Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Clean-Up Sluice
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
swizz
Needed something I could run indoors for my cons that are 30 mesh and larger. I picked this up but haven't tried it yet.
Heck, the price was right and this guy appears to have put some R&D into it.
It uses the NEW Keene rubber riffle matting.
I was seriously considering the new Keene Super Black Sand Concentrator that utilizes this matting but it costs $400.00 and comes with a bunch of bells and whistles that, frankly, I can fabricate and add on my own.
For a savings of $365.50 I got this puppy: my new cleanup sluice
Should work well for the 30+, no?
dickb
QUOTE (swizz @ Aug 4 2010, 11:17 AM) *
Needed something I could run indoors for my cons that are 30 mesh and larger. I picked this up but haven't tried it yet.
Heck, the price was right and this guy appears to have put some R&D into it.
It uses the NEW Keene rubber riffle matting.
I was seriously considering the new Keene Super Black Sand Concentrator that utilizes this matting but it costs $400.00 and comes with a bunch of bells and whistles that, frankly, I can fabricate and add on my own.
For a savings of $365.50 I got this puppy: my new cleanup sluice
Should work well for the 30+, no?

Real nice looking, I hope it does a great job on the fine gold for you. I just bought a Predator II from MacKirk and am still putting it together.

Let us know how it works! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dickb
swizz
QUOTE (dickb @ Aug 4 2010, 12:29 PM) *
I just bought a Predator II from MacKirk and am still putting it together.

I just searched it, that looks nice! I like the hopper feed. happy088.gif
YellowFever
I just started to make a clean up sluice almost like the one that your buying! that is a great price as long as you don't get nailed on shipping. I will try to post some pictures of mine in a day or two.
dickb
Hi Swizz:

Here are the pictures of the sluice that I told you about. They need to be resized smaller, Then I'll add some details and information.

I screened these cons to -20 to run. I will post a picture of the cleanup next.

Here's my homemade highbanker that I recovered them from at Thermal City this Easter.

This is my first run with the equipment and I need to get better a using it! But you have to start somewhere! HA HA thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dickb
swizz
Dick,
Thanks for posting those great pics! char098.gif
The Predator looks killer. Did it come with the whole recirc setup or did you fabricate it? Either way it looks tidy and efficient.
I also like that highbanker you made. You should consider adding a hopper feed to it.
Nice!
YellowFever
Very nice! love the pictures!
dickb
QUOTE (swizz @ Aug 6 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Dick,
Thanks for posting those great pics! char098.gif
The Predator looks killer. Did it come with the whole recirc setup or did you fabricate it? Either way it looks tidy and efficient.
I also like that highbanker you made. You should consider adding a hopper feed to it.
Nice!

Hi Again:

The sluice is all that came in the package. It had the water box, hopper and legs as an assembly. I cobbled the rest of it together. Seems to work real well and the water flow was very even and constant. I could watch the black sand and small gravel work its way down the sluice. The fine gold and flakes were caught at the top of the sluice and as I feed the hopper with a tablespoon, I could watch it spread down the riffles. You can see in the photo the water flow I was using and that was from a bilge pump fully open. The white hose fitting in the water box that came with the sluice has about a 3/8" hole in it and I plan to get a hose adapter with a larger hole to see if it will work any better. I cleaned out the sluice after running the contents of that bucket, about a 1/2 gal of -20 cons and I could see flakes and small pieces in the riffles. After putting it in a pan, I was suprised how fine the flour gold was that I trapped. I gonna order a -50 and -100 classifier to get the small sand pieces out of the pan. That way I can seperate the cons into -20, -50 & -100 and run each seperately. I still have both larger and smaller cons to run yet. I still can't say if I will be able to avoid using a blue bowl.

As for the hopper, I'm working on that also. I want to use the classifiers in the hopper box, that way I can change the size if the grizzily to suit the material I'm working. Beach, bar sand, a gravel bar or a bench deposit, like at Cache. I have a garden hose that is tee'd into my pump and I use that to flush the material thru the classifier. I started building it when I got back after the Easter trip and I will look like the bucket grizzily that MacKirk sells.

I'll add more information as I learn more about it. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dickb
flatoutgold
here are a couple of pictures of one i built. i have another one i built but do not have any pictures as of yet. will post when i get them!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
this works very well for fine gold and can be set up inside if you want. it is 3'' pvc and rubber u matting. i also have one i built out of 20 ga. 316 stainless.
both work wonderful but the stainless seems to catch more of the super fines as i created ripples by over lapping my matting and put a cross grain into the metal to give it a toothy surface like a miller table. i hope you enjoy the first pictures and will take some pics. of the other one and post as soon as possible.
YellowFever
i wanted to show everyone some pictures of my cleanup sluice that I made eating-popcorn-03.gif

I think I have about $50 total in it :)

Here is a picture of a cleanup that I did with it, It works really good with fine gold even the 100- stuff!

I estimate that I recover 95% to 98%, I have a larger one at home that I can run a 5galon bucket in about 10 min!!!!!!!!!!
marntson
Not quite a sluice but still a recovery device. Picked this up off of craigslist last fall, needed some minor repairs. finally got a setup we like although its still a work in progress, mainly need a little bigger water pump.

The first few are of the setup, then some gold collected out of a few buckets that had already been run through a gold wheel 2 times. The last is hard to see but the mustard colored stuff riding high in the blacks is gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.