Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: highbanking conveyor
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Mike B.
Has anyone ever used a small gas powered (1 hp) conveyor belt to move material when highbanking?

I was at Cache Creek, CO. this last summer and was watching guys fill 5 gal. buckets full of material and lift it out of the 4-5 foot hole they were digging and standing in.

I've been to the BLM web site and although limitations are placed on hp and suction and other things... I've never read or seen anything prohibiting using a conveyor to move material to the sluice.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/rgfo/minera...ache_creek.html

Perhaps someone has already been down this road and found it wasn't feasible. Just checking.
CP
Hi Mike,

Although the Arkansas headwater recreational area (including Cache creek) can have extra regulation in place, which they do. This actually crosses a specific "threshold" within the laws requirements for a P.O.O. to be filed (on mining claims) because it could/would be considered use of "mechanized earth moving equipment". Even though it's a very small conveyor at 1 hp it could still fall into this catagory technically.
I would suggest avoiding those steps unless you are on a good claim and prepared for alot more paperwork and able to have a potential for good profits to go through all that process.

As far as Cache creek specifically, you'll have to inquire with the BLM district office, even though it may not seem restricted in what is written they may feel otherwise. Beings it is a recreational area and has many recreational prospectors visiting, they may very well just give the a'okay for it too, can't hurt to ask them.

CP
Mike B.
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Sep 22 2010, 01:46 PM) *
Hi Mike,

Although the Arkansas headwater recreational area (including Cache creek) can have extra regulation in place, which they do. This actually crosses a specific "threshold" within the laws requirements for a P.O.O. to be filed (on mining claims) because it could/would be considered use of "mechanized earth moving equipment". Even though it's a very small conveyor at 1 hp it could still fall into this catagory technically.
I would suggest avoiding those steps unless you are on a good claim and prepared for alot more paperwork and able to have a potential for good profits to go through all that process.

As far as Cache creek specifically, you'll have to inquire with the BLM district office, even though it may not seem restricted in what is written they may feel otherwise. Beings it is a recreational area and has many recreational prospectors visiting, they may very well just give the a'okay for it too, can't hurt to ask them.

CP

Thanks CP, I was thinking kinda the same direction. I'll be contacting them shortly. I didn't think of it as a big deal. I figured if I could use a gas engine to move water then why not a small gas engine to move dirt.

You're on target about contacting them....Thanks!!!
Mike B.
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Sep 22 2010, 01:46 PM) *
Hi Mike,

CP

Hey CP, Here's my e-mail correspondence with BLM. I figured, what do I have to lose?

Michael,
As of now, we will probably not consider the allowance of gas engines to convey material dirt in the Cache Creek Area. This area sees a lot of people and, as you know, the location is very small. But, please check back in the spring to make sure, as we are re-addressing some of the requirements we have set for placer activities various areas.
Thanks!

Stephanie Carter, P.G.
Geologist
Royal Gorge Field Office
Bureau of Land Management
3028 E Main Street
Canon City, CO 81212
719-269-8551
----- Forwarded by Stephanie Carter/CCFO/CO/BLM/DOI on 10/05/2010 09:01 PM
-----

Keith
Berger/CCFO/CO/BL
M/DOI To
"Michael Boettcher"
09/29/2010 11:28 <shakers0234@att.net>, Stephanie
AM Carter/CCFO/CO/BLM/DOI@BLM,
Melissa_Smeins@blm.gov@BLM
cc

Subject
Re: Cache Creek recreational gold
prospecting area.(Document link:
Stephanie Carter)

Thank you for the kind words about the Cache Creek area and recreational
prospecting. I'll forward your request for further information to our
geologists (who really deserve the credit for Cache Creek and who are a lot smarter than I am ........and can actually answer your question correctly.) Good luck with finding a good nugget..........

Keith Berger
Field Manager
Royal Gorge Field Office
3028 E. Main St., Canon City, CO 81212
719-269-8515
keith_berger@co.blm.gov

"Michael
Boettcher"
<shakers0234@att. To
net> <keith_berger@blm.gov>
cc
09/29/2010 11:10
AM Subject
Cache Creek recreational gold
prospecting area.

Dear Mr. Berger,

My name is Michael Boettcher.  Last year was my first time to visit the Cache Creek recreational gold prospecting area.  I appreciate all you guys do to keep this area open for us recreational prospectors.  I have no big ideas of striking it rich or finding a large nugget, but I do enjoy the outdoors and do everything I can to help keep it beautiful, not just for my use but also for future generations to come.

Next summer I’m hoping to use a 1 ½ inch suction pump to move water to my high banker.  I was wondering, since you guys allow prospectors to move water, would it also be OK to use a 1 hp gas engine to convey material
(dirt) to my sluice?  I’ve been wondering for sometime and haven’t heard or read if it was OK or not.

I just wanted to check because I too am a Federal Employee with the USDA/FSIS.  I’m a Supervisory GS-10.  I’d hate to find myself non-compliant with your regulations, directives or notices.

Thanks again for all you guys do and look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

With all sincerity,

Michael Boettcher
106 Antonita St.
Dodge City, KS. 67801

CP
Thanks for the update on this question Mike,

Kind of figured that would be the answer but never hurts to ask in a situation such as that.
Hope you do find a nugget next time you visit too. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

CP
Coalbunny
QUOTE (Mike B. @ Sep 22 2010, 11:06 AM) *
Has anyone ever used a small gas powered (1 hp) conveyor belt to move material when highbanking?

I was at Cache Creek, CO. this last summer and was watching guys fill 5 gal. buckets full of material and lift it out of the 4-5 foot hole they were digging and standing in.

I've been to the BLM web site and although limitations are placed on hp and suction and other things... I've never read or seen anything prohibiting using a conveyor to move material to the sluice.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/rgfo/minera...ache_creek.html

Perhaps someone has already been down this road and found it wasn't feasible. Just checking.

A conveyor can be feasible, depending on the equipment you get. Remember that overhead is a huge factor- The less overhead expenses the more likelihood that a small operation will profit. And conveyors can be manually driven as well. It's not difficult to make something from scratch, and really in a small operation something commercially made can be more of a burden than it's worth.

You need to define a lot-
  • What is the expected belt capacity that you want?
    - This will help you decide the dimensions of the conveyor.
  • How much material do you expect to move?
    - This will help you decide a lot, such as power source and it also helps decide the dimensions.
  • Would a belted conveyor be best, or what about a roller conveyor?
    - Belted conveyors are powered whereas roller conveyors are not. Roller conveyors are more inexpensive to work with, but they have less capability because of slope influence.
  • Will you be able to produce enough material to warrant running the conveyor continuously, or will it be periodic?
    - This also helps decide the power source and dimensions.

Also, what is the intent here? Recreational or to actually mine for profit? Dan understands what I'm saying there.
Because if it's recreational, don't waste your time and money buying a conveyor, instead make it from scratch. Which IS easy to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.