Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: detecting in colorado? At all?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Arbo
I have been told over and over, a gold detector is pointless in colorado. And yes, I've never seen anything but fines so far in what I have found.

I did a bit of trading and ended up with a Lobo supertraq, as I plan to eventually hit Arizona, and figured it might be nice to have.

But I was curious if there actually are places where it is worth having in CO?
Denise
I would have to say yes to a metal detector being worth it here in Colorado. I have seen way too many nuggets found by people detecting here to say different.....some really sweet ones! The nugget pictured on the left side (in the green area) of the ColoradoProspector website was also found here detecting. happy088.gif Coloradi is just luck enough to have it in all sizes...hehe

With some knowledge of the areas geology, one can find some sweet things with a detector.....and not just gold! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Very handy prospecting tool to have!
swizz
I also say YES.
Woody's brother picked up a nice 'lil nuggy on my claim last year within 15 minutes with a detector and I've recovered plenty there (pick & shovel) that would have made a detector whistle.
A GB2 or GB Pro is definitely on my list. happy088.gif
Arbo
Thanks for the info. I'll have to get busy learning it. Fiddled with it some in my dirt yard, but apparently my yard is full of 'targets', so it's kinda difficult to get the hang of it. Probably decades of nails and screws and such.

I saw a new claim out along the UT boarder, a couple hours from here, it says nuggets, so maybe I'll need to take a trip out there.
Denise
Sounds like the best way to test it out Arbo. At least if your finding nails and screws, you know your doing something right. I'm sure that nugget is just waiting for you to come it's way. You can also use a nugget to tune it in. I have seen several people do that, then toss the nugget out and find it again. You could even put the nugget in a baggie so you don't loose it while testing the detector out. Just an idea.

Good luck out there.
colo_heff
Arbo... Welcome to the club... Metal detectors can be very useful in Colorado, I own a White's DFX (and a series of different coils) and a Falcon MD-20 and have found that it takes alot of trial and error to get the hang of what they can do and the best way to use them... I'm not familar with the Lobo Supertraq but I did find a link that should help you with your detector http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/lobost

Denise suggestion about using a test is a good one, I have a test bed which has a variety of coins and metals which I've used to help me learn about mine (the White's actually gives me a number which can tell me the type of metal, the size, etc.. the MD-20 is useful when classifying the material I've dug, I run it over the pan and if it beeps I know to look hard)... A bit of practice and I think you will be glad you have one... Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.