Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New project,
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Pages: 1, 2
amorton
So here is the new winter project. would have gotten further but my welder ran out of argon / c02.
Any suggestions are welcome.

swizz
Looking good, I sent you a PM. happy088.gif
amorton
So I am thinking about how much water I will need to feed this thing. Also what size sluice to run. I was planning on setting it up to use an A52 box and have the trommel dump into it. They are 10" wide and 50" long. Does anyone know off hand how many gallons per hour it takes to run an A52? Will an A52 be large enough or should I go larger? I was figuring I would have the discharge on the trommel drop onto a punch plate above the rubber matting part of the sluice. Then anything larger than 1/8 inch will drop onto the riffles. The trommel is screening to just under 1/2 an inch. The gearing I think I will have will turn it at between 11 and 15 RPM.

If anyone has a spare A52 for sale or somthing similar in size I am interested.
russau
why not make your own sluice to fit your needs?
amorton
I can, but I don’t own a metal brake so the box it's self would need to be made by someone else then the riffle material and I am getting close to the cost of a commercial unit which should be easy enough to adapt for my use. Then I have an A52 as well right now my only sluice is a folding which is not ridged enough for this purpose.
russau
just goto a metal fabrication shop and ask for a price to bend one up. they should have the alum. if you dont have a peice. youll save a bunch of $$$$$. the riffels or whatever you chose to use in the sluice,are also EZ to make. youve got a good start on your project!
swizz
QUOTE (russau @ Dec 29 2011, 09:40 AM) *
just go to a metal fabrication shop and ask for a price to bend one up. they should have the alum.

For sure.
Even up here we have a sheet metal shop that has all of this. Sometimes they'll have enough scrap laying around and do side projects and may or may not take beer as payment. cheers.gif
They can whip up a box in minutes.
amorton
So I found some 1/4 inch punch plate stock cheap, and I think I am going to cut out the 1/2 expanded metal and weld this in. I really don’t need any 1/2 inch size rocks in my sluice so this seems like a better solution. I may have to turn it a bit slower but I think it will prevent the sluice from overloading with a bunch of 1/2" junk. Which this change I now run the risk of throwing out a few 1/4 size nuggets. So I have a few options. I can design a nugget trap to the feed hopper, I can attempt to catch them with a small lip before they hit the tailings shoot, or just keep a metal detector around and hope it will target a 1/4"+ nugget. The chances of finding them is slim but I sure would like to hold onto them if It does not require any extra effort. So ideas? I thought a steep coarse sluice maybe with 3/8-1/2 inch bar stock welded into the feed hopper to catch nuggets might be the easy way to make this work.

Punch plate stock, also should have a lot of scrap if anyone needs some odd bits for modifications.

russau
nice find! my garage/shop is full of odds and ends of scrap metal. theyre real handy to have when im fabing up something!
amorton
progress, getting the punch plate into shape and welded in was not as easy as it looked. This this is getting heavy.

russau
heavy? yes,but itll last for a long time! and you can say that you built it!!
Woody
Hey Amorton,

If there was anyway I could convince you to go a little larger on that screen tube I would try. My best suggestion would be to try to make two screen tubes. Mybe you are working an area that you figure 1/4 to be the best and it fits the bill there perfectly but my suggestion is the norm would be a little larger. How hard would it be to make the screen tube interchangeable? Woody.
swizz
I agree with Woody.
1/2" screen size is more logical... I guess, unless you're beach mining in Nome or similar. Most sluice deigns can efficiently process 1/2" material and retain fines without a problem when set up properly.
Your trommel will operate more efficiently with a larger classification barrel screen from A - Z. Larger screen = faster processing = higher volume of material per manhour.
I personally need to process everything up to 1/2" or bye bye nugs and pickers.... ya never know. Colorado still has some nice Gold laying around. Certain sizes and shapes that I've recovered may not have made it through a 1/4" screen like that.
Or.... like Woody suggested, make different class barrels. You could experiment.
2c.gif
amorton
So you guys have me thinking about the screen size, I think I will get it together like this, then maybe drill out the holes to 3/8" which would split the difference. I drilled out a few in a scrap piece and it does not take long I figure I could punch them all out in two hours. The stand in the picture is too tall, this is on purpose so I can build the hopper up off the ground a bit and figure out my discharge pipe and sluice height, then I will add the wheels and cut the finial height. The barrel rotates very smooth and tracks straight. If I have time I will start the hopper.

