Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kimberlite pipes
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Pages: 1, 2
leonard
Here's a little item I found on another forum.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id...onds_to_surface

Click to view attachment

This thin slice of a kimberlite rock from northern Canada, seen through a microscope and in polarized light, shows colorful minerals caught up in magma that rose from deep within the Earth.

Leonard

ASTROBLEME
I use thin sections frequently but I thought it would be nice to add a "hand specimen" in here to help those prospecting for pipes to ID kimberlite in the field. Here's a pic of a kimberlite sample from my private collection. It came from a diamond bearing pipe in northwest Canada;

Click to view attachment

The interesting thing I've discovered is that some kimberlite thin sections look very much like meteorite thin sections, in a general way. Kimberlite grains are often rounded much like chondrules that are seen in meteorites. Here is a pic I just took of a thin section I have from a kimberlite pipe in Fayette County Pennsylvania;

Click to view attachment

Now compare that kimberlite thin section to a meteorite I found last summer;

Click to view attachment

You can see the rounded grains that I think are the result of high speed erosion, in the pipe on the way up, or in space when the dust grains accumulate at cosmic velocitiy. Of course this is only my opinion but it is rather interesting, don't ya think?

ASTROBLEME
leonard
QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Feb 28 2012, 05:02 PM) *
I use thin sections frequently but I thought it would be nice to add a "hand specimen" in here to help those prospecting for pipes to ID kimberlite in the field. Here's a pic of a kimberlite sample from my private collection. It came from a diamond bearing pipe in northwest Canada;

Click to view attachment

The interesting thing I've discovered is that some kimberlite thin sections look very much like meteorite thin sections, in a general way. Kimberlite grains are often rounded much like chondrules that are seen in meteorites. Here is a pic I just took of a thin section I have from a kimberlite pipe in Fayette County Pennsylvania;

Click to view attachment

Now compare that kimberlite thin section to a meteorite I found last summer;

Click to view attachment

You can see the rounded grains that I think are the result of high speed erosion, in the pipe on the way up, or in space when the dust grains accumulate at cosmic velocitiy. Of course this is only my opinion but it is rather interesting, don't ya think?

ASTROBLEME

I'm ready for a trip to northern colorado whenever anyone that knows what they are doin wants an assistant.
Leonard
ASTROBLEME
Leonard,

If you are going to northern Colorado, rather than northern Canada, then this is the type of kimberlite you'd want to find...

Click to view attachment

ASTROBLEME
Diamond Digger
Hi,
Pictures of the land on top of a Kimberlite Pipe (Yellow ground) in Africa.
Years ago I found the pipe by accident had it tested and was pleasantly surprised.
The room was 14c the electron microscope showed the tiny diamonds and all the important indicators. I was smiling from ear to ear and the Geologist was sweating! He asked several times where I found the sample and was pretty upset when I refused to say!
Now if only I had the money to start the mine!
Have fun
DD
russau
haha, DD, even a fish wouldnt get caught if he kept his mouth shut! goodluck on your find!
ASTROBLEME
DD,

Having the pipe so close to a water source should cut mine development expenses significantly.

ASTROBLEME
Diamond Digger
Astrobleme
Yeah very true and there is about 100 000 tons of alluvial material right on top of the pipe so one can start mining as soon as the Washing pans are set up. Takes about three days to set up..
Then once the loose gravel has been removed you step in with brooms and brush the rock clean this is where you find almost all the diamonds that was released out of the Kimberlite.. big paydays hahaha
Then you start blasting and crushing.... I can smell the diesel fumes already emoticon-misc-004.gif
The area is well known for the large stones, if you hear of a 200 ct stone found in Africa this is the area...
Greetings.
DD
Diamond Digger
BTW,
Thought I would mention it.
Diamond mining does not use a lot of water at all! I used to run two pans with about 500 liters of water per day.
So water is not such an issue you can fill up a 600 gallon tank at home and tow it into wherever you are working every day!
Have fun!
DD
Caveman
DD, how is the location you found in Africa doing? Very well, good, or not developed yet? I'm wishing you the best of luck there!
Diamond Digger
QUOTE (Caveman @ Apr 16 2014, 12:32 PM) *
DD, how is the location you found in Africa doing? Very well, good, or not developed yet? I'm wishing you the best of luck there!

