Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mine Tour Suggestions?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Historical Equipment and Tales
swizz
My ex-girlfriend's birthday is coming up later this month and she said she wanted to go on a mine tour.
Wondering if any of you have recommendations for the Idaho Springs area.
We looked at the Phoenix Mine and the Argo Mine websites... they BOTH look good.
Anyone been to either of these or know of another that's better?
Thanks.
amorton
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 8 2012, 07:16 PM) *
My ex-girlfriend's birthday is coming up later this month and she said she wanted to go on a mine tour.
Wondering if any of you have recommendations for the Idaho Springs area.
We looked at the Phoenix Mine and the Argo Mine websites... they BOTH look good.
Anyone been to either of these or know of another that's better?
Thanks.

been to Phoenix, it was worth it for sure guide was nice and tour has some good gold in the leftover pillars. I would suggest bringing a headlamp if you have one the lighting is minimal as it's solar powered.
leonard
A real good one in the Cripple Creek area is the Molly Kathleen Mine.

http://www.goldminetours.com/goldminetours.com/Home.html

I guarantee, phew, I had to look that up, that you will love it! I took my kids on the tour about 30 years ago and it was great. They drop you down 1,000 feet in a tiny elevator. It's really neat!
Leonard

swizz
Thanks yous guys! cheers.gif
The Molly Kathleen is definitely on my wish list. It's too far away for this trip though.
I'm gonna start with the Phoenix and I have a good head lamp (didn't even think of that, thanks!).
Am I allowed to take pictures in there?
leonard
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 9 2012, 05:37 PM) *
Thanks yous guys! cheers.gif
The Molly Kathleen is definitely on my wish list. It's too far away for this trip though.
I'm gonna start with the Phoenix and I have a good head lamp (didn't even think of that, thanks!).
Am I allowed to take pictures in there?

I did when we took the tour during the Miners Rally way back when. I worked with the owner, Al Mosch back in 1970 at Beech Aircraft in Boulder. We were manufacturing the redesigned oxygen tanks for Apollo 14, 15, and 16.

Leonard
Kevin In Centennial
The mine tour near Ouray is really great too - you ride over half a mile underground on a mine train!
Denise
QUOTE (leonard @ Apr 9 2012, 07:03 PM) *
I did when we took the tour during the Miners Rally way back when. I worked with the owner, Al Mosch back in 1970 at Beech Aircraft in Boulder. We were manufacturing the redesigned oxygen tanks for Apollo 14, 15, and 16.

Leonard

The rally we had in 04' was definately a blast and was spread out to several great locations like The Phoenix! I never knew that about you and Al Leonard.... fantastic! We learn something new everyday, thanks. happy.gif Al is a great guy to know.

Warning: Just don't let them talk her into rubbing the fertility rock that is on the mine tour. Al says "it makes weard things happen" wacko.gif giggle.gif

I recommend trying to hit all as time provides, as they are all great in their own way with great Colorado mining history!

Have a great time Chris and tell her "Happy Birthday" from us.
swizz
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Apr 10 2012, 09:28 AM) *
I recommend trying to hit all as time provides, as they are all great in their own way with great Colorado mining history!

I want to!
I'll post pics from the Phoenix if they let me take em.
Kevin In Centennial
Another good one: the mining museum in Creede is in a custom built real underground 'mine'. Fun!
Coalbunny
QUOTE (Kevin In Centennial @ Apr 9 2012, 07:09 PM) *
The mine tour near Ouray is really great too - you ride over half a mile underground on a mine train!

Been in there several times back in the late 80s. Great tour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.