Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quake shifts Earths Axis
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
Denise
"Widespread press reports have noted that February's Chilean earthquake might have shortened Earth's day by a small amount."

You can read the whole story here.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/11mar_figureaxis.htm
Coalbunny
Hey, that means a shorter work day! Woo hoo! YEAH!
greensmilies-025.gif
CP
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif We can always think it's shorter work days anyways. If the change is 8 minutes for the year that makes it about 1.3 seconds per day.

Really astonishing how much material must have moved to casue the planets shape/balance to change. jawdrop.gif
Be interesting to see what the final measurements are found to be.

Good link and story honey.

Trilobite
That would be pretty amazing, to know for sure that an earthquake did that much, it's phenomenal.
Denise
Is it just me, or does it seem like since this event, there have been more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions than usual? unsure.gif chin.gif
russau
and i thought it was because of the chilli i ate!:)
Coalbunny
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ May 24 2010, 03:59 AM) *
Is it just me, or does it seem like since this event, there have been more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions than usual? unsure.gif chin.gif

These things happen. Have a few quakes, have an eruption or two, spit out some lava, and after a couple years of that and about fifty or sixty years of mankind rehabilitating after "End Of The World As We Know It", everything calms down for a bit....
CP
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ May 24 2010, 04:59 AM) *

Well the magma under the tectonic plates sure had a ripple from the quake if the Earth's axis shifted. Volcanoes burpin' off across the globe, I can see how that may be "cause and effects"
Another interesting tid bit not many know about lately is the rest of the coal mine explosions across the globe.......we all heard about the terrible accident in West Virginia and we continue to hear about it and the safety issues......ie the blame! But has anyone else noticed that China, Russia and Turkey have all had similar coal mine explosions from methane gas? chin.gif

Just how many cans o' beans do you eat Russ?! smiley-shocked003.gif atomic.gif laught16.gif

End of the world? Not a chance, but the ride might get a little bumpy. char092.gif

CP
Coalbunny
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ May 25 2010, 07:57 AM) *
Well the magma under the tectonic plates sure had a ripple from the quake if the Earth's axis shifted. Volcanoes burpin' off across the globe, I can see how that may be "cause and effects"
Another interesting tid bit not many know about lately is the rest of the coal mine explosions across the globe.......we all heard about the terrible accident in West Virginia and we continue to hear about it and the safety issues......ie the blame! But has anyone else noticed that China, Russia and Turkey have all had similar coal mine explosions from methane gas? chin.gif

Cause & effect, yes. If the methane output exceeds what the mine was originally designed for, count on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.