Caveman: Not mining it, since the ANC took over South Africa, they have brought in laws that allows them to take your mine away from you and pay what they see fit. So there are 2 very rich Kimberlite pipes in Africa that will not be developed and the locations will probably die with me, that is if I die have no intentions too hahaha.
But I am meeting with a group of Investors this week after long negotiations and if all goes well I will be opening a diamond mine soon. But not in South Africa, since 1994 70 000 white Farmers and their families have been murdered there under the ANC rule I do not aim to become a statistic.. Check Farm murders on Youtube if you have a strong stomach.
DD
russau
well you could always sell the info to the location to the highest bidder with a confidentiality contract not to divulge any info to anyone. a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!
Diamond Digger
Hi,
SA just passed a new law so that they can take any mine they want.
So that makes the pipes worthless.
DD
Diamond Digger
It is not all Doom and Gloom,
A few pictures of one of my recent prospecting trips...

Enjoy!

Pic 1, core sample from the bottom of the pit of pic 2.
Pic 2, Kimberlite with the green lava ash, mostly weathered.
DD
ASTROBLEME
QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ Jul 6 2015, 03:21 AM) *
It is not all Doom and Gloom,
A few pictures of one of my recent prospecting trips...

Enjoy!

Pic 1, core sample from the bottom of the pit of pic 2.
Pic 2, Kimberlite with the green lava ash, mostly weathered.
DD

DD,

Looks like you are onto a deposit with characteristics of the State Line Mining District. As far as I know, all kimberlite pipes in the district carry diamonds. Now you just have to wash the gems out of the sticky blue-green mud.

If you are in a crater lake setting, then the diamonds and garnets will be highly concentrated over the eons of wave action as they cannot wash out away from the pipe diatreme that is surrounded by granite walls. If you are in a stream setting that is cutting across the pipe, then the diamonds will concentrate as other heavy minerals do. They are just harder to collect the further away from the pipe that the stream travels. I've attached a photo of a stream that is developing a placer containing the blue-green clay that I discovered 10 or 11 years ago. You can see the close resemblance to what you've found.

I certainly am excited by the looks of your pit photos.

Congratulations!

Click to view attachment
Diamond Digger
Astro,
As it is this deposit is quite some distance away from the state line, but so far the test we ran looks good, waiting on the bulk sample permits then we will give it a good going over.

Like your picture, that looks like a run to me, meaning the lava flowed away from the pipe and formed a thick layer of kimberlite that's now in the weathering process. Needs sampling!!

DD

DD,

Looks like you are onto a deposit with characteristics of the State Line Mining District. As far as I know, all kimberlite pipes in the district carry diamonds. Now you just have to wash the gems out of the sticky blue-green mud.

If you are in a crater lake setting, then the diamonds and garnets will be highly concentrated over the eons of wave action as they cannot wash out away from the pipe diatreme that is surrounded by granite walls. If you are in a stream setting that is cutting across the pipe, then the diamonds will concentrate as other heavy minerals do. They are just harder to collect the further away from the pipe that the stream travels. I've attached a photo of a stream that is developing a placer containing the blue-green clay that I discovered 10 or 11 years ago. You can see the close resemblance to what you've found.

I certainly am excited by the looks of your pit photos.

Congratulations!

Diamond Digger
A few Pictures of Pyrope Garnets in the Kimberlite nodule and out of it.
Have fun
DD
ASTROBLEME
DD,

Those are very nice. Great work. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Diamond Digger
Astrobleme,

One of my young guys stumbled across this a few days ago... tested it. Diamondiferous Kimberlite exposed right on top of the ground.
Of course it is now claimed done and dusted.
Onward's and upwards!
Cannot wait to get my teeth stuck into this bit!
DD

Pic 1 Overview of the area
Pic 2 A few indicators.
Have fun out there!
Diamond Digger
Astrobleme,

One of my young guys stumbled across this a few days ago... tested it. Diamondiferous Kimberlite exposed right on top of the ground.
Of course it is now claimed done and dusted.
Onward's and upwards!
Cannot wait to get my teeth stuck into this bit!
DD

Pic 1 Overview of the area
Pic 2 A few indicators.
Have fun out there!
Musk_Rat
[quote name='Diamond Digger' date='Aug 23 2015, 01:59 AM' post='39851']

New to group and am hitting the ground running.

