Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fossil/Mineral Show - pic HEAVY
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Fossil Finds, Processes, Adventures and Outings
swizz
Went down to the Fossil/Mineral/Gem Show today with GB at the Denver Coliseum. It was an excellent venue, both indoors and outdoors. I was hoping to find a reasonably priced complete Keichousaurus fossil specimen in matrix but there was nothing under $400 in that category. I still scored a nice piece though, pictured below....

This is what I purchased today. It's about 2ft tall, 1.5ft wide and 6" deep.... weighs about 35lbs! it has a polished face and good color.

This is about 1/2 of the outside vendors. Great weather and no over-crowding!

The rest of these pics are of things that I either couldn't afford or weren't for sale, but caught my eye.

This is me standing next to some bookends that were a little out of my price range.

GB standing next to prehistoric shark jaw fossil... which apparently ate a stingray, two minnows, and some lady.

continued......
swizz
Great Dinosaur skeleton displays

This one was about 60+ ft long!

continued.......
swizz
Platecarpus skull fossil.... only $22,000

... or maybe a baby whale fossil for $75,000

Nice fossil display

This guy had an excellent collection from Fossil Lake

continued.....
swizz
... more from the Fossil Lake collection

excellent Stingray with vegetation and small fish for $3950.00

some big feet

This Ammonite is about the size of my Jeep tires

continued......
swizz
For $3200 this beautiful crystal formation could be yours

Incredible spheres

This bookend druzy of all druzies was going for $5900 pair

very cool formation here
swizz
And.... The Big Log, this was interesting

He had about 30ft of it at the show

Awesome show, hope you enjoyed the pics!
russau
thanks for the tag-a-long Swizz!
Denise
Great trip report and pics Swizz, and fantastic specimens! Looks like it was a blast for sure. Nice find on the Amythest! Cool looking little star patterned geode next to it also. You crack me up........." GB standing next to prehistoric shark jaw fossil... which apparently ate a stingray, two minnows, and some lady." smiley-laughing021.gif It was hungry!

Thanks for the show updates! I enjoyed them alot. happy.gif

BTW.................XYZ, in that pic of yourself.
laugh.gif
swizz
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Sep 21 2010, 06:32 AM) *
Cool looking little star patterned geode next to it also.

BTW.................XYZ, in that pic of yourself.
laugh.gif

I know, I saw that. I think I went through the whole show with my barndoor open. slaphead.gif Dang Yooper hillbilly... I couldn't even scrounge up a clean pair of jeans that day.
Thanks for the geode compliment, that's one of my Grand County specimen finds from this spring. I'll have to put those together for a pictorial sometime, but I'm not done collecting yet. emoticon-misc-004.gif
Thanks Russ and Denise!
Denise
Too funny Swizz!
I wouldnt sweat wearing dirty jeans, thats actually the best thing to wear to a rock show. You fit right in. happy088.gif
The ones you saw wearing the suits and ties, are the ones that were buying those higher priced beauties you were showing us.
chaplin.gif

You found the other specimens in that pic with your buy? smiley-shocked003.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Sweet finds!!
What is that in the far back left of the same pic? unsure.gif

So when did you say you were going to be done collecting, so we can see pics? music037.gif

biggrin.gif
Denise
Too funny Swizz!
I wouldnt sweat wearing dirty jeans, thats actually the best thing to wear to a rock show. You fit right in. happy088.gif
The ones you saw wearing the suits and ties, are the ones that were buying those higher priced beauties you were showing us.
chaplin.gif

You found the other specimens in that pic with your buy? smiley-shocked003.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Sweet finds!!
What are those in the far back left of the same pic? unsure.gif

So when did you say you were going to be done collecting, so we can see pics? music037.gif

biggrin.gif
swizz
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Sep 21 2010, 11:33 AM) *
What are those in the far back left of the same pic? unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

You have a good eye. wink.gif I had to go back and look at that pic to see what was all in it. This is my small display table and I carefully pushed everything aside to take the shot of the Amethyst I bought. I think you know dang well what's on the left rear of that mess. happy088.gif
I've worked one small piece so far (pic below), splitting the layers with a thin razor blade, but saving the rest for winter when I can really dig in! chores041.gif
The Coprolite next to that stack is a large one that I purchased about a year ago. It's very similar to the one that I won at the CP outing but a little larger. GB & I halved it with his lap gear but I haven't attempted to polish it yet.

possibly an insect wing and part of a thorax or an annelid, what ye think?

Denise
QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 22 2010, 08:24 AM) *
You have a good eye. wink.gif I had to go back and look at that pic to see what was all in it.

Thanks Swizz, but I truely had no idea what it was, that was pure coincidence. biggrin.gif I do only have one good eye, and it has been having one heck of a time lately. wacko.gif

For example, the last pic your showing with fossils almost looks like a fish head looking to the right to me. tongue.gif
I know, I should give the good eye a break.
wink.gif

BTW......Nice avatar!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.