Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To cut or not to cut?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
CP
From time to time here in the CP lapidary shop we have a dispute of opinion. smiley-shocked003.gif smiley-laughing021.gif Oh yea, it's about rocks. greensmilies-025.gif
So, one of us (not sayin' who) wants to cut the piece while the other wants it saved as is. spock.gif chin.gif
In light of this (and many previous or yet to come "disputes" laught16.gif ), we thought it might be fun for some forum members to give us feed back on them and help decide.

We'll put up a vote poll when we add a disputed piece which everyone can cast a vote on.
Question is.......
Cut the piece or not cut the piece and save as is for a specimen?

Here's the piece we are currently stale mated on in the shop - Agate, nice bubbles and looks to have pink plumes.
First view
Click to view attachment
Second view
Click to view attachment

Thanks for your input and feedback everyone.

biggrin.gif
swizz
I don't know how you could cut that and still live with yourself.
jim
Denise does my vote count since you know that I am a cut it up freak? LOL chores017.gif
CP
Well folks, the only votes that won't count are the ones that aren't cast. music037.gif
Cast your vote in the poll above and it sure will count. happy088.gif
I'll refrain from further comment as my comments might incriminate my postition. smiley-shocked003.gif smiley-laughing021.gif

bubbles, bubbles, bubble, bubbles......and plumes. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
russau
the only way id have that peice cut is if i had more of them! i found a geode about the size of a golf ball that was split inhalf, the center was heart shaped and it was black botryoidal hemotite. very nice looking peice. a half hour latter i found the other half!!! what a very uncommon coincidance! i gave it to my wife for valentines day!
Gold_Barnstormer
This cutter voted against cutting smiley-shocked003.gif I agree with russau. Only If I had another.
RichDColorado
Got to agree with russau and GB - keep one intact and cut the other (in that order) - time to go out and find a duplicate piece for cutting.
Coalbunny
To cut, or not to cut..... "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -- Jack Handey
Denise
slaphead.gif Oooops, I almost forgot to vote myself! wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Mar 31 2010, 07:50 AM) *
To cut, or not to cut..... "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -- Jack Handey

Too funny Carl......ahhhhh, but is this rock screaming too much for no good reason?

chin.gif
Coalbunny
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Apr 12 2010, 02:27 PM) *
slaphead.gif Oooops, I almost forgot to vote myself! wink.gif tongue.gif

Too funny Carl......ahhhhh, but is this rock screaming too much for no good reason?

chin.gif

I dunno. Ask Russ.
Denise
So when does this poll end Dan? groucho.gif
CP
I think my photographer was bubble biased. smiley-laughing021.gif

Don't know about finding more but if it's cut then I would have more than one piece. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

music037.gif

How long does the poll run? I don't know, hadn't thought about length of time to run the poll. confused0082[1].gif
Denise
By the votes in the poll..............It looks like Dan and Jim were here. smiley-laughing021.gif stirthepot.gif

Sorry guys but by the looks of the poll, that rock will live on as is.
tongue.gif
jim
Ok ok instead of cutting it just go ahead and cab it like it is. tongue.gif
CP
Well lets see...... two votes to cut and 5 not to cut......so I can cut 2 slices and keep the other five whole? smiley-laughing021.gif

Denise
smiley-laughing021.gif As the # NOT to cut rises. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Denise
slaphead.gif So Dan let that specimen sit for several more years.......until I pulled it out for display reasons and he got a look at it again. smiley-shocked003.gif

This was the end result of him taking two slices off of it. Pics shown wet to see the patterns inside...

Click to view attachment

A close up look at one of the slices.

Click to view attachment

swizz
Spectacular. I would have never guessed it looked like that inside.... good call on CUT! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.