Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the gold recovery difference of a power sluice and a high-banker?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
rubinscube
does one recover gold less than the other?
russau
QUOTE (rubinscube @ Jul 17 2010, 11:43 AM) *
does one recover gold less than the other?

no,not neccissaily, capturing gold is in the hands of the individual that is setting up and running that peice of equipment.
swizz
QUOTE (rubinscube @ Jul 17 2010, 01:43 PM) *
what is the gold recovery difference of a power sluice and a high-banker? does one recover gold less than the other?

That's kinda like asking... What works better, a sluice - or a sluice?
Both 'highbanker' and 'power sluice' feed material into a sluice. Sluice is the beginning of the recovery process, it traps the gold.
By "power sluice"... I'm assuming that you're referring to a suction-type (floating) river or stream dredge. This is the type of unit I use. It limits me to prospecting for stream placers since an underwater suction tube feeds the sluice.
A highbanker has a hopper feed and requires a person to shovel dry or wet dirt into the hopper, which feeds a sluice.
A "highbanker combo" can be operated with a hopper OR suction feed. Both feeds normally require a substantial water source.
All will yield similar "recovery" results since they all operate on the same principal of gold catching (sluice).
It depends more on what type of prospecting you will be doing and what type of material you are feeding the system to make an educated decision on which type of machine will suit you best and recover the most gold.
CP
Good answers guys.

I think the term power sluice is refering to sluices that utilize engines/pumps for water. That would include highbankers and dredges whether running in stream or on dry ground with settling areas.

Recovery with any type equipment used will be directly related to set up/use and amount of material run, no matter what kind of equipment.
Each will do a great job for what it's designed and some will do a great job in several type situations because of it's versitility such as combo units.

CP
russau
highbankers and power sluices are the same thing!
swizz
QUOTE (russau @ Jul 19 2010, 09:22 AM) *
highbankers and power sluices are the same thing!

I believe you are correct.
So then, answer his original question in your correct context - "what is the gold recovery difference of a high-banker and a high-banker?" research.gif
Maybe by "highbanker" he was referring to one of those desert vibrating things, or a portable recirculating sluice, or, or, or - there are many machines that fall into the category of "highbanker"
We may never know what he meant by "power sluice" or "highbanker".
... unless he gets back to this thread
eating-popcorn-03.gif
rich on western slope
A power sluice would be refering to a standard river/stream sluice which has a pumped in water source, usually though a header attachment. Highbanker would normally refer to a power sluice with the built in hopper/grizzly fixed over the sluice. As far as gold recovery is concerned, I would say the "highbanker" would be the better tool as it eliminates the need for pre-classification. You just shovel raw gravel in and let the machine classify for you. This will result in more gravel feed into it which, in turn, should result in more gold. Hope this answers your question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.