostly Lapis... the rest is resins. They combine to make a beautiful but surely toxic cocktail. Using a respirator for this.

Well then let me welcome you to the club that Crusty and I belong to where membership only requires breathing toxic dust containing minerals from Afghanistan. Unless of course their source material came from one of the other small deposits elsewhere in the world, in which case no membership for you.

Have we decided on a common color for the sheath/holster? I've got a quart of light brown oil dye on hand, if that's acceptable I can bring some up when I stop by next weekend.
swizz
No respirator needed today. It's 50 degrees in the shade and feels like 80 in the sun so able to move the op outdoors. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Making progress with that Lapis but definitely slow going. Should have them rough-shaped today. Might be the last pic until I finish.... as not to give too much away. Gotta keep a little suspense for Crunchy. biggrin.gif
20150205_114711 by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
swizz
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Feb 5 2015, 09:51 AM) *
Have we decided on a common color for the sheath/holster? I've got a quart of light brown oil dye on hand, if that's acceptable I can bring some up when I stop by next weekend.

I'll go with any color he decides upon.
Knife is charcoal colored steel with nickel-silver bolsters and deep blue Lapis scales. My vote would have to be black if I were making this for general sale based on that color scheme, BUT not sure how black would work with the pea shooter. Mike's call.
I know.... let's put Lapis scales on the pea shooter! laugh.gif
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 5 2015, 01:22 PM) *
I'll go with any color he decides upon.
Knife is charcoal colored steel with nickel-silver bolsters and deep blue Lapis scales. My vote would have to be black if I were making this for general sale based on that color scheme, BUT not sure how black would work with the pea shooter. Mike's call.
I know.... let's put Lapis scales on the pea shooter! laugh.gif

Dude, that's gonna be so cool! That lapis is going to look amazing when it is finished. That is going to be an amazing piece!

Black works for me if it woks from Brandon.
Dypheron
QUOTE (Crusty @ Feb 5 2015, 07:45 PM) *
Dude, that's gonna be so cool! That lapis is going to look amazing when it is finished. That is going to be an amazing piece!

Black works for me if it woks from Brandon.

Black it is.
swizz
Slowly but surely.
I fractured one of the Lapis scales when drilling unfortunately. Hairline fractures but I couldn't live with it. I replaced that scale and am back on track but need nice weather so I can continue shaping it outdoors. It's still in rough form and too toxic for me to grind indoors. I'm going to give drilling another shot today, fingers crossed.
sneak peek
Work in progress... by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
Crusty
damn dude, that is gonna be pretty amazing!! I am so excited! greensmilies-012.gif
swizz
It's been nice enough outside that I've been able to work on the Lapis knife outdoors for the last three days.
It's still in the rough form and shape but I'm making decent progress, getting close!
Here's another sneak peek because I want to show off my tolerances, this is an excellent fit all around. Once I etch the Damascus that center spine will be black.
Progress... by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
fenixsmom
That is just beautiful!
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 8 2015, 01:38 PM) *
It's been nice enough outside that I've been able to work on the Lapis knife outdoors for the last three days.
It's still in the rough form and shape but I'm making decent progress, getting close!
Here's another sneak peek because I want to show off my tolerances, this is an excellent fit all around. Once I etch the Damascus that center spine will be black.

I get more excited every pic you post! Hope the weather holds so maybe it'll be done by the time we hook up in April! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Really close to completion of your knife Crusty. I finished shaping the bolsters and Lapis yesterday.... everything is down to #600 grit. Many days to get it to this stage, that's a difficult material.
I'll spend the majority of today buffing those components, then re-etch the Damascus. Curious to see how my FeCl etching solution effects the Nickel Silver bolsters and pins. If all that goes well... she's done!
Next I'll start on your crossdraw sheath and I have some good ideas for that. This knife is large (long) and heavy. The Lapis weighs as much as the steel. That will present a few sheathing and carry challenges but not a huge obstacle. I got the knife to balance at the rear of the bolsters. This is a feat considering the weight of those scales.
I'll need to know the width of the belt which you'll primarily be using to carry this monster. I recommend a 1.5" - 2" wide belt for carrying both knife and gun.
I'm holding off on pics until the set is complete. Actually, I'll probably hold off posting pics until you receive it. tongue.gif

Brandon - I'd like to do a basket weave pattern on this sheath (in the spirit of all that is fancy). Would you like to do one on the holster to match? If so, I can send you my stamp tool so that we match patterns. I could send it to you either before or after I use it. Should be stamped prior to dying or holster assembly and sewing so might be too late on your end.
Crusty
can't wait to see it! Sounds like it is gonna be too purdy to use! :)

Can't remember if my belt is 1/5 or 2"; will measure when I get home.