amorton
So started on the hopper, I still need to make ends for it and finish weld it, then grind out the welds on the inside so the gold has a nice smooth ride to the sluice box. The hopper his hung from the frame by some angle iron. The angle iron will be bolted or pined in later so the option to remove the hopper in the field is there. Not sure what I will try and tackle next. I still don't know how I am going to setup the motor to spin it, I ordered some sprockets and a chain. The plan is to use a 12V windshield wiper motor. I need to design a feed hopper as well. Sorry if this is a bit scattered I am using the forum to organize my thoughts. I don't really know what I am doing, just letting it build it's self as I go.

amorton
Does anyone have recommendations on pumps? I was thinking 2 12V 1200GPH bilge pumps should run it for a 12V only setup. Or a 2" gas driven pump will be more than enough. I have never purchased a gas driven pump before any recommendations? Any one use the Harbor freight pumps? Are they any good?
russau
it all depends on what all you want todo with it! if all you want to do is wash material in the trommel then id say a small/cheap/used 2 inch trash pump would do fine. youll need a good size pump(high head pressure) if you are at any elevation from your water source. i dont think that particular 12vdc system will give you enough water or pressure that youll need.if you want the pump to be used as a source for a suction nozzel to feed your trommel then your going to need a good eng/pump combo that has hi pressure water ,enough to get the job done. when i first bought my pump i decided to get it now and itll be avaliable for whatever i need in the future. now i have three different pumps for different jobs.
colo_heff
I've been watching this thread with interest... I've had a similar idea about using tubular classifying and you gave me a couple of ideas.. thanks... I'm thinking of a model that will be a bit more light weight to get it closer to a dig site... I did buy a Harbor Freight clean water pump for a recirculating sluice I built last year which worked great... if you want I could bring it over when you are ready for a test to see if that is the way you'd like to go... just let me know... Bill
amorton
QUOTE (colo_heff @ Jan 4 2012, 02:34 PM) *
I've been watching this thread with interest... I've had a similar idea about using tubular classifying and you gave me a couple of ideas.. thanks... I'm thinking of a model that will be a bit more light weight to get it closer to a dig site... I did buy a Harbor Freight clean water pump for a recirculating sluice I built last year which worked great... if you want I could bring it over when you are ready for a test to see if that is the way you'd like to go... just let me know... Bill

Thank you Bill, I will let you know as I get a bit closer to a test. You are not far in Franktown, I am up in Castle Rock in founders so maybe 10 min away. If you want to see this thing for your self let me know.
colo_heff
Thanks for the invite... just send me a message when you get ready and I'll bring the pump and the pool hose I use and get your new toy dialed in...
amorton
Got new parts in the mail today thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

russau
looks like someone is getting ready to build a trommel!just my humbel guess!
amorton
So finally got to do some work on the trommel. Got quite a bit done today. hopper is finish welded "still needs grinding and I have not figured out what to do for the discharge. I cut the legs to size and added wheels in the back and adjustable legs up front. The big accomplishment was getting the big sprocket cut out and mounted as well as the wiper motor and chain. Here is a Video of it running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qDiP7LJVw The video has the motor running on the low speed. It will run about twice as fast on the high speed. I guess next I need to start building the feed hopper and discharge chute. I also bought a water proof switch box and will have it mounted with a 20' cord and some clamps for the battery.

AuRush69
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That Looks Heavy!!!!! hope it's not gone be moved too often :D

Looks great though.
russau
i like the chain tensioner. i made one sorta similar for my belt for my compressor on my dredge. when i dont need ait, i just slip the belt off of it to reduce wear and tear on the compressor and the load off the engine.
colo_heff
Hey amorton... anytime you are ready for a test run let me know and I'll bring my pump and some big tubs to give it a trial run... Bill
amorton
QUOTE (colo_heff @ Jan 20 2012, 12:34 PM) *
Hey amorton... anytime you are ready for a test run let me know and I'll bring my pump and some big tubs to give it a trial run... Bill

I will let you know bill, I am studying for a work certificate I need to keep my job, then heading up to Alaska end of February for a week. So I can only work on the trommel hear and there but once it is in a configuration I am happy with I will let you know. It's hard to do my real work and not go run off and finish it but I will get it done by spring I am sure.
swizz
You are doing an incredibly nice job with this!
I can't wait to see your finished machine.
NICE!
amorton
I am not a full club member yet, I will probably join this spring. But I would be happy to borrow out this machine this summer for any club events. Give people a chance to use another type of equipment. I don't think anyone can hurt this thing once I am done it will be bullet proof.
amorton
So had some free time today and thought I would work on the trommel a bit. Started the feed hopper I built it large so it will hopefully spread the material out and wash it a bit before it hits the tube. I built it so that it is removable, it will pin on with the same style pins I used for the front legs. This way the feed hopper, screen tube, catch hopper, frame, and discharge chute will all be easy to remove without tools so that if I need to hike it in a bit or pull it out of the truck by myself I the most I have to lift is 50-60lbs. I wanted to feed the tube with a round pipe connected to the feed hopper but building it rectangular is much easyer so I went with that. There will be spray bars on the three sides of the hopper to wash everything down. Any suggestions on size for the spray bars? I am torn between 1" or 3/4" I am almost positive that I will be using a 2" gas pump to feed it. The overall length right now with the hopper on is 58.5" so just shy of 5' once I add a discharge chute It should be around 5.5' to 6' long.

russau
i like your thought proccess while laying out and building this trommel!
amorton
QUOTE (russau @ Jan 25 2012, 06:32 AM) *
i like your thought proccess while laying out and building this trommel!

