Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rock hounding tools/equipment
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
russau
i was at a retires lunchen and a 87 year old friend asked me if id be interested in buying his equipment. being caught off gaurd, i said sure and im planning on going over to see what he has and the price. plus he has a lot of rock/minerals he said he would give away. he said he has a 10 inch saw,tumbeler,polisher,and i cant remember what else he said other than some touquise and lake superior banded agets and a tom of rocks. now my delima! i dont have a clue what this is worth or what to offer him. he wants to get rid of it cause hes not in any shape to do it anymore. what do i do? i dont have a lot of money,but i dont want to let this (possibly good deal) get by me without a chance to buy it. maybe resell it if its to far out of my range...it sounds like itll be a truck load of stuff???!!
russau
after i got done posting this question this guy (ED) called me and wanted me to come over next week to look at his equipment. a 10 inch rock saw (in good shape) a grinder with all the polishing wheels lots of tumbelers and his rocks. hes asking $200. for it all. me not knowing the actual condition of it or even the price its worth, i thought this was a deal and im going to meet him next week. hes got out of town company this week! so i guess im in business now! now where to put it all?
realnice
Sounds like an awesome deal! The rock saw should be worth that alone. Time to make room in the garage biggrin.gif
Be sure to let us know what kind of rocks you get.

realnice music.gif
CP
I agree, that's a heck of a good deal if you can get it. Even if the saw needs a new blade but is functional you'll be doing well. We'll be looking forward to seeing what the whole package is including the cutting material if you end up with it Russ.
dickb
Hi RussAu:

If you decide to go ahead and buy the stuff, you might want to ask him where he did most of his collecting. It would save you a lot of searching time if you had a few places that you knew about to hunt. I'm sure he would be more that happy to help get you started in the right direction.

Also, Matt Mattson has a few videos to watch on collecting on his utube videos. (flagold) is his search name.

Good luck to you. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dickb
russau
yep Matt has some great videos! Matt is also a personnal friend of mine.
dickb
Hi Russau:

Nuff said. TIME TO START GRUBBIN ROCKS! laurel_and_hardy.gif

Dickb
russau
QUOTE (dickb @ Dec 11 2010, 11:34 AM) *
Hi Russau:

Nuff said. TIME TO START GRUBBIN ROCKS! laurel_and_hardy.gif

Dickb

hahahaha, i better start with the pile of them that i already have! or momma will be mad!
Denise
What a GREAT deal Russ!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Sounds like you stumbled onto a great find.......
BTW.....

Happy Birthday!!!
I hope you have a great day today. happy088.gif
russau
thankyou Mrs.CP!
russau
well the day has come and i picked up a half of pickup truck load of items. i havent had time to inventory everything but Ed kept on saying oh, heres somemore i want you to have.good thing i brought 2 of my sons with me. but a quick list is:1 10inch rock saw(older) 1 3-4 inch wet rock saw (brand new in the box and not opened) 2 lap polishers,atleast 4 or 5 tumblers(some new) boxs of tumbeling/polishing grit.grinders,buffers,spare discs,pads.several boxs of already slabed stones of various types, 1 box of slabed tourquios ,misc. box of geodes/crystals and a cuple of other peices of equipment that i cant remember what i have now. now i need a place to see what i really have and decide what to do with it all and where todo it at!i thought maybe my wife would like to get into this, but now shes thinking i should......my wife already has something for me to do using this equipment.now she will have to give up part of her area in the basement for me to get setup.
CP
Sweet Russ, sounds like you've got enough stuff for you both to get started in lapidary art! chores041.gif happy088.gif
You'll find a ton of info around the Colorado Prospector forums that will come in handy for learning about, setting up and using those pieces of equipment too. But you already knew that since you've been part of this community for so many years. signs021.gif
Let us know if you have any questions and we'll all be looking forward to both of your future updates and cool creations posts.
biggrin.gif
dickb
Hi russau:

Great! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Glad to here that you went ahead and bought the lap equipment.

Its a great hobby to do when you not sucking air and with the cold and snow in MO, it will give you something to do when Ma isn't yelling at you to get the honeypoo's finished.

Lots of luck and I hope you like the hobby.

Dickb
CP
Hi Dick and thanks for the link to another forum.
Surely there has to be some good info around this forum though right?

I hope that as often as other links to other forums are posted here that the same reciprocal type linking is being done at those other sites as well for the Colorado Prospector website.....that is if you feel the info here is worthwhile?

CP
CP
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Dec 16 2010, 09:36 AM) *
Hi Dick and thanks for the link to another forum.
Surely there has to be some good info around this forum though right?

I hope that as often as other links to other forums are posted here that the same reciprocal type linking is being done at those other sites as well for the Colorado Prospector website.....that is if you feel the info here is worthwhile?

CP

Ah I see, since the links been removed that was posted (not by me), then I guess that answers the questions.

russau
i try to plug/recommend CP every chance i get on other websites and God knows i visit a lot of them everyday!
CP
Yep I know you do Russ and thank you buddy! signs021.gif
russau
well i guess it just wasnt ment tobe! the lapadary equipment i bought last December i really didnt have room to store it so it got stacked in the rear garage on top of everything else.my wife didnt want to learn to use it and i needed the space. so a friend of mine was talking about wanting a rock saw and some tumbelers sooooooooooooo i mentioned that i have a lot of equipment i may want to sell. i mailed them pictures of what i had and a price that we latter agreed to so it was sold at a good deal for them and myself.a few of the vibrating tumbelers and 2 of the lap devices were new or close to it. they are happy with the deal and now i have gas money to goto Wyoming this year! i know Leonard asked if D&D wanted to come plus i think he also asked Swizz. its going tobe a great time again this year and i hope youall can make it !!!!!!! ill probly get up there around June 26/27 and be there for two weeks or so. we will be on the flats at Douglas Creek. theres NO WAY a person could miss our camp!
leonard
QUOTE (russau @ Mar 27 2011, 06:50 PM) *
well i guess it just wasnt ment tobe! the lapadary equipment i bought last December i really didnt have room to store it so it got stacked in the rear garage on top of everything else.my wife didnt want to learn to use it and i needed the space. so a friend of mine was talking about wanting a rock saw and some tumbelers sooooooooooooo i mentioned that i have a lot of equipment i may want to sell. i mailed them pictures of what i had and a price that we latter agreed to so it was sold at a good deal for them and myself.a few of the vibrating tumbelers and 2 of the lap devices were new or close to it. they are happy with the deal and now i have gas money to goto Wyoming this year! i know Leonard asked if D&D wanted to come plus i think he also asked Swizz. its going tobe a great time again this year and i hope youall can make it !!!!!!! ill probly get up there around June 26/27 and be there for two weeks or so. we will be on the flats at Douglas Creek. theres NO WAY a person could miss our camp!

We'd be happy to have any of the ColoradoProspector people come. We have a claim there so you don't have to join anything. It's a large place and we have a lot of fun. Most of us are dredgers but we don't discriminate against those that aren't.

Basically it's for the 1st week of July or so.
Leonard
Denise
QUOTE (russau @ Mar 27 2011, 06:50 PM) *

Sorry to hear that you sold the equipment Russ, but I fully understand. We had to sell our combo unit to be able to continue on here.
Im going to miss that thing lots cry.gif , but its worth it to be able to continue moving forward. I still have my #2 though. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.