Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keene A52 Choke Mod
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
swizz
Hi all,
Thought I'd share my most recent DIY A52 modifications.
This can be done easily for less than $30 and minimal tools. A52 and A51 boxes are easy to modify and customize.
This A52 is modified for low water flow conditions. Original Keene riffle rack is eliminated and flow area is choked down to 6" width.

Custom capture stages are as follows from top of sluice to bottom:
1. Feed flare... material hits original Keen shallow V mat.
2. Material transitions up my fabricated riffle and enters the box. This riffle is passive but has a nugget trap behind it.
3. Keene green riffle mat with expanded metal and riffle rods. Rods are 1/2" high and spaced at 2.5".
4. Slick plate run which reclassifies by weight
5. Deep V run
6. Last stage is a section of Deep-V covered with expanded metal. A riffle rod separates stages 5 & 6.

Here is a look without the choke rails

The Choke rails are 2X4 wood and angle-cut at the head to feather into Keene flare.
Rubber sheeting (hardware store gasket making material) attached to bottom of choke rails using barge cement. This forms a nice seal and snug fit once inserted into the box. Wood is multi-coated with marine (spar) varnish.

I fabricated this transitional riffle and the mid slick-plate from the same piece of metal. It was from a powder-coated seat/tabletop from a cheapo folding stool thing I had laying around. I glued deep-V to the base of the transitional (passive) riffle shown here.

Here's a pic of a riffle rod which skewers through the box (yes, I drilled the box). I fabricated these from a 6 foot length of 3/8" diameter cold-rolled steel which I got from Ace for less than $10.
They were cut to 11.5" first. Next I sharpened one end to a dull point with a bench grinder. Then heated the other end red-hot with a propane weed burner and used a hammer to blacksmith it flat. Next drill hole through flat spot and insert key ring... and I painted the ends orange so I won't lose them in the grass or water. I also treated the steel with Rust Inhibitor. The rods are then fitted with 3/8" ID vinyl tubing which really seals things up at the base of the riffles once inserted and compressed into the box. Works out to be a 1/2" high riffle when installed and they perform similar to Clarkson style... active vortex in front and back with minimal packing effect.

Happy to answer any questions comments, or criticism. Would love to see any other mods out there. cheers.gif
russau
i also use the wood spacers on occasion! the black ribbed matting looks like it may be in your sluice crooked! or maybe i just need another cup of coffee this morning! i like seeing people modify their equipment to their needs and not keep buying redundant equipment when they already have it there. every peice of equipment i have is adaptabile to suit my needs for that creek/stream!
swizz
Hi Russ!
The V-mats are aligned and seated perfectly straight (perpendicular to the box). The lower section of Deep-V 'looks' diagonal in the 3rd pic down... that's due to image resolution compression. If you enlarge that image the diagonal effect diminishes.
It is definitely fun to tailor equipment! I can still interchange sections but I really like this configuration.
russau
cool! i didnt think youd have them in there crooked!but it just looked off to me! im sure everyone will enjoy your mods to the sluice!
deserdog
Here is mine
swizz
Update....

I replaced the upper carpeted section with Gold Hog scrubber mat. Awesome product and made in the USA. smileyflag.gif

amorton
almost bought some of that mat the other day but I wanted their UR mat as well and they were sold out.
swizz
I bought two of the scrubber mats and will order some UR in the near future. Good to know they're on backorder now.
I'm also giving their highbanker serious consideration. Looks like an excellent unit that can also be used as a super concentrator. I have a feeling that they're going to have a hard time keeping up with demand on those.
amorton
QUOTE (swizz @ Mar 10 2012, 01:07 PM) *
I bought two of the scrubber mats and will order some UR in the near future. Good to know they're on backorder now.
I'm also giving their highbanker serious consideration. Looks like an excellent unit that can also be used as a super concentrator. I have a feeling that they're going to have a hard time keeping up with demand on those.

Their product looks great, I am planning on running it in the sluice for the trommel 11" wide and 48" long it will be ribbed rubber up top then two scrubber mats then the remainder will be UR I think it will be really sweet. Let us know how that scrubber works out. I watched their videos and I am sold on their ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.