Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats this? #5
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Historical Equipment and Tales
Denise
Here is a cool antique I found on the net, and thought this would make a good "what's this?".

Can anyone tell me what this was used for? wink.gif
I'll add a link to the information, and where I found the picture later.

Click to view attachment

anyone.gif
Boogie
Called a "Sticking Tommy", they were candlestick holders that were used in mines.
CP
Right on Boogie, that's exactly what they are. Good eye. happy088.gif

Here's a link that talks about them a bit more for those interested too.

http://www.antiqbuyer.com/mining.html

CP
Denise
Great information............

Miners Candlesticks can be marked with the maker or mine name. Candlesticks were often made by blacksmiths and so there are many many unique and different examples that can be found. Some are very crude and utilitarian, while others are superb pieces of workmanship and are considered pieces of art. Unusual candlesticks can have fuse cutters built in to them, or can fold up to be more compact, or even those that come apart (known as take-downs) for easier transport and storage. There are also examples with different means to hold the candle, or ones that have storage area for matches, and even one variety or type that has an area to try and hide a little bit of gold from the mine owners on the way out of the mine, and these are called High Graders.

candle_smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.