Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's This? #34
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Denise
Here is a cool little piece! happy112.gif Can anyone tell me what it is?

I left the image big so you can click it for a more detailed photo. anyone.gif
Click to view attachment

chin.gif For those wondering............ Yes, Dan cut this one up already! chores017.gif

poke.gif
russau
conglomerate
Denise
Not a conglomerate, but keep trying Russ.
jim
excited.gif OO OO I know I know!!! But I think I'll wait and see if anyone else can tell. happy112.gif
swizz
Volcanic breccia or brecciated Jasper?
Denise
No it is not volcanic breccia or brecciated Jasper Chris. biggrin.gif Keep trying though.

swizz
concrete?
Denise
ohmy.gif Concrete........Now that would be some pretty special stuff if it was! wink.gif

Nope......Not concrete.
tongue.gif

Keep trying, and make sure you click the image for a more detailed picture.
RichDColorado
The profile on the right side looks a bit like our 37th president - Is it Nixonite?
Gold_Barnstormer
How 'bout Puddingstone....
Denise
laugh.gif Funny Rich! I never even noticed the face till you said that.

Sorry Jeff, Puddingstone is a conglomerate, and this piece is not. Keep trying though.
Coalbunny
Aunt Bess's fruitcake from the 1932 World Expo in Chicago? ph34r.gif
RichDColorado
QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Apr 5 2010, 10:33 AM) *
Aunt Bess's fruitcake from the 1932 World Expo in Chicago? ph34r.gif

and every bit as good today as when Grandpa got gallstones from it in '32 -
jim
music037.gif Ya'll jus let me know when ya wanna know what that rock is.
swizz
Quartz arenite?
CP
Nope sorry, not Quartz arenite either which is a sandstone (sedimentary) form with high quartz content and loose matrix.
Good try though Swizz.

Here's a hint.......it was an organic replaced by minerals......and would have been in a sedimentary formation to form the stone.
biggrin.gif
Good guesses everyone, keep trying.

CP
swizz
Coral (or other) biofacies of some kind?
jim
music037.gif
swizz
well then...
your latest addition to the stash compartment is a dead giveaway!
I'd have never guessed
Denise
hehe....Never guessed what Swizz? biggrin.gif

swizz
ahem... dino bone
what part of the bone fossilizes in that pattern and array of colors, marrow?
Denise
Good job Chris! Yes it is the marrow (holes in the bone) that is replaced with agate. If cut with them, it shows elongated pockets of colors. If cuting across them, it will show translucent agate filled holes with colors. happy088.gif Here is a picture Dan took of a cabochon he made from this piece.

I think it would be really cool If we could tell what kind of dino each piece was from.

Click to view attachment
jim
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I had a feeling it would be you Swizz. Sometime it's not as easy to tell from the rough.
swizz
That's a beautiful cab D&D. happy088.gif
Jim, that's the first I've seen dino bone rough like that. I definitely wouldn't have gotten it without looking the latest addition to the Stash Compartment. I've seen cabs and rings made from it but that's the first rough I've seen, pretty dang neat!
Fun trying to figure that one out also, it's always a learning experience.
I agree that it would be cool if it were easier or possible to ID the dinos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.