Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fossil Hunting Yesterday (pics)
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Fossil Finds, Processes, Adventures and Outings
swizz
Managed to get out yesterday for some fossil hunting. Although the pics don't show it... the weather was kinda gnarly. A rain/snow mix made the hike and prospecting a sloppy adventure. I was so mud-encrusted by the time we got out of there.... I had to hose myself off at a carwash on the way home. emoticon-misc-004.gif
But it was well worth it! cloud9.gif
I took the field pics with my Droid since I didn't want to hike in the slop with my nice camera. The cleaned specimen shots were taken at home here with the DSLR a few minutes ago. Hopefully GB can chime in with some pics of his finds from yesterday... he found some really cool stuff too!
A friend took us to this spot and requested that we keep it under our hats so we are not at liberty to disclose the location. qdraw.gif

Field pics:

This is part of the wall we were working. The layer of fossilized leaves is high on the wall and difficult to access. It's steeper than it looks and was slick as snot... lots of loose debris. smiley-shocked003.gif GB & I braved it to the top several times and extracted rough, then took it down to carefully split layers open and reveal fossils. The matrix is extremely fragile, especially when it's wet.

Specimen pics:
These are the items that I carefully packed out and collected. I used a textile gun on the lightest setting to clean these.

russau
WOW!! a fossilized dogs head with colored fur! what a find! thanks for the pics. my wife has been wanting to go fossil hunting for sometime now...thisll (maybe)spure her into action!
CP
Nice finds Swizz, looks like you guys had a great day out there.
Very cool details in the leaves patterns revealed. happy088.gif What are the parallel lines impressioned from in the second to last picture?

Thanks for sharing the pics and day with everyone.

CP
mikeybrew
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ May 16 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Nice finds Swizz, looks like you guys had a great day out there.
Very cool details in the leaves patterns revealed. happy088.gif What are the parallel lines impressioned from in the second to last picture?

Thanks for sharing the pics and day with everyone.

CP

Looks like the hard work on a crappy day was well rewarded indeed! Some very nice leaves there!
RichDColorado
Nice looking fossils, Swizz, with some good clarity - Thanks for posting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.