Well thank you russ I have been taking more pictures than I need to with the thought that if any one here wants to do something like this themselves this should provide some ideas and a start to finish process. This is not the best way to build a trommel but I think it will work.
swizz
QUOTE (amorton @ Jan 24 2012, 06:37 PM) *
Any suggestions on size for the spray bars? I am torn between 1" or 3/4" I am almost positive that I will be using a 2" gas pump to feed it.

I'm not an engineer by any stretch but I'm thinking that either of those sizes should give you adequate pressure. Spray pressure will also be reduced somewhat, depending on the number and size of holes you drill into the bars. You may want to experiment with each size using PVC which is relatively inexpensive. Either way, I think I'd have a valve to regulate the pressure prior to water entering the spray bars which will give you optimal pressure control. Another idea (which might be a pain) would be to install a small nozzle tip into each spraybar hole... like the nozzle tips that are sold for portable power-washers (used to clean driveways, etc). That might be overkill but food for thought.
amorton
QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 25 2012, 08:33 PM) *
I'm not an engineer by any stretch but I'm thinking that either of those sizes should give you adequate pressure. Spray pressure will also be reduced somewhat, depending on the number and size of holes you drill into the bars. You may want to experiment with each size using PVC which is relatively inexpensive. Either way, I think I'd have a valve to regulate the pressure prior to water entering the spray bars which will give you optimal pressure control. Another idea (which might be a pain) would be to install a small nozzle tip into each spraybar hole... like the nozzle tips that are sold for portable power-washers (used to clean driveways, etc). That might be overkill but food for thought.

I will definitely run a valve on each spray bar. I figure I will run the 2" outlet from the pump to a 2" manifold with one valve for the hopper spray bars one for the tube spray bar and a third for a 10'-20' hose for clean out and for washing down the unit at the end of the day.
colo_heff
Hey amorton... the water pump I have has a 1 1/2" outlet and I'm pretty certain it will put out all the pressure you need for your hopper... here's the spray bar I made for my recirculating sluice (1 1/2" pipe, 2 sections, 2 two foot long pipes with a series of 5/32" holes drilled down the length of each pipe) and I ran the pump just above idle because it was overwhelming my sluice any higher than that... since you live fairly close I'd be more than happy to meet up with you and work on what you need...
amorton
QUOTE (colo_heff @ Jan 26 2012, 06:38 PM) *
Hey amorton... the water pump I have has a 1 1/2" outlet and I'm pretty certain it will put out all the pressure you need for your hopper... here's the spray bar I made for my recirculating sluice (1 1/2" pipe, 2 sections, 2 two foot long pipes with a series of 5/32" holes drilled down the length of each pipe) and I ran the pump just above idle because it was overwhelming my sluice any higher than that... since you live fairly close I'd be more than happy to meet up with you and work on what you need...

Let me get a bit further along finish welded and water tight. I need to figure out how I want to hang the sluice then hook up the motor and switches. Build the discharge chute then I think I will be ready for the water system. I will let you know when I get there , and thank you for the help.
russau
make sure when you hang your sluices that youve built in a way to level them out for even flow of water and material!
amorton
I put together the spray bar distribution manifold today it is a 2" manifold with 1" lines going to the hopper and tube spayer. Also added the hose bib for clean up. The inlet is 2" threading stepped down to 3/4" hose for testing here at home.

CP
I've been watching this project with great anticipation. She might not be light but boy oh boy will this thing last! Looks very well built and solid.
Everyone has been giving some great input too, good job folks. There's also a few old trommels you can see up at the Nederland mining museum if you want to look at some older and larger set ups for future ideas.
We'd all be honored to have your future participation in the club this spring and thank you for the invite to use your trommel for a club event, that would be a great piece to have folks try out I think.
We'll all be very much looking forward to test run updates and tweaks as you progress in these R & D stages, keep up the great work!

