Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found some Trilobites
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Fossil Finds, Processes, Adventures and Outings
Woody
These are good solid specimens in very hard Siltstone. Mostly they show just the wedge shaped head and very little of the rest of the body. I know there are many different varriaties out there but does any one know what these type are. I'm clueless. There is also a lot of shells in the same rocks. One thing I noticed is that the shells are all very small. Nothing even close to the size of a fingernail. Small must of been a requirment to be part of the "in" crowd back then.
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Sweet finds Woody!

It looks to be found from the Maroon formation by the sedimentation rock (siltstone) that you found it in. Just my thoughts. smile.gif

Possibly a Leiostegium, but not sure by what I have read. Paleoportal.org has some great information on Trilobites, check it out if you get a chance.
Woody
Thanks Mrs. CP,

I have learned a lot from the articles in your posted links. For example; I do not have Trilobites, I have Trilobite pieces. I did not know that Trilobites shed their outer shell just like a Crawdad. And that is what I found, pieces of the shell. In death/fossilization, the sections would not be so clearly segmented. Still way cool, I found pieces of Trilobites and they are preserved in some very hard host material. I also learned how big these dudes can get. Thanks for the hand off links, Woody.
Denise
Your welcome Woody. Im glad it helped some! That is a great site for learning and we also have a link to it under the chat box in the chat room. happy088.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.