Hi Everyone:

I drive by the Point Bar Recreational Area on the Arkansas River quite often and sometimes see LOTS of people prospecting there. When I was a kid, my dad took me fishing there many times. Here is my tale…

I remember a string of summers that we would talk with the same couple of young men that were digging and washing gravels from the flat "shelf like" area across from the highway. Dad & I liked fishing below their workings as it seemed to really draw in the fish. The guys digging there claimed to be finding enough gold to pay for their college tuition. This was back in the 1960's when gold was about $30 per troy ounce. With the current gold price, it is no wonder that I see so many folks working that area now!

Here are a couple of photos of the old workings I remember that are still visible today.

1st is an overview of the area I saw the young miners working that is between the railroad tracks and the river bank...
Click to view attachment

Next is a close up view of the bank where their diggins were and it looks like there is still some new excavation going on. This water channel below their workings is where the fishing was really good when the water was warm and low during late summer and early fall. I think the fish were attracted to additional food that they were putting into the water...like worms, grass hoppers and other bugs.
Click to view attachment

Please post any tales you may have about this area.

Sincerely,

ASTROBLEME