What I wouldn't do to get DD and Astrobleme in the same room give them a topic for discussion and then just sponge it all up. DD I spent two stints in Southern Africa. Once studying black rhinos in Namibia and again working with Southern Ground Hornbills in Northern SA and Kruger. I have friends that still live in fear because of the violence and land reparations. Seems like just about everybody loses out...the people, the land, and the wildlife...sad. A piece of me will always be in Africa and I can't wait to be able to go back.

But back to happier things, those "indicator minerals" on the ground in the second picture, is that what I think I've read other people referring to in other posts as lava ash? Is this correct? Are these like xenoliths or do they form in the kimberlitic process. I'm so new to this and have been just read, read, read, reading and hound, hound, hound, hounding. I'm looking for heavy and shiny things wink.gif , but also keep anything that looks out of the ordinary along with location in case later if/when I learn more, I can go back to sites I may have been too ignorant to know they were good in the first place lol. This seems to be the case with these. I found very similar looking stones in the past but because of how far back in I'd hiked, I only took a few small ones and snapped a gps point. Now of course I can't find the stones I took, but I have the gps and I don't need it because I remember right where they were. Tell me if I'm wrong or over-simplifying but to me they felt and looked like green, purple, yellow limestone that got thrown into lava for a bit, partially melted, and then yanked back out.

Thank you so much and I look forward to learning more.
Diamond Digger
Musk Rat,
Welcome to the forum!

Well what you suggested has been done! Astro and I have met and been together in my truck looking at possible Kimberlite pipes.
Was great meeting the guy even though our trip ended up with no Kimberlites or indicators found. Cost me a pretty penny but that's all part of prospecting.
That trip I did manage to find a kimberlite pipe and managed to secure it.

Click to view attachment

Here is Shea one of my guys sitting on top of the exposed Kimberlite

Click to view attachment

When prospecting for diamond bearing kimberlites this is what you are looking for, G 10 Pyrope (fire) garnets and Chromium diopside (green) crystals.
These have been weathered out of the host rock.

Click to view attachment

This is what they look like still in the host rock Kimberlite.

Click to view attachment

And the real thing you are looking for!

Hope this helps!
PS the light green CR crystals are very brittle and only travel about .75 miles away from a pipe in a river setting, before its crushed to powder.
So if you find them you are close!
DD

Musk_Rat
Hey thanks for the reply Diamond Digger. What a trip just finding that pile weathering out of the host rock drool.gif . I haven't gotten that close, but have some very interesting things I've found while panning a few waterways up there. The fires (and my day job) made it really tough to get much done on public land this past season. But I'm excited to explore some targets more thoroughly and see what this summer brings.

Then what I hear you saying is don't bother looking for anything else other than what you pictured lol.
Musk_Rat
[quote name='Diamond Digger' date='Jan 31 2021, 03:11 AM' post='48826']

Diamond digger will you check out a post i put up on the member side? It's something I've found that I think is significant, but I'd like to know if you think the same.
Diamond Digger

Just copy the link here MR
Musk_Rat
QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ Jan 31 2021, 01:56 PM) *
Just copy the link here MR

http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...?showtopic=5664

Let me know if that works! Thanks again!
Diamond Digger

no password protected so copy it here.
DD
Denise
Welcome Musk Rat! smileywaving.gif
That section of the forums is for CP club members only.
You are more than welcome to post your picture in this thread also though. happy112.gif
Musk_Rat
QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ Feb 1 2021, 06:10 AM) *

no password protected so copy it here.
DD

Musk_Rat
Specimen 1: I found this specimen in river gravels while panning and it stood out because it felt like glass in my hand and was very heavy but was covered in river scum. And honestly I wish I could say I'm some geological genius, but really I kept it because it was very heavy and different than anything else I'd seen. As well, I could feel the circular indentations you'll see on the one side of the stone. I'm hoping this wasn't the stupidest thing I could do but I used diamond polishing pads (for polishing marble counter tops) to clean it up to better see what it was composed of. Once I started to see what I had, I decided to stop in case I was ruining the specimen or doing something stupid. Additionally, it wasn't taking well to the polishing (very hard material) compared to other stones I'd polished in this manner.

