Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video - DIY Underwater Viewers
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Goldfever51
Hi Everyone,

I just finished a fairly detailed 20 minute video on how to build 2 very strong and durable underwater viewers, one 12" x 3" and a 24" x 4". They only cost about $12 each and less than an hour to build, have a Lexan lens (which is recessed for protection). And you don't need a shop to do so, in fact, I built these outside on the back of my pickup to show this.

The sizes are a for demonstration only in the video, you can make these any size you want, even use larger pipe if you can get the parts, the video shows how to make them so that sizes can be varied to suit your own needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eNrtPtstfQ

IMPORTANT NOTE: I Have had a few people say that using ABS cement to glue these together was difficult as it dries so fast. If you like, you can use silicone instead but before you start, give the inside of the coupling and outside of the pipe (only where the coupling covers the pipe) a light sand for a better bond and when you attach the coupling to the pipe later in the video, only use silicone on the outside of the pipe - this will prevent the pipe from pushing silicone inside the coupling and possibly onto the Lexan lens.

Also, after you slide the coupling onto the pipe, put some weight on it until the silicone sets up - keeps it from sliding back (it may do this a little, I am not sure why, seems to happen with silicone)

If you want to know how I cut the lenses? I rough cut on my miter saw and then finished with my belt sander with 80 grit. Then took off the sanding burrs with a mill file. You can also use a bench scroll saw, coping saw or even a jig saw (with protective coating on the jig saw base to prevent scratching through the plastic coating on the lexan), if you use a jig saw, use a very fine tooth or metal blade to prevent chipping the plastic.

P.S. Is there a way to insert Youtube videos directly into a post in the forum, much better than a link?

Enjoy!
swizz
Henry,
I just watched the vid. Welcome to CP and definitely thanks for posting this! I've been wanting a scope for a while now and will probably build the smaller of the two. Very innovative, clean, and fast build that you have come up with. Smart and simple design.
Thanks! cheers.gif
Goldfever51
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 6 2012, 07:00 AM) *
Henry,
I just watched the vid. Welcome to CP and definitely thanks for posting this! I've been wanting a scope for a while now and will probably build the smaller of the two. Very innovative, clean, and fast build that you have come up with. Smart and simple design.
Thanks! cheers.gif

Thanks Swizz

I will doing another video on these shortly. One where only silicone is used and an easy way to cut the Lexan to the rough shape (and I am trying to figure out how to include a light and a soft flange at the top where you look through that is cheaper than the Rubber reducer).

I've also had some people ask me online if I make these for sale, so I might show that at the end of the video as well (have to figure out if there is enough money to be made first though). In this way, handy DIY'ers can make it themselves, and anyone who wants to order one can do so if they don't have the tools or time.

Either way, the video will show every detail like this current video. Also plan to do video on a manual suction dredge later on (after I get out in the bush and test it first - about a month from now)
swizz
Yeah, Lexan can be a tricky little beast to cut for sure. I know I've fractured it while drilling before. I'm betting a bandsaw might not be a bad idea (although I don't have one). I have a DeWalt jigsaw along with fine-tooth blades and I think I'll try to cut it with that. I also have the protective base (non-scratch) for it as you mentioned in the vid. I have a Dremel with router kit.... do you think that might work well to cut Lexan? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Sometimes they will cut it for you at the hardware store too, at least in my small town. Not sure if they can do curved cuts though, I'll check.
As for shaping it after the rough-cut, I have a nice belt sander which might work well. I think that my Dremel with the small barrel-shaped sander bit would probably work for that too.
Thanks again Henry, I needed another small project. wacko.gif
Hey, that's what keeps us young!
Goldfever51
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 6 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Yeah, Lexan can be a tricky little beast to cut for sure. I know I've fractured it while drilling before. I'm betting a bandsaw might not be a bad idea (although I don't have one). I have a DeWalt jigsaw along with fine-tooth blades and I think I'll try to cut it with that. I also have the protective base (non-scratch) for it as you mentioned in the vid. I have a Dremel with router kit.... do you think that might work well to cut Lexan? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Sometimes they will cut it for you at the hardware store too, at least in my small town. Not sure if they can do curved cuts though, I'll check.
As for shaping it after the rough-cut, I have a nice belt sander which might work well. I think that my Dremel with the small barrel-shaped sander bit would probably work for that too.
Thanks again Henry, I needed another small project. wacko.gif
Hey, that's what keeps us young!

I just did a little test (on 3 mil Lexan)

I first cut the square out just a little larger than the markings with my mitre saw (table saw would work to, or just by it cut square a little larger than you need). I then took a metal straight edge and used an exacto knife to score the Lexan (not pexiglass or arcylic) to take off the corners. I then took a pair of plyers (nice flat nose type - wide), layed the lexan on a hard surface with just the piece to remove over hanging and with a quick snap of the plyers, snapped the corner off. Did this 4 times with no prob. Now the remainder can easily be taken off with a belt sander.

Note: Remember, this is 3mm or 1/8", any thicker it probably won't work. Might be a good idea to test on a part of the Lexan you do not plan to use or that maybe has a few scratches or damage. It is funny that Lexan will do this because it is so strong for direct impact _ I tested it with a hammer and gave the lens a direct "Hard" hit with the hammer and not cracking - barely even any damage to the surface. Lexan is great stuff to work with.
swizz
Good trick with the plyers! You are a braver man than I.... but I will try it (on scrap first).

and I'm glad that you just mentioned "Lexan, not plexiglass or acrylic". I thought they were all similar but they are not. I need to see what the hardware store here has. I know I can order it online if not.
swizz
Henry,
I just found this on eBay: Round Cut Lexan 1/8

He sells these in 5" and 6" diameters. That sounds like a good deal and takes the cutting out of the process if the I.D. of the tube can be purchased in either of those sizes.
Goldfever51
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 6 2012, 02:48 PM) *
Henry,
I just found this on eBay: Round Cut Lexan 1/8

He sells these in 5" and 6" diameters. That sounds like a good deal and takes the cutting out of the process if the I.D. of the tube can be purchased in either of those sizes.

Awesome find Swizz, If I start to build these to sell, I'll see if this guy can pre cut. If he can make them a particular size, I should include the link in my next video too.

swizz
I clicked on his "see sellers other items" and he has different diameters pre-cut up to 11". I'm thinking he has a die-stamp press.
The smallest diameter he sells is 4". I may have to make a 4" mini scope (rather than 3").
Goldfever51
Hi Swizz

Only prob with 5" of 4" is that neither is the right size. Here is Canada, (I think the US is the same) the inside dimension of a 4" ABS coupling is 4 1/2" so the lens would need to be about 4 15/32" and the seller does not have a 4 1/2" size - if you have to buy 5", may as well just get square stock.

When you try to contact the seller, it seems that you can't, even though is says in his info below that you can contact him for custom sizes. It might be that I am in Canada and he has is eBay settings to only allow USA contacts - I'm not sure.

It would be nice to be able to get a hold of him to see if he can cut custom sizes.

I think it says somewhere that these are cut with a router (probably a CNC machine).

swizz
QUOTE (Goldfever51 @ Apr 7 2012, 08:44 AM) *
It would be nice to be able to get a hold of him to see if he can cut custom sizes.

I think it says somewhere that these are cut with a router (probably a CNC machine).

yeah, I agree.
I'll try sending him an ebay message... but I need to get my tube first to get an exact measurement of the I.D.
If he can't cut it, it's not a difficult DIY like you said. His rounds were cheaper than buying sheets though, and I only need to make one lens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.