Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adventures in Prospecting
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Miners Crafts, Goods & Classified ads > Wanted > SOLD or Found!
NuggetBrain
NEW EPISODE PLAYS EASTER SUNDAY, March 23rd!

WATER IN THE DESERT

This new episode takes place on a desert creek that only runs a few days a year. "Snappy Grip Tim" built a sluice box from scratch then trys it out. Nugget Brain debutes his cowboy hat and demos a Square Pan. Joey finds a nugget using a mini sluice.

Build your own Sluice Box then go out on your own adventure and get some gold!

http://www.prospectingchannel.com/indexPC.html

DVD is an extended version with more explaination, that contains the plans that you can print out to build a really nice Sluice Box for around 50 dollars. For just $11.95 order now !!
smithsgold
It's worth watching just to see Nugget Brain's Cowboy Hat !!!!
russau
another great episode! please remember NOT to squezze your sucker bottel while fine gold is in it in a upright position! if you do youll squirt your fine gold out. always put your squezze on your bottel while aimed down into your gold pan!ive seen my own gold squirted out and back into the creek from a well meaning person trying to help me!
smithsgold
Adventures In Prospecting
Show # 8 Now Playing !!!

Prospecting Channel

Prospecting with Buckshot !!!

Get your donkey ears and eyes on because were going prospecting in Northern California with the Pryamid Pro Pan!
russau
your shows keep getting better n better!
smithsgold
Preview of a New Show !!

Here's a Preview of a new show thats in the works hope you enjoy the Nugget !!

Jeff
[color="#556B2F"][/color]
smithsgold
http://www.prospectingchannel.com/Meteorite.html

Iron From The Sky: Meteorite Hunters

Adventures in Prospecting

Join world famous meteorite hunter Robert Ward as he and his team unearth one of the largest most valuable meteorites to ever be discovered in the mountains of Glorietta, New Mexico. Learn how to identify different types of meteorites and how to search for these alien specimens. Adventure abounds in this out of this world episode!

Extended DVD includes thrilling stories of international meteorite hunts in Peru and The Arabian Desert with Robert Ward and other hunters who have made a carrer finding these rare outer space rocks.
russau
excelent!
smithsgold
Thanks Russau !!!! emoticon-object-018.gif
smithsgold
Mining Turquoise For Jewelry & Ghost Town Relic Hunting

http://prospectingchannel.com/turquoise.html

Join Chris Ralph of the ICMJ Prospecting and Mining Journal Magazine at his Turquoise Mine in Western Nevada. See the exquisite jewelry made with this fascinating gem stone. Then do some relic hunting at a real ghost town.

DVD is extended version with more information about where and how you can dig some Turquoise then create a piece of Jewelry with the gem stone you found!
smithsgold
Watch Two new Adventures in Prospecting Shows for Thanksgiving !!!!

How to Suction Gold Dredge: A Complete Guide
http://prospectingchannel.com/gold-dredge.html

A.I.P. 14
Get the most gold recovery dredging!
Join Rob Goreham of 49er Mining Supplies and Charters as he walks through a step by step instruction on how to set up your dredge for maximum gold recovery.

All the action takes place deep in the Sierra Nevada Gold Country. Rob got into a really nice pay layer underwater dredging while we there to filming it so your not going to want to miss it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How to Process Gold Concentrate: A Complete Guide
A.I.P. 15
http://prospectingchannel.com/process-gold-concentrate.html

You worked hard to get your gold so why let any of it get away?

Watch as Rob Goreham walks you through the best method to keep all your gold, including MICRON. See BLUE BOWL set up for the most effective way to get gold even under 100 mesh! Watch as the FALCON gold detector calls out gold that is hiding in your gravels! Much, much more tips and technique that will yeild higher gold recoverey ....