The first two photos are with my phone. Then the rest are with my digital microscope. The last photo you can see the pyrope shining through the blue mineral (kyanite?, eclogite?)

Thanks for the help and anyone else out there that could shed some light.

candle_smiley.gif
Musk_Rat
Another one of the back close up.
Diamond Digger
Hi MR,
Looks like you have some form of Garnet in that one specimen however its very unlikely to be Pyrope garnets as they are only formed inside Kimberlite.
The other rocks looks interesting, not something I have seen before.
And yes haha don't bother looking for anything else if you are looking for kimberlite. There are a few in Colorado but the diamond bearing ones are all tied up and off limits to everyone.
However if you are keen you can look in this area 39° 4'34.29"N 105°16'33.17"W in CO there is rumoured to be a diamond bearing pipe there in the area... You have samples of what to look for go get it!
Very good luck, lots of water and food off the 51.
Have fun
DD
Musk_Rat
DD,
Thanks for the input. Colorado School of Mines holds "office hours" periodically for the public where you can bring in samples for a geologist to look at and help id. I may try that, but from my own research, the only thing I can come up with is that it's an eclogite nodule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclogite

How it got to where I found it is probably up for debate. Definitely going to poke around more in that area. I know that all the "KNOWN" worthwhile kimberlite has been claimed up in the area and/or is behind miles of litigation, private land, and barbed wire. However I know this beautiful women that lives up there and has been milling kimberlite for millions of years, but I just need to figure out where she sorted it all to...

Thanks for the coordinates! I am very keen! Some close family lives not to far from there, so now I have an excuse to visit and an excuse to leave!

Did some poking around on aerial photography and on macrostrat.org [(if you haven't seen this website you really should). It's a geological map of the whole world. The map is only as good as the source data so I imagine it's more accurate and useful in some areas than others. It can be tough to navigate and find your area of interest, but once you do... atomic.gif ]

From what I can see from the air, there's promise in the area (and unclaimed areas from preliminary checks)! Thanks again DD!

Musk_Rat
So I've done some more research just about rocks that carry garnets and I think the one specimen might be Garnet Blueschist. Very cool and I'll take into consideration any other input. From what I read it is very similar to eclogite but is found less deep in the mantle. However similar to other Kimberlite xenoliths if it isn't exhumed quickly the minerals will be altered on their way to the surface.

https://www.alexstrekeisen.it/english/meta/blueschist.php
Diamond Digger
Musk Rat,

Kimberlite is a very peculiar rock once exposed to oxygen for a few million years it changes from hard rock to a yellowish sand like structure very similar to sandstone in colour. (weathering)... hence the term yellow ground. It will react with oxygen and the slightest water movement will wash the material down any close-by gully's ditches rivers etc... now the name changes to Alluvial material and this material can travel for hundreds of miles downriver.... Many of these ancient deposits are mined in SA and around the world.
So Kimberlite weathers when oxygen is introduced..... it releases the Pyrope garnets G-10, Chromium Diopside diamonds Spinel etc etc.... all these are called diamond indicators.
But Kimberlite comes to the surface from 150km down in the Earth.... as a big hot lava flow and collects quite a few different rocks on the way up. So you will find strange rocks in it nothing out of the ordinary.
Good luck with your hunt.
DD
PS there are lots of different garnets.... but only One counts!!
Musk_Rat
Yeah DD the more I research this is a cool rock and they're garnets, but like you said not the ones that count. Looks like more digging and more miles...Thanks again DD. Now if the snow would only stop falling.
Diamond Digger
Snow? LOL Diamond miners are made of sterner stuff..... Road to work!

Click to view attachment

Build in cooler box!