Not to add work, but while you are measuring it for a sheath, if you can keep the measurements and whenever you get time, I'd also like to have a "normal" carry sheath for when I'm not packing heat. No hurry, whenever you get around to it; let me know if I can pre-purchase the materials for it. I did have an idea pop up, thinking of how cool the Damascus will look... think you could do something like this with a cutout to show off the blade too? Just an idea.

No pressure... whenever you have time, even if it's a next winter project

I am so stoked! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

swizz
Sure, I can do another sheath for it that is not crossdraw for more practical carry. happy088.gif
I'll need more leather so perhaps we can work something out with that, maybe a 7-9oz double shoulder or half shoulder of Hermann Oaks from Springfield Leather. I would do that as a trade.
The open blade reveal isn't a good plan. Sheaths are designed to protect the blade and keep it dry... that would do neither. If it was just an ornamental wall knife, then I could be talked into it but this baby deserves to be used AND protected. You want to keep this blade free of moisture, and I recommend keeping it lightly oiled at all times. It shouldn't be stored in any sheath for long periods of time (no knife should). Damascus is very prone to oxidization due to the high carbon steels.
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 16 2015, 08:48 AM) *
Sure, I can do another sheath for it that is not crossdraw for more practical carry. happy088.gif I'll need more leather so perhaps we can work something out with that, maybe a 7-9oz double shoulder or half shoulder of Hermann Oaks from Springfield Leather. I would do that as a trade. The open blade reveal isn't a good plan. Sheaths are designed to protect the blade and keep it dry... that would do neither. If it was just an ornamental wall knife, then I could be talked into it but this baby deserves to be used AND protected. You want to keep this blade free of moisture, and I recommend keeping it lightly oiled at all times. It shouldn't be stored in any sheath for long periods of time (no knife should). Damascus is very prone to oxidization due to the high carbon steels.

Thanks, as always, for being so nice when you say, "these ain't no sissy hang on the wall knives, they're the real deal, stop trying to sissify them!" gen069.gif

Shoot me a PM with what you need and I'll hook it up!

swizz
QUOTE (Crusty @ Mar 16 2015, 10:37 AM) *
Thanks, as always, for being so nice when you say, "these ain't no sissy hang on the wall knives, they're the real deal, stop trying to sissify them!" gen069.gif

smiley-laughing021.gif
This is how I can best sum it up....
Knives and sheaths are tools.
It's not a crime to embellish them, as long as it doesn't compromise the integrity or performance of the tool.
Denise
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 16 2015, 07:01 AM) *
Brandon - I'd like to do a basket weave pattern on this sheath (in the spirit of all that is fancy). Would you like to do one on the holster to match? If so, I can send you my stamp tool so that we match patterns. I could send it to you either before or after I use it. Should be stamped prior to dying or holster assembly and sewing so might be too late on your end.

Brandon is in Germany for a couple of weeks.
swizz
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Mar 17 2015, 07:27 AM) *
Brandon is in Germany for a couple of weeks.

Oh that's right! He sent me a text saying he was leaving. International man of the world. greensmilies-017.gif
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 18 2015, 07:09 AM) *
Oh that's right! He sent me a text saying he was leaving. International man of the world. greensmilies-017.gif

Yep. I'll be back sometime next weekend.

Truth be told I'm not very confident in my basketweave stamping abilities, I haven't had very much luck keeping the stamps lined up correctly. I plan on doing a wet formed two piece holster, which won't allow for the stamping anyway. Well I suppose I could, but it'd look like crap after the wet forming.

I should be able to have it done before the 4th, but I can't be 100% sure of that. Should have brought some supplies with me, with as much time I waste sitting here doing nothing I could have finished a whole bunch of projects.
swizz
Yup, I agree that the basket weave would not take well to wet forming.
swizz
Started on your sheath design today Crusty.
Lapis Knife Sheath Design by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
Crusty
TEASE! That picture is alike a low cut blouse... enough to give you a peek, but not enough to see the goods! smiley-shocked003.gif

So stoked to see the finished product! dancing_smiley.gif

I'll shoot you my belt width when I get home.

swizz
Mike, before I go further with this design..... I have this sketched at a 45 degree angle. Does that look good to you? I can adjust now in either direction.
Can also situate higher or lower on the belt if you like. Let me know on those two things before I proceed. It's a big package at about a foot or more long.
45 degree cross draw by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 25 2015, 11:37 AM) *
Mike, before I go further with this design..... I have this sketched at a 45 degree angle. Does that look good to you? I can adjust now in either direction. Can also situate higher or lower on the belt if you like. Let me know on those two things before I proceed.

I don't have a protractor, so hopefully you can dial it in with this. Positioning a 12" ruler, for a comfortable reach to draw, the center point of the belt/sheath was right about 7" (from back to front). From the top of the belt to the bottom of the end of the ruler (blade handle) was 3". Not sure what angle that would make it.

QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 25 2015, 11:37 AM) *
It's a big package

I get that a lot! smiley-laughing021.gif

swizz
That was confusing. Belt width in the sketch is not representative of actual size, pictured much larger just for orientation purposes.
Regarding crossdraw angle: Do you want me to reposition the butt of the handle higher or lower?
We'll address that first and I'll amend the sketch.

...... after that we'll have a look and determine the other factor.
fenixsmom
"I get that a lot."
extra_happy.gif laught16.gif
swizz
Mike, I have dropped the angle by 10 degrees in this sketch and the depicted belt width is 1 5/8" here.
Still interested in angle... will this angle work? Only interested in "angle" right now. We'll get height next.
35 degree angle cross draw by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
Crusty
That looks about right! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Sweet! Now... would you like the rig (at this same angle) to ride higher or lower on the belt?
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 25 2015, 03:25 PM) *
Sweet! Now... would you like the rig (at this same angle) to ride higher or lower on the belt?

Seems like it is right about where it oughta be, with the top corner lining up with the top of the belt; any higher and it'd be poking in to my fatness lol

swizz
Bring your belt along to the CP outing this Saturday. I have the sheath pattern traced and cut out (on manila, not leather). I will bring it and want to try it on you before committing to cutting the leather. I'll also bring your completed knife for approval. We can still make changes to that as well if you like.
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 2 2015, 04:34 PM) *
Bring your belt along to the CP outing this Saturday. I have the sheath pattern traced and cut out (on manila, not leather). I will bring it and want to try it on you before committing to cutting the leather. I'll also bring your completed knife for approval. We can still make changes to that as well if you like.

greensmilies-012.gif smiley-clapping.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif dancing_smiley.gif extra_happy.gif excited.gif happy088.gif worthy.gif bop.gif sweet.gif cheers.gif

swizz
Time for a pictorial update. I have been without a PC for a while now but finally got a new one so I can process and upload images from the DSLR properly again.
Here are the final pics of that Lapis Damascus knife (w/crossdraw sheath) that I made for Crusty.

Lapis Damascus 1 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Lapis Damascus 2 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Lapis Damascus 3 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Lapis Damascus 4 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Lapis Damascus 5 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Lapis Damascus 6 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
OklaPony
Wow, that looks fantastic!
Crusty
I purple_heart.gif it! You are an amazing artist my friend!!
swizz
QUOTE (Crusty @ Sep 28 2015, 12:45 PM) *
I purple_heart.gif it!

That is the bottom line and I am very happy that you like it!
swizz
Here is another pair that I made this summer. It is a Damascus Camping Duo that I made for my nephew and his wife as their wedding gift. Both of their initials are EE. They were really happy with the gift! happy.gif
I had purchased 5 of the Buck Deer snap sets. One went to Crusty's Lapis and these are two of the others which I used on the two sheaths below. I created the Doe for his wife. Had to carefully remove the antlers with jeweler files and then buffing to make it a female Deer for her sheath. giggle.gif

Camping Duo 2 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Camping Duo 3 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Camping Duo 1 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Denise
Those turned out fantastic Chris!!! worthy.gif You definitely have talent! I really like how you made hers a doe.... nice work, you had your thinker on for that one. cheers.gif
swizz
Thanks Denise!
Here's another. This is a Canadian style skinner that is for my big brother who lives in Broomfield.
Steel: 440C
Scales: Redwood Burl, dyed and stabilized
Spacers: vulcanized paper, rust
Mosaic Pins: Morning Star
Sheath: Hermann Oaks cowhide, dyed Saddle Tan

C Skinner 1 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

C Skinner 2 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

C Skinner 3 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

C Skinner 4 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

C Skinner 5 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Crusty
Saw this thing in person... it is an amazing work! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Thanks Mike!
emoticon-object-024.gif Snowed-in today and busy wet forming leather that will be used to make a pouch-style sheath for another folding knife that I'm making. Found another use for that big black Gold pan! laugh.gif

Wet Forming Leather by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
swizz
Next step I press the leather over the male end of the die using my fingers and that white modeling tool. Ready for clamping.

Wet Forming 2 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
swizz
Clamped.... 7 clamps.
I'll leave it clamped for a couple days.

Wet Forming 3 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Denise
Looks like a very fun project Chris!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I am very curious to know what the surface is you are showing these things on?! chin.gif Looks like absolutely beautiful wood from what I can see. wub.gif
swizz
It is some kind of exotic marble (I think?) that is polished, very heavy. It's about 4ft X 2ft and the table top for my work bench now. It's about 1.5 inches thick and great for leather work. A leftover freebie from one of those mansions that I've worked on. happy088.gif

Stone Workbench by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
Auger
That is a beautiful table. I love the chaos.
swizz
I pulled the leather from the die. It dried well overnight here with the fire going and was ready.

Wet Forming 4 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Wet Forming 5 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
swizz
Maker's mark and ready to cut.

Wet Forming 6 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
swizz
Ready for leather dye. I think I'm gonna go with black for this one.

Wet Forming 7 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.