Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Detecting Around South Pass City?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
Colorado CJ
Me and my dad are going to do a bike ride/camp to the South Pass City area of Wyoming. I was wondering if any of you had metal detected in the area. I've read on some locals who had found many small nuggets and was wondering where they were finding them.

Any hints/tips?

We'll also be taking along a small folding sluice to work some of the creeks.

Thanks!

Coalbunny
Get to know your detector and how to use it properly.
Get to know the laws in Wyoming regarding metal detesting and prospecting.
Get to know the locals and who is or isn't a good idea to be around.
Learn how to prospect.

If you miss those, then I ask what it is you want us to tell you?
RichDColorado
Hi CJ - You might try to contact a local Wyo gold prospectors group. I travel to Wyo on business from time to time and contacted a member of a local club in Riverton, not too far from S Pass City and AC. When you get to South Pass, you can try some of the local businesses to get some insights on where to try. There's a restaurant I stopped in last time (I believe it's called the Grubstake - but don't hold me to that) in AC with good food, great owners, and a gold prospecting club used to hold their monthly meetings there and still may. The BLM has an office in Lander and may also be able to provide you with some info on places to detect. Also try the online resources or geocommunicator and LR2000 -

Good luck and bring back some good reports. I will be heading to that area again in Aug or Sept and hope to carve out some time from my work schedule to prospect a couple claims in that area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.