Click to view attachment

Cleaning the windscreen a light snow dusting.... GMF

Click to view attachment

As you can see we don't care much about a little bit of ice....The only good ice is them ones you can put in Whiskey
The rest one ignores!
Get out there and do the thing! lol
DD
Musk_Rat
Love the pics! Too good! I think it's safe to say you're much further along in the process than me, but just as crazy lol! I'm just getting on the scent. It's funny because I've been wondering if you are in SA or the states and that answers that question. I was out and panning/sampling just last week after work.
Diamond Digger
A little bit of cold weather just refresh a tired body!
Couch riding prospectors never get rich....

A few pictures to get you out there never mind the snow!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Alrosa 235 ct

Enjoy, have fun out there!
DD
Musk_Rat
Diamond Digger,
You should be a motivational speaker! Those are incredible!
Diamond Digger
Musk Rat,
Do not forget to take pictures of the area and stones that you find at the co-ordinates, we are waiting anxiously for your picture report here.
And make sure there is still snow on the ground.... emoticon-object-024.gif
Your Key is to find Chromium Diopside crystals, once you do you know you are .75 miles or less from the pipe.
Anthills are a good place to search for CR and G-10... you will not find small diamonds in any anthill, their little paws just cannot pick a diamond up since they are all covered with a natural oily layer...
Very good luck!
DD

If you find it Claim it get the permits in order and I will bring the gear.
DD
Musk_Rat
DD,
A couple spots will have to wait until spring thaw because they're locked under ice(more now than ever after this polar weather). I'm also anxious to head up to that other area I alluded to, but it's a good trek in even for the highly motivated. I'll be headed West and back on the trail asap. (My wife and I just welcomed our first child 3 weeks ago, but she knows I can't stay out of the hills long) There will no doubt be plenty of snow still and if I'm lucky some ice. I'm no geologist and I don't want to get your hopes up though. I know I'm on the right track, but how close to the finish line?
Diamond Digger
MR
Congratulations on the Kiddo!

One only have hope once one is in the field looking for the tell tale sign that gets your blood pumping with a question.... "What If?"
That is the good feeling when it turns out to be the indicators that you suffered snow Ice and bad winds to find.... Makes the hart warm.
Good luck

Hope you get some sleep!
DD
Diamond Digger
MR
As for South Africa... you would not recognise it... turned into a war zone.... Last night I heard gunshots in Newlands! A posh area!
I am here to buy more equipment. This whole country is doomed... crime is rampant.
DD
Musk_Rat
DD,
Travel safe my man! So sad to hear about SA... Luckily my friends live and work out in the bush, so are more worried about things with teeth lol. It's just probably starting to get cool down there and mean while we're in for a weekend of nice weather(I did go up last weekend, but mostly to prescout and stretch my legs), so I'll be strapping on the ol boots and heading West. Hopefully I'll have something good to report or at least know a little bit more than I do now.

Drink a black label for me! cheers.gif

MuskRat
Musk_Rat
DD still haven't made it to those coordinates you gave me, but have been relatively fruitful in a couple other locations. Been prospecting until just a couple weeks ago, so now have been going through samples more closely from the summer and took some photos. Here are some indicators from my last area of interest.
Musk_Rat
Here are some larger samples from a couple different areas of interest
Diamond Digger
MR,
Hows things....
No idea what indicators you got there but yeah.... its not for diamonds or Kimberlite.
Diamondiferous kimberlites are very very rare. If you do not have the Coordinates it can cost Millions to find the right place.
Dont give up.... Everyone learns the hard way!
Maybe just follow the instructions go to the right spot.... (LOL)
DD

On the picture is what you want to see....

QUOTE (Musk_Rat @ Jan 1 2022, 12:42 PM) *
DD still haven't made it to those coordinates you gave me, but have been relatively fruitful in a couple other locations. Been prospecting until just a couple weeks ago, so now have been going through samples more closely from the summer and took some photos. Here are some indicators from my last area of interest.

Musk_Rat
DD,
Things are good. I did at least do some land status research for the area you sent me and will eventually get up there. Seems like the small garnets I'm finding are green/red/purple/orange just like yours but not as big. Thoughts? Are they different?

How have your efforts been this year?
Denise
Those look like some nice indicators to me Musk Rat! Keep up the good hunt. signs021.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.