Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to request info from the FS?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Land Rights, Laws and References > Fight For Your Rights!
realnice
I am wondering how to go about requesting information from the FS. Can I just go into their office ans ask?? I am needing to request information on how the determination of a disturbance to be significant was made, reports from environmental analysis, and a ranger contact report. Is it better to use USPS and send a letter or is e-mail Ok. The District ranger always takes forever to email me or doesn't even respond so maybe "real" mail is better and more official? Also, do they have a time limit to provide me with this info??

realnice music.gif
CP
Hi realnice,

I just posted this in the other thread we've been discussing similar but I'll also post this here as well for anyone who's wondering about info requests.

For information requesting, you should use the Freedom of Information Act or F.O.I.A. for short. There is a form to use as I understand it and timelines that the gov must follow when you file a request for information. I've never filed one myself but know of many claim owners who have done just that to get the complete file the department had on them and their claims.
You can google for it and find some information as well as the form to use.

When ever you send anything to the FS or BLM through the mail always use return receipts so you know not only that they did in fact receive the document, but also what day they got it and who signed for it to get it!

CP
realnice
Hi all,
I found this great sample FOIA letter and used it today. Check it out and maybe print a copy for your mining folder. There are also links to more information on the FOIA [ Freedom of Information Act ] emoticon-object-018.gif

FOIA sample letter and useful info

Have a grate day!

realnice music.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.