Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Online Gamers
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Off Topic
Boogie
I'll admit it, I've been a computer gamer since 1981 and an online gamer since 1987. What online games did/do you play (if any)?

Anyone remember Trade Wars? I played a little of it when Genie and Compuserve were the "internet" providers. Nothing like getting yer biscuits burned in a turn based text game.

Tribes (1995 or thereabouts) - Team Captain for )KOTC( Knights Of The Court. We were constantly schooled by LPB's. If you played, you'll know what an LPB is.

Tribes 2 - more of the same.

EQ - Waaaaay too much time playing this one. Assistant Guild Leader for Sunrise Casters Clan on Quellious server. Deleted my chars in 2002 or so.

EQ2 - Non guilded and loving it! Doin' whatever I want for a change. About the only one I still play.

Star Wars Galaxies - Not much anymore

WOW, Second Life, D&D Online - Tried them but never got into any of them.

Boogie
YellowFever
PS3 Socom Navy Seals Confratation

I try to play once a week, would rather be in the mountains hunting for gold!
Wham
My confession... Ha..!

I'm a game geek, there I said it...!

I grew up around games. My father, Tom Wham, is a game designer. For the most part, he designs board games, but he did create a few computer games (never published) in the late '70s early 80's for the TRS 80.

It looks like you started your computer gaming career about the same time I did... 1980 or so. (In no particular order) I played Trade Wars, Temple of Apshai, Santa Paravia en Fiumaccio, Android Nim, Hamurabi, Hunt The Wumpus, The Count, Pirate Adventure, Lunar Lander, Zork & many others I no longer remember.... All on a TRS 80 Model lll.

Although I never owned one, I spent a lot of time on a friends Commodore 64 & later C 128 playing M.U.L.E. We'd also fire up the old 300 baud modem to log in to various BBS locations (pre-internet) to play Global Conflict. (a Risk like game) & Trade Wars.

The PC years, from a 386 SX to my current Quad Core (DOS to Windows)... Wing Commander (series), various Star Trek games, Sim City, All kinds of World War 1 & 2 flight simulators. Sid Meier's Pirates, Railroad Tycoon, Civilization l - lV. Total War series up to Medieval ll Kingdoms. First person shooters: I've played them all....! From Wolfenstein 3D, Doom series, Quake series, Heretic & Hexen, Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, Half Life series, Call of Duty series, Tribes 1 & 2 .... Roll Playing... Most of the old TSR Hobbies (D&D) games..... Ultima l - Vlll.

The Ultima series led to my first MMORPG. "Ultima Online", Ultima was responsible for devouring about a year of my life & destroying a 5 year relationship. I swore off online gaming after this... that is... til my friends bought me EQ (3 months paid) for my birthday. They thought it would take my mind off my old gal... It did for about 6 months.... til I moved to Denver in 1999. I sold my character and equipment on E-bay for about $ 650.00 before they banned such activity.

I do occasionally play WoW, CoD (WaW & Mod 1&2) & Total War Kingdoms with my 11y/o step son, but since moving to Colorado, I've pretty much replaced my gaming addiction with "Gold Fever"...!
Boogie
You made my day Wham! Your father sounds like a fastinating character. I would love to meet him sometime. It's funny, he and I favor nearly all of the same TV shows! I admire his work and I'm already working on the wife to let me get one of his games. I'd love to get Colorado Railroads but sounds like it will be awhile. Thanks for his link!

Ok, since you brought it up, my first computer was a TRS-80 pocket computer. The only computer Sayer Mc Key in Leadville carried and dang lucky they even had that. It didn't take long to master writting programs in BASIC and I quickly outgrew it (Ok, I'll tell the truth... I foolishly put it in my back pocket and sat on it, shattering the LCD screen).

To get a fix for my withdraws, I got a Commodore Vic 20 and a cassette drive. Oh man! I remember staying up sometimes all night long typing in game programs from Compute Magazines. My wife still comments sometimes about how she used to sit there and read to me : "Data : 232,151,217,014..." as I typed it all in. Those were the days!

Next I got a TRS-80 Color Computer but didn't have it long. We got pregnant and I had to sell it.

The Vic 20 blew up and replaced it with a Commodore 16. Hacked into an assembler that was built into it and learned 6502 assembly language. Lot of good that did because a few years later 16bit came out and I was lost. Never did assembly ever again.

Upgraded to a C64 and scored a plethora of games by trading a color tv for the lot. Sometimes I miss the old grunts and groans of the 5-1/4 drive.. Played a lot of Gary Kitchen games. Elite was AWSOME!

Apple IIc came and went. <gag>

When I got the Atari 1040 ST I thought my life was complete and I'd never need another computer ever again. I was in the Air Force in Utah at the time, and EVERYONE who had computers had an Atari. If you had an IBM you were lame.

Well, after my term was up and I came back to Colorado, I was the one who was lame. Everyone who had computers had IBMs'. Well the story gets pretty boring from there. There simply isn't enough time and space to put down all the games I've played or even my favorites.

Boogie
Wham
Well, If you're into playing boardgames at all, and still living near Leadville... My dad usually makes it out to Colorado once a year after Labor Day. We usually spend a week or two in Frisco. (so he can ride the trains in Golden, Georgetown & Leadville). His minivan is always loaded with his games.... some new & in need of playtesting. Colorado Railroads is always in the pile...! He always open for more players... The More the Merrier...!
Boogie
Seriously?!?!!!

A chance to meet Tom Wham and play games with you guys? That would be AWSOME Wham!

