Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Point for auction
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > CP's Past Events
Phil(NM)
I've got an authentic hand knapped (by me) mahogany obsidian arrowhead I can donate for the raffle if you guys'll think it'll sell...

Here's a pic, Mrs CP, lemme know....
Denise
:o WOW Phil! You did a great job!! :) It's beautiful!

It will make a GREAT prize for at the rally. wub.gif I think people will love it just as I do!
Thank you VERY MUCH for you donation to the rally.
russau
phil, i dont know how to put a value on this point. it looks real nice. ive done some knapping of flint for points and its not as easy as some people think! the mahogoney obsidian is beautiful!!! ill start the bidding off with $10.00 and thankyou for the donation! and id still like to get you down to the rally somehow!
Phil(NM)
Thanks Russ, I forgot to add, this is a special point. It's slightly curved so you can shoot that buck hiding behind the tree.... <BG>
It's the 4th point I ever made! Out here, obsidian seems to have been the knapping material of choice thru the centuries... good knappable flint is hard to find! Wish I lived near some flint sources, but they're all back east I guess...
Can't make the rally, just not going to fit in the budget.

Denise,
Auction away, just send me the winners address and I'll mail it direct, unless you want me to send it to you to "award" the winner ....
Do you need to post it in an "official" auction post or something?

Welcome!
Phil
russau
phil, not far from my house is a large old flint mine. the indians used to mine the flint and traded it to indians and trappers. it is traced all over the midwest,and from michigan to new orleans. but it is on boy scout property and no one is allowed to get access. i found some nearby and did some knapping on points. it seems if the flint was exposed to the weather(river tummbled) it gets harder than if you chipped off a new peice from the ledge.IMHO!
Phil(NM)
Well, if you ever get a chance to sneak into the mine... <G>.. maybe you need to become a scoutmaster! <G> Do you think they would give permission if asked? Don't know that I'll ever get back there, but would be nice to know if I did. Is it owned by the local council or the national org?

And what you say about fresh flint versus exposed is very true. It has to do with the hydration of the flint. Freshdug has a higher moisture content, exposed is dried out and harder to work. That's why the ancients always dug out fresh flint rather than pick up surface nodules.

Thanks!
Phil

russau
the boy scout camp is off of hi44 . there is a gaurd at the enterance. only people belonging to the boy scouts are allowed there. sorry!
CP
WOW! Nice work Phil! :D Thank you.

And Thank you also Russ, you two give a great lesson. :D
I didn't know that. :o :D

Learned something already today.... :D
and....
:o
JUNE IS FINALLY HERE! WOOOOHOOO! B)

CP
coargonaut
I guess I can't blame the Boy Scouts from excluding folks from their properties. I have looked into it in the past. My great-grandaddy had three mines near E-town, and I would love to visit the sites and take some pictures. Opps, Sorry, Ed. Located on Philmont property. I have gotten aerial photos of one of them. The other two are located such that it isn't safe for me and my putt-putt to shoot them. Mebbe I can call a friend of a friend, and get some space shots.

Ed
russau
hey Ed, i understand that the Philmount B.S. camp has a trail that the boy scouts travel,and there are camps along the trail that are thyme camps.. and one of them is gold prospecting. guys/teachers go out there and spend a week or so teaching kids about prospecting as they travel the trail! sounds neat!
Phil(NM)
Ed..
That property of your great gand-daddy.... is it the patent high up on the mountain?
My good friend up in Santa Fe's uncle owns part interest in that patent. The gold is in the shale...... And the BSA won't give them access to their own property..... I keep asking them to sue to force access, but they say all the owners are getting to old to care anymore. I always thought it was illegal to deny access to proivate property that has been historically documented since the 1860's.....
Small world....

Phil
coargonaut
Great Granddad never followed up with a patent. One day, I keep threatening to go to Santa Fe and look up the records.

Yea, they do teach the scouts mining. At a mine called French Henry, they have a portion of the underground open, and allow the scouts to see the workings.
They also do panning and sluicing.

I have read scout journals, the notes they take when they are at the Philmont. A number refer to the Lambert mine and the Mary L (my great granny).

Ed
Phil(NM)
Ed, send me the info off-forum and next time I'm up there I'll see what I can find out for you. A lot of the old files for closed claims were either returned to the last owner of record about 10 years ago, and if they came back, the BLM then micro-filmed and destroyed the originals. Names, dates, copies of old claim papers with id numbers etc would all make the job easier. If they were let go before 1976 ( I'm pretty sure it's 76...), then the only place there's gonna be a record will be the county clerks mining records in the county they were located in.
!976 is whan the law was changed to require folks to register their claims with the BLM. Most old timers simply took copies of their county filings and sent them to the BLM to properly record them according to the new law. Lots of claims that weren't "active" or wanted anymore went unrecorded with the BLM.

HTH!
Phil
russau
dan did i jump the gun on bidding on this point? you have that it will be a good prise at the rally.does this mean it isnt up for bid???
Denise
Thats what we were thinking..........is that it would make a GREAT prize, but if you all want we can use it for next weeks auction? Just let me know. ^_^ Either way I know it will be loved. wub.gif

Denise
:)
Phil(NM)
Denise...
Either way, once decided please let me know via email whether to send it to you or wait to send to the winning bidder or ???

Thanks!
Phil
russau
well since i jumped the gun on bidding, ill retract my $1,000,000.00 bid imediatley! sorry for my goof up!
Phil(NM)
Russ, send me half of that and I'll send you TWO points!!! heh heh heh!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.