Plus, head out to Rose Creek, CA where Casey Kelton and Joey Wilson do some sluicing with the Heavy Hitter Sluice Magnet. Nice color too.

www.prospectingchannel.com
smithsgold
http://prospectingchannel.com/spiral-gold-pan.html

Gold Rush Country Prospecting with Friends & Family

Adventures in Prospecting A.I.P. # 16

Backpack in with a Sluice Box

Head to a spot where the old timers left some gold behind for our sluice! Pan it out the concentrate with the New Maverick Pan! Then see the Gold Magic Spiral Pan in action in Coloma, CA near Sutters Mill.

Extended DVD version features a look at a 8.7 Ounce Gold Nugget found in California with a Metal Detector. See the whole story with the Prospector who recently found this enormous specimen estimated to be worth up to $20,000!!
russau
well there goes my cabin fever! thanks for allowing us to tag-a-long!
Mineral Expeditions
New Series Now Playing At Prospecting Channel.com
Mineral Expeditions

ENTIRE NEW SERIES HAS ARRIVED TO PROSPECTING CHANNEL!!!! MINERAL EXPEDITIONS with Tim Glidewell has launched with 3 Episodes.
This show is for all you Rock Hounders out there as Tim takes a unique approach on exploring how and where to find a variety of Mineral Specimens. Theses show come to you free.
ProspectingChannel.com
Mineral Expeditions
New Series Now Playing At Prospecting Channel.com

Mineral Expeditions

ENTIRE NEW SERIES HAS ARRIVED TO PROSPECTING CHANNEL!!!! MINERAL EXPEDITIONS with Tim Glidewell has launched with 3 Episodes.
This show is for all you Rock Hounders out there as Tim takes a unique approach on exploring how and where to find a variety of Mineral Specimens.
Theses show come to you free.prospectingchannel.com
smithsgold
New Show now playing at

http://prospectingchannel.com/beach-gold-mining.html

Show # 18

Gold Beach Oregon: How to Separate the Gold from the Beach

http://prospectingchannel.com/beach-gold-mining.html

Golden Sands Await!
Those who are willing to take the time to go after the extremely small, however abundant gold particles, will find this episode interesting as we use specialized equipment designed to accumulate these little pieces that add up.

Oregon Gold Beach Prospectiing

Join professional Beach Prospector Gary Sturgil as he and some friends use a Beach Box and Gold Pans to go after the abundant, extremely small gold that adds up.

Take the beach concentrate to meet up with Steve Gribble, inventor of The Gold Lab, to separate the black sand from the micron gold down to 300 mesh minus!!!!!

Extended DVD includes more about the history of beach prospecting in Oregon, a more in depth look at Gary's Beach Box and cleaning out the culvert to see what we found inside!

www.prospectingchannel.com
smithsgold
http://prospectingchannel.com/how-to-find-gold.html

Show # 19

Basic Prospecting Techniques & More

Learn everything you need to know about how to get started.! Gold Panning Instruction, tools you willl need, how to use a sluice, where to look, how gold becomes a placer deposit, crevicing, test panning, and much more.

Special Guests Casey Kelton from Prospector Innovations and Chris Ralph from ICMJ's Prospecting & Mining Journal explain it all.

HurtHawk and Pucky also are in this Show !!!!!!
ScottKS
After watching this show...i'll be saveing my $$$ to get both setups for next season....i have wanted a backpack setup like that ever since i saw one that Tom had on Gold Fever. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Just the thought of haveing a sluice and pans (everything you need) to have a fun day of prospecting all in a backpack (when not dredging of course...tongue.gif)...VERY Convenient smiley-clapping.gif

