Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Detecting in dino fossil bed?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
kalenmcdonald
I know a few places especially on some of my grandfathers land here in yuma county, colorado. There are places that i have found some fossilized dinosaur bones and there is a couple mamothe sites around as well. What would be the chances of finding some gold in these type of areas? i have also picked up alot arrowheads as well in these areas. but one area particularly sticks out to me. its mostly clay, and bedrock! and there are many kinds of crystal, and geodes around as well! There are also boulders of granite that range in 4ft diameter to at least 10ft diameter. from some research that i have done but have not found yet there was a placer claim in this area. I have large amounts of black sand. some really fine. But there is more bigger black sand than the fine. the main problem is getting through the clay because it is so hard, and dry. I would like to meet with somebody this year especially like Mr.& Mrs. Colorado prospector, and show them this area and get some opinions, and some one on one know how knowledge, of prospecting gold! Any imput on this subject would be greatfully appreciated. Thank!
ASTROBLEME
What is the color of the granite in the boulders? Are they (the granite boulders) widespread or do they follow any pattern ot general trend?

ASTROBLEME
kalenmcdonald
QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Jan 3 2011, 05:14 PM) *
What is the color of the granite in the boulders? Are they (the granite boulders) widespread or do they follow any pattern ot general trend?

ASTROBLEME

the boulders are gray granite and there just kind of in offset places. no visible pattern that i can see there just on top of the ground in random places.
ASTROBLEME
QUOTE (kalenmcdonald @ Jan 6 2011, 01:39 PM) *
the boulders are gray granite and there just kind of in offset places. no visible pattern that i can see there just on top of the ground in random places.

I was thinking that you may have stumbled onto a buried kimberlite pipe. There have been a few pipes found out in the flatlands that were identified by the odd boulder feilds left behind during the weathering process. I can't find any production history for Yuma county but that doesn't mean that gold cannot be found there. If you have an opportunity to pan out some spots in the creeks when they are running water, you might have some luck.
kalenmcdonald
QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Jan 6 2011, 03:25 PM) *
I was thinking that you may have stumbled onto a buried kimberlite pipe. There have been a few pipes found out in the flatlands that were identified by the odd boulder feilds left behind during the weathering process. I can't find any production history for Yuma county but that doesn't mean that gold cannot be found there. If you have an opportunity to pan out some spots in the creeks when they are running water, you might have some luck.

i have panned some places out like i said i get alot of heavy blacksand. but no color. Im pretty sure im just not going deep enough. and lots of little crystals. some calcite, and some other mineral crystals that are flat in the middle and star formations that sticks out on the flat sides. with a light blue color. there only about the size of a dime the biggest. but according to some of the old timers that are still alive around here said that there use to be a great place to get gold during the depression, they said that they would pull out about a dollar a day worth of gold. i have yet still to find this place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.