We would love to meet up in Frisco if that works. He wouldn't happen to have another copy of Colorado Railroads for sale would he?

Oh yeah! Tell Tom that Futurama is comeing back and the season premiere is June 24th at 10pm (Eastern) on Comedy Central.

Are you bringing any prospecting equipment?

Boogie
Forestwalker
I had the best allaince hunter on my server for a while. Made all my gold in game mining thorium/crystals, feign death arcane crystal runs FTW. Way too much time into a game when you can sell your account for thousands. I'm not playing another MMO.

Played a lot of Diablo and the first 3 warcrafts on battle.net too.
Boogie
QUOTE (Forestwalker @ Jun 12 2010, 08:41 PM) *
I had the best allaince hunter on my server for a while. Made all my gold in game mining thorium/crystals, feign death arcane crystal runs FTW. Way too much time into a game when you can sell your account for thousands. I'm not playing another MMO.

Played a lot of Diablo and the first 3 warcrafts on battle.net too.

Diablo and Diablo II were great! I completed them both several times.. If you liked Diablo, You would probably like "Fate - Undiscovered Realms". It's a Diablo rip, but very good. Much larger world than Diablo.

Boogie
Coalbunny
Heck, I remember when I got a bigger kick out of playing Artillery Simulator or Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple IIc than I did playing Pac Man (or any other games) on the Atari.
Never did TRS-80 much, had one with a 9-3/8" floppy drive. I didn't like it.
TI 99/4A was pretty good, I did a lot of BASIC on that one, and then upgraded to the AII+ then AIIC. I lived with the AIIC forever.
Boogie
QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Jun 14 2010, 05:36 AM) *
Heck, I remember when I got a bigger kick out of playing Artillery Simulator or Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple IIc than I did playing Pac Man (or any other games) on the Atari.
Never did TRS-80 much, had one with a 9-3/8" floppy drive. I didn't like it.
TI 99/4A was pretty good, I did a lot of BASIC on that one, and then upgraded to the AII+ then AIIC. I lived with the AIIC forever.

The Atari 1040 ST had Castle Wolfenstein too except it was in color.

I've heard of 3.5, 5.25, and 8" but not the 9.375" drives. Did it come with it's own hammer and chisel for writting data?

Boogie
Wham
A day of gaming would be great. I just need to make sure he's coming to Colorado this year. The current economic conditions have him grumbling quite a bit, but he was grumbling a lot last year & still made the trip.

As far as bringing any prospecting equipment... For my dad, gold is an operating railroad, emoticon-object-009.gif So any time not playing games, I'll spend with him chasing trains! I'll ask him about Colorado Railroads. That's one of the few games of his that I don't have. I do have copy of Iron Dragon.
Boogie
QUOTE (Wham @ Jun 14 2010, 04:06 PM) *
A day of gaming would be great. I just need to make sure he's coming to Colorado this year. The current economic conditions have him grumbling quite a bit, but he was grumbling a lot last year & still made the trip.

As far as bringing any prospecting equipment... For my dad, gold is an operating railroad, emoticon-object-009.gif So any time not playing games, I'll spend with him chasing trains! I'll ask him about Colorado Railroads. That's one of the few games of his that I don't have. I do have copy of Iron Dragon.

No problem, Wham.

Also, I don't want to intrude on your family vacation, so if you guys change your mind, I will totally understand. If he doesn't have an extra handmade copy of Colorado Railroads, that's ok too. He has several alternatives I wouldn't mind getting instead.

We had Mr Hanky Burgers last night!!

Boogie
Coalbunny
QUOTE (Boogie @ Jun 14 2010, 08:16 AM) *

I've heard of 3.5, 5.25, and 8" but not the 9.375" drives. Did it come with it's own hammer and chisel for writting data?

Boogie

Then you likely didn't here of the 10.5" floppy drive that Xerox had for their 880G. The 880G was manu'd back in in 1964, and had a punch-card reader. In 1974 it was outfitted with a 10.5" floppy drive, and could hold 125 kb of data.
Boogie
QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Jun 15 2010, 01:50 AM) *
Then you likely didn't here of the 10.5" floppy drive that Xerox had for their 880G. The 880G was manu'd back in in 1964, and had a punch-card reader. In 1974 it was outfitted with a 10.5" floppy drive, and could hold 125 kb of data.

I can't say as I have heard of it. You made me go searching and I found the Alto. I must say, it looks several years ahead of it's time. Not exactly an affordable personal computer was it? Even the Alto had an 8" drive though. I can only assume the 880G was a predecessor.

Coalbunny
The first of the 880 series used vacuum tubes and were the size of a desk. By the time they got to the G series, it was a desktop models with cords running to the box, very much like today's machines.
h20prospector
QUOTE (Boogie @ Jun 14 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Boogie

When I had a Commodore 64 then 128, Castle Wolfenstein was my favorite game.
Boogie
QUOTE (h20prospector @ Jun 26 2010, 12:58 AM) *
When I had a Commodore 64 then 128, Castle Wolfenstein was my favorite game.

Did you ever play Miner 64? It was a Miner 49er clone for the 64. The graphics wasn't as good on the 64 but it was still addicting.

If you ever want to relive the old days and play C64 games on your pc, check this place out :
http://www.zzap64.co.uk/c64/help.html

There are other system emulators such as an ATARI ST emulator :
http://steem.atari.st/

NES 64 and other emulators are out there. Be careful searching though, there used to be hate sites that would infect your system with viruses. The two links (above) are safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.