Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Akron Placers?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
kalenmcdonald
I am in search of the akron placers in washington county colorado. Some old timers say they used to pull about a dollar a day out worth of gold during the depression. i cant seem to find this place they are talking about. but there is a the akron placers in a gpaa book that i looked at. But i cannot find this place, or even find any information about it. if its even open to public access or if it is on private land. does anybody have any information on this?

Kalen emoticon-object-018.gif
Coalbunny
The Akron placers were, I think, over by eastern Denver on the Cherry Creek gravels. I may be wrong though.

Gold has been found however over by Fremont Butte, which is NW of Akron. I suggest you contact the assessors office and see what private land is where, and put property bounds on a 7.5 minute topo map. That way you'll have the info right there with you when you go out.
kalenmcdonald
[quote name='Coalbunny' date='Apr 15 2011, 09:23 PM' post='22563']
The Akron placers were, I think, over by eastern Denver on the Cherry Creek gravels. I may be wrong though.

Gold has been found however over by Fremont Butte, which is NW of Akron. I suggest you contact the assessors office and see what private land is where, and put property bounds on a 7.5 minute topo map. That way you'll have the info right there with you when you go out.
[/quotes

I was told the gold found was straight north of the fremont butte. but i have not found this yet. now the fremont butte is a great place. i have got some dirt from there, but the dirt is hard and compacted clay, its almost impossible to completely work like it should be. there is lots and lots and lots, of heavy coarse, and fine black sand. But i have not found any gold. there is also many minerals in around the fremont butte. I almost think a drywasher would almost be the better tool for this area.
stan in colo
I asked around about this too. I live in Brush. I asked a friend who knew a few people from
Akron.He told me it is in the ,Painted Canyon.??? I have a feeling I know where this might be,because I lived north of Akron,and traveled across country to get to Brush.There was one hill
that I had to go up,and it was a big one.And it was in a canyon,kinda.More of a ravine,than canyon. And I passed within a mile of the Butte.If the road was a little muddy,I had a heck of a time getting up and over it.Also was told that the Painted canyon is infested with rattle snakes.So
if you find it and go out there Be Careful.Snake boots or chaps would be advised.
russau
to research this try your library thats close to the area and has been there for sometime! try to do a search for their records and use BULLETS to help narrow it down to to the information that your searching for.ood luck!
kalenmcdonald
QUOTE (stan in colo @ Apr 18 2011, 09:06 PM) *
I asked around about this too. I live in Brush. I asked a friend who knew a few people from
Akron.He told me it is in the ,Painted Canyon.??? I have a feeling I know where this might be,because I lived north of Akron,and traveled across country to get to Brush.There was one hill
that I had to go up,and it was a big one.And it was in a canyon,kinda.More of a ravine,than canyon. And I passed within a mile of the Butte.If the road was a little muddy,I had a heck of a time getting up and over it.Also was told that the Painted canyon is infested with rattle snakes.So
if you find it and go out there Be Careful.Snake boots or chaps would be advised.

Hum. i dont i have seen this painted canyon. but i go to to the butte alot, and i know theres alot of rattle snakes there. ive killed ten of them in one day. i usually carry alittle 22 pistol with hollowpoint bullets to blow there heads off so i dont have to worry about them biting me. i would like to talk with you more about this on where the akron placers are. im am determined to find this. oh ya, i live in yuma by the way. maybe we should meet at the butte some time.

stan in colo
QUOTE (kalenmcdonald @ Apr 24 2011, 11:55 PM) *
Hum. i dont i have seen this painted canyon. but i go to to the butte alot, and i know theres alot of rattle snakes there. ive killed ten of them in one day. i usually carry alittle 22 pistol with hollowpoint bullets to blow there heads off so i dont have to worry about them biting me. i would like to talk with you more about this on where the akron placers are. im am determined to find this. oh ya, i live in yuma by the way. maybe we should meet at the butte some time.

Hey Kalen,sent you a P.M. It is on private property... stan
Coalbunny
QUOTE (kalenmcdonald @ Apr 24 2011, 09:55 PM) *

Man, that's a huge waste. If they aren't chasing you down, leave them alone.
Snakes need lovin' too, ya know!
kalenmcdonald
QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Apr 27 2011, 03:13 AM) *
Man, that's a huge waste. If they aren't chasing you down, leave them alone.
Snakes need lovin' too, ya know!

i only do it if i run into them. and i dont just leave them there. i eat alot them. and sometimes i keep the skin off of the eat as well. i dont do it for the fun of it. i use as much as i can off of what i kill.
fireengineer2004
QUOTE (kalenmcdonald @ Apr 15 2011, 05:59 PM) *
I am in search of the akron placers in washington county colorado. Some old timers say they used to pull about a dollar a day out worth of gold during the depression. i cant seem to find this place they are talking about. but there is a the akron placers in a gpaa book that i looked at. But i cannot find this place, or even find any information about it. if its even open to public access or if it is on private land. does anybody have any information on this?

The best I have found on this subject is that they are located NW of Akron. Not much but maybe more than you had.
GaryP
I grew up on the Lazy EP ranch which is about 3.5 miles NE of the buttes. I never heard of gold being found at the buttes, but there is a hill over by the Cline place about 2.5 miles east of the buttes that was supposedly where a guy found gold and was mining in that hill and it caved in on him. As for rattlesnakes...yes, the buttes has MANY of them! Never thought of there being any gold around Akron...just clay. Have been in the old paint mines a couple miles north and 1/2 mile east of Akron.

Gary Parker
prinzeugen
QUOTE (kalenmcdonald @ Apr 15 2011, 03:59 PM) *

gold flakes found at head of 22 slough where water bubbles out of ground
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.