Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book Recommendations?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Historical Equipment and Tales
swizz
I've been devouring books at a high rate lately and am ready for a new read.
Any good recommendations for fiction or non-fiction books that pertain to or are set in an historical mining backdrop?
Preferably downloadable since I'm using Kindle.
Thanks!
leonard
QUOTE (swizz @ May 2 2012, 08:10 AM) *
I've been devouring books at a high rate lately and am ready for a new read.
Any good recommendations for fiction or non-fiction books that pertain to or are set in an historical mining backdrop?
Preferably downloadable since I'm using Kindle.
Thanks!

For a good series of fiction, try http://www.booksbymitchell.com/cover.htm I have Gold rush 2000 and Gold Raid and enjoyed them. I see he has 2 new books I haven't read so I'll have to order them.

Leonard
Kevin In Centennial
On kindle try "In the heart of the Rockies" by Hently

Fun first person story of the early days in CO! ....I am about 1/2 way thru it now :-)
swizz
Thanks for the recommendations!
I just downloaded a Zane Grey book; "Shower Of Gold" and started reading it tonight. Very good so far! Oddly, I have never read Zane Grey novels. Could be a new niche for me... he was a prolific writer from that period.
Leonard, Ed's books aren't downloadable yet but I want to read his trilogy starting with Gold Lust.
Kevin, I will download "In The Heart Of The Rockies". That one is definitely right up my alley and I will read it next.
Thanks! cheers.gif
swizz
I just finished "Shower Of Gold" by Zane Grey and really liked that one! Definitely a quick and easy read.
I tried to purchase and download "In The Heart Of The Rockies" from the Kindle Store on my device and ran into a wall of frustration with the Kindle/Amazon app when trying to log in and complete payment.
I normally download books from Google Play which is super easy to pay.
I found the book download on Google Play but unfortunately it is only available in "scanned pages" which sucks.
Kindle/Amazon has the good version available but they won't let me log in from my device so they have lost my business.
I might dive into another Zane Grey novel from Google Play.
swizz
.... I went with "Riders Of The Purple Sage"
russau
what i really like about Zane Gray is that of the books/stories he writes about, he visited those areas/towns and has a feel of what it was like and has actual referances of the locations. that ,to me, really adds to the story!
swizz
Russ, I agree! Damn good author for that genre any way you slice it.

I'm half way through "Riders Of The Purple Sage" now... really enjoying it. research.gif eating-popcorn-03.gif
OkieJon
I don't know if this is available in Kindle but it is a good read if you hang with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-gold-William...e/dp/0910118221
swizz
Thanks Jon!
I'm still on the Zane Grey books.... finished Riders of the Purple Sage and have been reading Rainbow Trail now which is a sequel.
Kurt
Across the Northern Frontier: Spanish Explorations in Colorado by Phil Carson

Books by H. glenn carson
EMac
After about a year long search, I've finally found it at a reasonable price. Some experienced miners last year highly recommended reading "Gold: The Noble Mineral" by extraLapis which is no longer printed as far as I can tell.

It's on Amazon for over $100, but Strand Books in NYC emailed me this morning that they found a copy. Called them up and for $17.50 plus some shipping, it's on the way. Pretty stoked! extra_happy.gif

I originally ordered it a year ago on their website, but they cancelled the order because they couldn't physically locate the book.

Resurrecting Swizz' original questions, I like cop/private eye dramas, and Robert Crais is one of favorite authors (used to write for Hill Street Blues). I've picked up some old geology and gold books, and I like the Colorado Roadside Geology one, but the others I wouldn't recommend. Otherwise, I try to keep up with The Economist, Fortune and Parachutist news, but I'm almost ready to drop my Fortune subscription.
fenixsmom
Can't help on you on that one, i only read dirty girl books! smiley-shocked003.gif
Dypheron
It's not a mining related novel but I think The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton would suit your fancy.
EMac
Oooh...just remembered one of my all time favorite science fiction books: The Mote in God's Eye.

I might have to find that to read again....the endorsement from Heinlein alone should be enough to pique your interest if you're into that genre.

@fenixsmom - those will rot your brain tongue.gif
@dypheron - I like Crichton too; don't recall if I've read that one though.
Dypheron
QUOTE (EMac @ Sep 18 2014, 05:28 PM) *
Oooh...just remembered one of my all time favorite science fiction books: The Mote in God's Eye.

I might have to find that to read again....the endorsement from Heinlein alone should be enough to pique your interest if you're into that genre.

@fenixsmom - those will rot your brain tongue.gif
@dypheron - I like Crichton too; don't recall if I've read that one though.

Hands down my favorite author. I fell in love with his level of detail, something that was always lost in translation with movie adaptations of his work.
EMac
Heinlein's really good, and I agree...books are almost always better than the movie.
russau
one of my all time favorites is : Anceint rivers of gold it is usually listed in the back of my ICMJ magazine. it came with maps and a ancient River that im still looking for! this book refers to the "Blue Lead" on the west coast.
EMac
QUOTE (EMac @ Sep 18 2014, 01:23 PM) *
After about a year long search, I've finally found it at a reasonable price. Some experienced miners last year highly recommended reading "Gold: The Noble Mineral" by extraLapis which is no longer printed as far as I can tell.

This is a great book so far...lots of interesting info.
Click to view attachment
RhodoRose
"Money Mountain" by Marshall Sprague - a hilarious, tongue-in-cheek true history of Cripple Creek! Out of print, but readily and cheaply available on eBay... research.gif

Also by Marshall Sprague (and out of print but, again, readily available): "A Gallery of Dudes"
swizz
Thanks Rhodo, those sound like my genre... I'll seek them out!
Snacksquatch
QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 2 2014, 10:00 AM) *
Thanks Rhodo, those sound like my genre... I'll seek them out!

Rhodo beat me to Money Mountain, its a GREAT one!

Also, Climax by Stephen Voynick is a history of the Climax molybdenum mine, its a bit dry but really interesting. Incidentally, he's also written a couple good rockhounding books for Colorado as well.

If youre looking for fiction, check out stuff by Jack DuBrul, he's got a Clive Cussler style except his main hero is a geologist :)
leonard
This is a pretty good fiction book. Gold Rush 2000 The price is right. There's a sequel but I can't find it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Rush-2000-origi...k/dp/0966844734

Leonard

EMac
I'm finishing up Lee Child's Jack Reacher series and I'm looking for recommendations for a new series. Any suggestions? Gold Rush looks like it's worth a read if I can find it as an ebook, but I'd still like to find a new author/series that I enjoy.
swizz
I read electronically on the Samsung Note now and my eyes love me for it. happy.gif
Just downloaded a Zane Grey 42 novels package for 99 cents the other day through Kindle!!! It might take me the rest of my life to finish all of those. I love his writing though and that is a hell of a bargain.
Last mining specific book I read was Diary Of A Forty Niner and really liked it.
CP
That is a great deal on all those novels .... sweet!
I'll second the recommendation for "A Diary of A 49er" to read also, I thoroughly enjoyed that book as well. signs021.gif
EMac
I'm still rolling with a 3rd edition Kindle; it's been great for years and is still going strong. I might have to pick up some Zane Grey; I've been reading y'all's reviews, and $1 for the mega pack might be worth a look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.