Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rock tumblers
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Ryan
Ok, I have been prospecting for the past few months. I have been picking up rocks that look cool. What should I be looking for in a tumbler?
CP
Cool Ryan, you will definately like having a tumbler to polish up some of the local finds you're accumulating.
We have a Lortone double barrel 3 lb tumbler and it does a good job. Lortone also makes a single 3 lb and then a couple larger barrel sizes that will do maybe 6 lbs each I think. From there they get very big and take alot more material for each batch.
To start out I'd say the 3 lb double barrel would be a great one, then they have a 4 grit kit pack from the same company that has all grits rough to polish needed for a few batches. You'll need to supply the additional things like soap chips for the burnishing stage and any pellets for cushioning if needed.

We've got a couple threads around the forum going about tumblers and using them. Here is one for tumbling processes with a few tips, Tumblers thread in the finds and processes section.

I've seen some interesting homemade ones too, one even utilized a four wheel drive axle/transfer case set up with electric motor drive and then all four wheels/tires were modified into tumbler drums. Another idea used tires and modified inner drums for seals, then just stands the tires on a pair of rolling bars, one free spinning and one driven.
Sizes can get very very big with some, even 600 lb models. Bet that one would make some noise.

Post up some pics of your's when you get one and get it going and or if you have questions about running them.

CP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.