Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martian Curse
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
ASTROBLEME
Russia continues to make news with spacecraft failures. They have launched 16 missions to Mars and not one has been successfully completed since the 1960's.

Now, the recently launched Phobos-Grunt Mars probe is stuck in Earth orbit. The batteries will last 3 more days unless the Russian engineers find a fix.

ASTROBLEME
ASTROBLEME
Experts are predicting a Sat or Sun re-entry (Jan 14 or 15 2012) for this failed mission.

Keep your eye on the sky,

ASTROBLEME
russau
and definatly wear your hard hat!
ASTROBLEME
Phobos-Grunt was Russia's most expensive and the most ambitious space mission since Soviet times. Now Russian space experts claim electromagnetic emission from a U.S. radar based in the Marshal islands caused interference with the space craft.

Hmmmmm......can we fry a target in orbit? emoticon-object-018.gif
russau
i truely beleive that America already has that technology to do this! to bad for the ruskies!
swizz
QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Jan 19 2012, 06:51 AM) *
Hmmmmm......can we fry a target in orbit? emoticon-object-018.gif

The Defense Dept needs to figure this out right-quick. Consider this scenario...
As it stands... many countries (like Russia) launch potential space junk.
They may report "oops, this one is malfunctioning and will crash to earth, unknown where it will impact".
The unknown or intentionally mislabeled "malfunctioning" unit could be secretly programmed from initial launch to impact exactly where they want it to. Pentagon, White House, military base, huge list of potential strategic targets.
Then they say "sorry we had no idea where it was going to come down".
It's not a wild conspiracy theory, the technology exists.
(I should write damn novel, would make a great movie plot)
Seriously, this COULD happen and I think about it every time I hear of new space junk crashing to earth. Especially things that have recently been launched and mysteriously "failed".
Defense Dept really needs to get on this!

Kevin In Centennial
Swizz do you seriously think the Feds aren't totally on this already?

Happily the latest Russian failure splashed into the Pacific - anyone up for treasure diving? LOL!
swizz
QUOTE (Kevin In Centennial @ Jan 26 2012, 11:11 PM) *
Swizz do you seriously think the Feds aren't totally on this already?

Correct, I don't think the Feds are "totally on" anything, including this. There is a lot of man-made crap crashing into our planet. The media disclaimer is ALWAYS "experts really have no idea where this thing's coming down". So... no, the "Feds" do not appear to be "totally on this already". It's the Defense Department, more specifically, who should be "totally on this already". They very well may be... but I don't believe that the defense technology exists yet. We can joke about Ronald Ray-gun's "star wars" initiative, which unfortunately became nothing more than a joke. This "star wars" technology does not exist. If there is a USA magic space-junk destroyer ship(s) up there somewhere that we've created and launched, please share... I'd like to see this awesome technology. eating-popcorn-03.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.