Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some advice.?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
kalenmcdonald
I just recently purchased the garret scorpion gold stinger. And i couldnt think of a better place to test it than at clear creek just down the road a little ways froom blackhawk. Anyways i used it in the creek due to is submergable coil. In all metal mode like it suggests in the instructions. Then when i started finding something i switched it to motion discr. And it still made a pretty load beep with the discrim. At setting 7. And so i dug a was and panned out a piece of galvanized wire and also dug up some large nails. But no gold. What should i do to get my detector to discriminate the nails and junk out to where i only hear it beep on the good stuff?
colo_heff
Here's a URL that might help...
http://www.treasurequestxlt.com/community

I own a White's DFX metal detector and have gone on forums to figure out how to work my detector... What I've found is gold can vary in readings (VDI) and several people recommend "dig it" when you get a tone within a certain VDI range (which includes pop tops, junk metal, etc.)... I hope that link will help you...
Voltaire
If you thought that a metal detector is a "magic stick" I have to disappoint you..
The discrimination depends on conductivity, which is quite limited none the less.
As such there is no way to just dig treasure and leave all scrap behind.

Gold has a similar conductivity as Nickel and smaller Aluminium pieces (i.e. Pull tabs) so that's the area you should focus on, but still the best is without a doubt to dig it all. emoticon-misc-004.gif

As for the DFX, its a nice detector. Got one myself. happy112.gif
However it is not really intended for prospecting as such, then the V3 is quite a bit better as an all-rounder. greensmilies-012.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.