Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how small is 60x mesh?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
rubinscube
I am getting a classifying set that ends in 60x mesh. what would the mesh size be for a "screen" on a screen door be so that I can get an idea of the 60x mesh size. thanks.
swizz
60 mesh is quite a bit tighter weave than an average window screen.
I take it down to 100 mesh but 60 will put you into a plenty fine class. happy088.gif
rubinscube
QUOTE (swizz @ Jul 4 2010, 05:26 PM) *
60 mesh is quite a bit tighter weave than an average window screen.
I take it down to 100 mesh but 60 will put you into a plenty fine class. happy088.gif

thanks for the reply smiley-chores016.gif
CP
60 mesh is 0.251 mm according to the sieve mesh size conversion chart on wiki.

Here's the link for the whole scale if interested on the wiki mesh scale page. It goes all the way down too 400 mesh.

CP
Gold Seeker
Here is a picture of window screen size mesh it is 20 mesh, also pictures of 60 mesh, 80 mesh(smaller picture, I couldn't find 80 mesh in the same size picture) and 100 mesh.

Skip
rubinscube
QUOTE (Gold Seeker @ Jul 4 2010, 10:17 PM) *
Here is a picture of window screen size mesh it is 20 mesh, also pictures of 60 mesh, 80 mesh(smaller picture, I couldn't find 80 mesh in the same size picture) and 100 mesh.

Skip

wow, thanks
saltydoc
I'm surprised 100 mesh allows simple molecules like nitrogen to pass through, but I’m a “noob”. Maybe I’ll collect the nano-dust when I get experience smiley-laughing021.gif I may be too new to make jokes like this unsure.gif
Gold Seeker
QUOTE (saltydoc @ Jul 5 2010, 11:06 PM) *
I'm surprised 100 mesh allows simple molecules like nitrogen to pass through, but I’m a “noob”. Maybe I’ll collect the nano-dust when I get experience smiley-laughing021.gif I may be too new to make jokes like this unsure.gif

If you think that 100 mesh is tight you should see what 400 mesh looks like!!! smiley-laughing021.gif

Don't discount 100 mesh gold there is more 100 mesh and finer gold than there is any other size gold, this is the gold that you don't "see" and is going out of your pan when panning and not classifying, the bigger material will push it right out and you will never see it. unsure.gif sadno.gif

Skip
rubinscube
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Jul 4 2010, 06:26 PM) *
60 mesh is 0.251 mm according to the sieve mesh size conversion chart on wiki.

Here's the link for the whole scale if interested on the wiki mesh scale page. It goes all the way down too 400 mesh.

CP

thanks thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
rubinscube
QUOTE (Gold Seeker @ Jul 6 2010, 06:38 PM) *
If you think that 100 mesh is tight you should see what 400 mesh looks like!!! smiley-laughing021.gif

Don't discount 100 mesh gold there is more 100 mesh and finer gold than there is any other size gold, this is the gold that you don't "see" and is going out of your pan when panning and not classifying, the bigger material will push it right out and you will never see it. unsure.gif sadno.gif

Skip

thanks thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.