CP
amorton
So started the sluice hanger, It is a little over 12" wide can rotate 360 so that the sluice can be pointed in any direction or out either side of the the trommel or in front. The bar is height adjustable and can be leveled from any direction as well. It should be able to accommodate a 12" sluice but I am planning on running a 10". I think this will let me fine tune the sluice for the conditions that It is operating. Also welded some bar stock to the adjuster nuts so I don't need a wrench to make adjustments. Next up is some finish welding and I need to build the dump chute. Oh the all-thread bars will fit around a bucket and if the bar is removed a bucket can be placed under the hopper and the unit can be run dry.

amorton
Ok done for the night. built the chute and started it's attachment point. It is just pined on again no tools needed to take it down. Next will be the water system which I started the other day.

amorton
So did some work this afternoon. Finished building the exit chute then started on the attachment points for the main spray bar and the hopper sprayers. The main bar is very easy to remove, I will weld on some bars to the hold down bolt so no tools are needed to remove the spray bars. The water distribution manifold is mounted to a steel bar which is wing nutted to the main frame so the water system comes off all in one piece. The last picture has a strap over the hopper bar, this is holding it down while the clear tubing sets in place a bit the tubing was cold and I had to heat it up to get it to bend. I will add some hose clamps later to make sure the barbs don't pull out. The sluice in the picture is just a small 8" folding sluice I used for the picture I am planning on having a 10"X5' sluice built for the trommel.

So it is close to being finished. I still need to hook up the switch box for the drive motor then drill the PVC pipe for sprayers, was thinking 1/8" holes. I also need to build a stand for the other end of the sluice box. Last I need to do a few finish welds and add a few braces here and there then paint.

russau
a good coat of primer and paint and i can just see you now pulling gold from the sluice! nice job! now get out there and start using it instead of sitting here in front of our computors like im doing right now!:)
h20prospector
Boy am I jealous at your abilities to fabricate and make stuff. I'm the type of guy that if he needs something, he buys it. I live down the road in Security. Let me know when you are ready for a maiden outing with it. I can bring my highbanker, and we can move some material! Gold bearing too.

Pat
swizz
Looking great!
Denise
It looks like it's coming along great! happy088.gif
colo_heff
Wow... you've come quite a ways with that, congrats... one thing you might want to think about is to add a curved section horizontal across the bottom of your sluice feed, like a half of pipe, to give a more even flow of material and water across your sluice.... just a thought...
kmontoya911
How tall is that hopper? I ask because It looks tall, and it would kick my butt to have to raise a shovel full of dirt too high all day.
amorton
Sorry for the recent lack of updates, I had a big certification for work that I had to study for and pass or possibly lose my job on the 1st of March. Passed my test the other day so I can get back to doing things for myself without feeling like I should be doing something else. As for the height little over waist height probably not too much higher than a high-banker. So did the finish welding and some clean up and painted everything. Went with almost a Cummins tan for most everything. The hardware is all fire engine red so if you drop it it wont disappear. the bars that level and hold the sluice box look black but are sprayed with a spray on rubber so they will have a bit of a tacky feel to them and not let the sluice slip in the wet. I built a basic stand to hold the tail end of the sluice it has three sharpened prongs so if you step on it you can get it dug into the dirt then the bar can be adjusted up and down to get the height right. I still need to Teflon tape a few of the water fittings then drill the spray bars. I am thinking 1/8" to start with and will go up from there if I cant get enough water to run the sluice. I am already reconsidering the drive motor. It seems inefficient to run to separate power sources so I think I will either build or find a hydraulic motor that I can tap off the pressure from the 2" pump and run it off water that way you wont have to lug out a big battery and it will be a bit more elegant solution for rotating the drum. This is still in the idea phase I want to see this thing run and make any changes first before I change out the drive motor might be a good mid season project. My goal for the summer is 1 ounce with this machine if I can do that I will consider it a success. I also still need to get a sluice built but that will have to be next month as I am heading up to Alaska for a week on Tuesday.

amorton
well painting during the winter is a pain but it's dry enough to put it together so here is what the finished product looks like. I still need a longer wider sluice and a 2" water pump. I marked about where I want my holes for the sprayers so I will try and drill them tonight. I also weighed everything heaviest part is the tube itself weighing in at 47.6 lbs, the frame is 42.2 lbs, the bottom hopper is 25.3 lbs, the feed hopper is 19.1 lbs, the PVC tubing and mounting bracket is 11.0 lbs and last is the exit chute at 5.8 lbs. So grand total is 150.9 lbs plus battery plus pump and hoses. So its not light but its not as heavy as I thought it would be. I have not done and itemised list but I think I am into the trommel for $320.00 - $360.00 before the pump sluice and battery but none of the commercial units come with a battery or pump and the range anywhere from $1500.00 to $2500.00 depending on features and quality.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.