Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Markers found in the field
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
CP
Hello prospectors,

We thought a thread discussing markers (survey, claim, FS, BLM etc) we all find in the field might be a good one for information and referencing.
Tampering with any survey markers, claim markers, FS and BLM signs or signage associated with any of them (including posts) is a crime. Do not tamper with them in the field.

I and I'm sure others will add to them as time goes. If you have pictures of one you've found and want to add, or have questions about, feel free to post them up here in this thread.

This one is self explaning and also are normally found in a shorter nearly square shape stating the same as this newer type. "behind the sign (yes orientated as posted) is national forest land. Sometimes you'll find two or more close near corners at 90' angles showing the corner property lines of the NF.
Click to view attachment

This is an upright marker and warning against tamper for a survey pin that also includes the surveyed information on the lower plate. I'm betting this survey pin has a history of disappearing.
The lower signs are not often used either as the same information is also found on the pin itself or the survey records from the pin. They can be handy for the hard to find survey markers.
Click to view attachment

This is a BLM surveyors pin, aluminum 1.5 inch size. Information on this will lead you to the proper survey file for this tract surveyed. Private surveyors also use pins of this style and size and also will have information to reference their survey file. (once recorded - 1 year time allowed to file for surveyors)
BLM also use a large 3 inch brass marker for section corners which will be added in the future.
Click to view attachment

What markers have you come across in the field?

CP
ASTROBLEME
In some locations, USFS will mark trees near the monument so as to make them easier to locate. I've seen tree bark removed, aluminum tags and as shown below, spray paint...

Click to view attachment

This really is helpfull when you are searching for a monument in unfamilair or very remote areas. It would be easy to miss the survey point if it weren't for the tree painting and red post in the middle of this forested location...

Click to view attachment

Here is a couple of photos of one of my claim corner posts that was staked next to a USFS monument out in the forest. My survey grade gps helped me hike straight to this spot. As you can see, the gps pinpoint I used used as reference to find the stake location is also very, very close to the actual monument that had been set by surveyors building the fence many years before GPS was invented!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ASTROBLEME
russau
most of the markers i see are laying on their side or their tandeled in the brush from someone throwing them !
CP
QUOTE (russau @ Feb 15 2010, 05:07 AM) *
most of the markers i see are laying on their side or their tandeled in the brush from someone throwing them !

Yep Russ, that is why a thread like this could be useful to everyone too.

And remember everyone, even if the markers are toppled, tossed off to the side or completely gone, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE in the field to know your location and status of lands you are accessing.

Denise
This is a great thread so I thought I would bump it back up for all to learn from.
Any other field markers found? We would love to see them.
fenixsmom
I don't know if this counts, but I found it on one of our travels.
CP
That's an interesting type I haven't seen before fenixsmom. Was it for a survey or maybe a commemorative marker of some kind?
Sure it fits perfectly here, it's a FS marker you found in the field isn't it? smiley-cool14.gif
fenixsmom
Its a location marker for Mt. Evans. I typed the number in Google and it brought up the spot I was at. Pretty nifty!
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Very cool Jessie! Love those field markers, they always have so much to tell. happy112.gif
MikeS
Went looking for barite in eastern Colorado. Was happy to see this sign and an access gate. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Click to view attachment
swizz
Interesting.... Pawnee?
MikeS
QUOTE (swizz @ Jun 24 2015, 06:11 PM) *
Interesting.... Pawnee?

Yes. Pawnee National Grassland
Denise
Here is a marker (survey pin) we found in the field. It's marking a corner along a National forest boundary. Here is a picture of what it looks like when you walk up on it...

Click to view attachment

A close look at the pin itself....

Click to view attachment

Gene Kooper
Denise,

Nice photos. To add some metadata to your photos, the BLM monument marks the 1/4 cor. between Secs 23 & 24, Township 50 North, Range 7 East of the New Mexico Principal Meridian.

Here is a link to the plat on the GLO Records web site for the 1989 survey. Please note the Lat/Long for the monument is in the NAD 27 Datum (North American Datum of 1927). This is the old horizontal datum and the one still used for USGS topo quadrangles.

Dependent Resurvey and Subdivision of Sections 12 and 13

I attached a copy of the field notes for the above survey. The BLM Cadastral Surveyor found the original granite stone set by U.S. Dep. Surveyor F.B. Moore in 1880. The 1989 field notes state that a 15" diameter juniper bearing tree bears N15°E 87.5 lks. (57.7 ft.)

The description for the corner is on pages 288 & 289 of Vol. 563 (pages 7 & 8 of the PDF file). The original granite stone was buried along side the aluminum post. The normal practice of BLM surveyors is to bury the original monument upside down and near the new monument. It is then referred to as a "memorial" to the true corner.

Click to view attachment
Denise
smiley-clapping.gif Great info follow up Gene, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.