Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple of newbie equipment questions
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
TK0043
Hi all, I have a couple of equipment questions.

First, I will be making some bucket classifiers. My thought was to make my classifiers one at a time as I progress in skill at my new hobby, and will start with a 1/4 inch screen. My questions are, what are good intervals for screen sizes? And is waiting to make the smaller size classifiers as my skill progresses a good idea or should I start with multiple sizes?

And second, I'm thinking of building a miller table for fine gold recovery from cons. From what I've been reading they seem to be inexpensive to build and fairly quick to operate and recover fines. I'll be building my miller table out of wood and using the Krylon Chalk Board paint. My question is, how long should a miller table be?

Thanks!
russau
i made one using the paint also. it worked but not as good as i wanted it to. im now cutting a peice of 3/8 inch slate for my table. you can make it any size you want. but remember that you only run screened cons over it.and EACH run is using the seperate screenings.and rerun the screenings with a different slope of the table and maybe a lower water flow to check if you missed some of the smaller gold.ive seen table that were 4 foot long and ive seen tables that were 1 foot long. the shorter /smaller the table, the lower amount of cons are feed onto the table at a time. and i use a autofeeder to feed all my cleanup equipment. after watching Gats auto feeder art the RMMR in Idahoe Springs, i surmised that this is the only way to feed small cons to any cleanup equipment.the more consistant you can be with feed,water flow, the better recovery youll have with any equipment! good luck and post a picture of what you come up with! Merry Christmass
CP
Hi TK0043,

Welcome to the forums.

For screen classifier sizes you'll definately want to start with a 1/2" minus classifier and then 1/4" as well....from there you may wish to make several smaller sizes depending on which clean up process you are trying to use.
Our tips and plans pages have a very easy to make classifier plans also. with normal 5 gallon buckets and a few pieces from the hardware store you can make different sizes that will last a good long while and work very well in the top of a whole bucket with water......you'll be able to classify down a whole bucket of material in just a minute or two.

Good luck on the miller table build, Thanks Russ for giving some great info on that too.

CP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.