Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire, wish me luck
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Off Topic
swizz
Took this about 5 minutes ago, but now can see big flames. This was taken from the back yard looking west. No wind but it's really spreading fast now. Lots of fire trucks headed that way. Not many homes back there that I'm aware of.
swizz
It has grown quite a bit but still not coming this way.

This is a closer look with my big lens (there is a helicopter hoovering to the right of the smoke plume)

We are getting air support already
swizz
Fire looks to be stalling. Tons of air support now, at least three to four planes working it!

They are flying right over my place.

Boogie
Good luck swizz! Hope they get it under contol soon! Beautiful backyard you have there. Hope it stays that way!
swizz
Thanks Boogie. It looks like they have a handle on it now, there is less smoke and it hasn't gone any further up that ridge since the pic above of the slurry bomber dropping. They are still dropping regularly and flying overhead, three planes I believe. God bless 'em! signs021.gif
smileyflag.gif greensmilies-017.gif smileyflag.gif
Boogie
That's good news! This dry spell adds a lot to the fire danger this fall. I hope they can keep it under control.
swizz
Update.
As the sun comes up it is about 26 degrees here and I see no smoke plume on the ridge although the valley is hazy. I'm thinking they'll have this beat today.
CP
Very glad to see they are getting this one under control quickly and we sure hope they do have this one completely under control today.
Looks like that was really gaining ground in the first few pics and wasn't very far away from your place.
Nice shots of the slurry plane too, those guys do one heck of job both in the air and the ground fighters. greensmilies-017.gif emoticon-misc-004.gif

CP
Coalbunny
Boy I sure am glad you're safe!
Persistence
Just my opinion. I really don't want to see anyone lose any property or anything. However, nature should be allowed to take it's own course.
swizz
QUOTE (Persistence @ Oct 6 2010, 09:56 PM) *
Just my opinion. I really don't want to see anyone lose any property or anything. However, nature should be allowed to take it's own course.

Perhaps you have a point. I'm aware of that school of thought and there are folks who love to argue this, but this fire was not a cause of nature... it was human caused. I choose not to dismiss occurrences of arson or carelessness as 'acts of nature'.
russau
Swizz i hope they caught the jerk that started the fire and make him pay restitution for our loss! maybe that would keep another jerk from doing this for kicks!
swizz
If it was arson or carelessness I hope that the person is found and prosecuted. They won't release much information on the cause yet (under investigation) but have indicated that it was likely human. Yesterday the fire command center pulled out of town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.