Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Topaz Mountain
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
mikeybrew
I had the great opportunity this past Saturday to visit Joe Dorris's claim at Topaz Mountain Gem Mine. I'd corresponded with Joe a few times in the past, and finally the timing worked out where I got to visit one of his claims. So, despite the horrible pouring rain I headed South and West to the Tarryalls, where the weather amazingly cleared up quite a bit for the day. It sprinkled on and off through the day, but there was enough sun that I got a sunburn as well! Joe was a very gracious host, and was very helpful in pointing out where I could dig, and in identifying specimens. I worked the same bank for most of the day, alternating between slowly raking a bench, and sifting material straight from the bank with a shaker box I threw together the night before. The topaz there is of course elusive, but here's definitely proof that there's plenty of good stuff left in the Tarryalls. I came home with a few good specimens, and of course a few more from the bag of topaz gravel concentratepurchased from Joe at the end of the day. I now also feel like I have a much better understanding of how the alluvial deposits occur, and what to look for. I think I'll probably have to take a solo trip up to the Tarryalls soon to see what I can find; although I hadn't found any topaz on my poking about North and South Tarryall peaks before, I'm definitely ready to tackle them again. Here's a couple pics from the day Saturday!
Denise
Sweet finds Mikey!! Looks like you had a great time with Joe. happy088.gif Hes a really good guy to learn from.
Is there somewhere where others can order some Topaz gravel for themselves from him? We have had several people ask us in the past if we know where to find any. Thanks for sharing the pics and adventure with us. It sure is a beautiful place!
mikeybrew
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jun 15 2010, 06:22 AM) *
Sweet finds Mikey!! Looks like you had a great time with Joe. happy088.gif Hes a really good guy to learn from.
Is there somewhere where others can order some Topaz gravel for themselves from him? We have had several people ask us in the past if we know where to find any. Thanks for sharing the pics and adventure with us. It sure is a beautiful place!

I don't think Joe really has any operation set up to "order" gravel per se, but I do know he sells bags of gravel through a few local stores. If I recall correctly, he might have some information on his website. Google Pinnacle 5 Minerals and you should be able to find your way through.

We'll be camping up at Spruce Grove in a couple weeks, both to do some prospecting and to catch the Perseid Meteor Showers, figure it would be a great place for viewing! Hoping to find some more topaz in those hills!
Rob Wilkerson
QUOTE (mikeybrew @ Aug 2 2010, 10:01 PM) *
I don't think Joe really has any operation set up to "order" gravel per se, but I do know he sells bags of gravel through a few local stores. If I recall correctly, he might have some information on his website. Google Pinnacle 5 Minerals and you should be able to find your way through.

We'll be camping up at Spruce Grove in a couple weeks, both to do some prospecting and to catch the Perseid Meteor Showers, figure it would be a great place for viewing! Hoping to find some more topaz in those hills!

Mikey, I know this is an old thread but we are going up to Spruce Grove in 2 weeks. Any luck ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.