http://www.store.sluicemagnet.net/GOLD-FEV...ck-Kit-24BK.htm

http://www.store.sluicemagnet.net/Gold-N-S...dredge-2600.htm
swizz
Really great to see that someone has produced a DVD to help folks file their own location claim. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Hats off to Tim Glidewell for putting this together! happy088.gif
Be forewarned - this free version is purely a teaser!! He does show how to make a really nifty corner marker or Location Notice stake, which is nice but the PVC and such is not a legal requirement in Colorado. Most of this freebie is him exploring his discovery and contemplating how he will work it. There are brief teasers on navigating the BLM's LR2000 and Geocommunicator.... but no meat & potatos. He wants you to buy the full DVD for those tutorials, and understandably so.
Having recently filed my own location claim, I imagine this (paid version) tutorial may have been extremely helpful to me. I just ordered the full version... so I'll find out. I do fairly well navigating geocom and utilizing their layering system but get stuck fast on the LR2000 interface since it contains SO much information. I have high hopes for his extended version and will post a review.
Here's a link to the freebie at prospectorchannel.com: How to File A Mining Claim Teaser
I can relate to Tim's nostalgic historic babble through the vid... I felt the same way when locating corner markers, sampling, posting loc notice, and wandering my claim on the first day (not necessarily in that order), hell... I still feel that way!
dickb
Hi Swizz:

Interesting read and I think that the DVD will be interesting to see. Look forward to hearing your comments after you get a chace to view it.

The worst the can come from it is the tutorial on using the Geocommunicator and LR2000. It is a big site and takes a lot of time to get use to using it.

The price they charge for the dvd is not that big that it's gonna break the bank and you just may pick up some point the keeps you from getting into trouble.

Thanks for the information. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dickb
swizz
Wow that was fast.
I received it only three days after ordering and the shipping was free!
I just finished watching it and am comfortable giving it extremely high marks happy088.gif happy088.gif happy088.gif happy088.gif
No fluff, this DVD is 100% meat & potatos.

Tim Glidewell definitely covers all the bases well here.... and then some. The DVD is over an hour long. The production value is very good (not HD but very good). Tim articulates every section of the tutorials extremely well, very easy to follow. He addresses maps & reference books first, then right into the belly of the beast: The dreaded LR2000 and spends some time demonstrating exactly how to navigate it. From there he dives on the geocommunicator and onto Google Earth. There are SO MANY nuances, navigational shortcuts, and system tools WITHIN THESE TOOLS that are useful, especially when using them together! He ties all of these together while explaining each. As you all know, the LR2000, Geocom, and Google Earth are very powerful tools which contain much more land information than what is needed for the purpose of filing. No more muddling through those interfaces for me, I now find them "user friendly", if you can believe that (even "the dreaded")! smiley-cool14.gif
I honestly don't know how he could have demonstrated these tools better for the purpose of filing.
Finally, he goes over the filing of paperwork quite thoroughly page by page, explains deadlines, requirements, where, when, why, and how to file each page.
If you're interested in learning not only how to file properly but drive those three programs like Mario Andretti: BUY IT

Thank you Tim Glidewell for producing such a good tutorial for the Small Scale Miner. smileyflag.gif
IMHO, it's worth far more than what I paid for it.
Persistence
Thanks for the link Swizz!

Now I'm distracted watching all the videos eating-popcorn-03.gif
russau
the teaser was a good taste of what Tim has on his pay dvd. sounded like it was a good one to have if your in the market to get a claim. it would be interesting to veiw this dvd, but im not in a position to buy a claim(ever) i wish i could!!
swizz
QUOTE (russau @ Nov 1 2010, 04:48 AM) *
... it would be interesting to veiw this dvd, but im not in a position to buy a claim

The DVD does not address "buying" a claim. The information is mostly about land research and how to operate LR2000, Geocom, and some enhanced features of Google Earth.
It costs 11.95 (no tax and no shipping charges).
If you're a land research junkie you will easily get your money's worth out of it, unless you have no interest in the three programs I just mentioned.
Claim owner or not.... every prospector should know about the land they are standing on... this program will have you researching land like a pro and save hours of time in the process.
If you're already an expert at these programs........ worthy.gif to you.
If not, WTFunk is $11.95?? chump change
Coalbunny
Paying $11.95 to get what Dan gives for free....
Hmmm.....
swizz
QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Nov 1 2010, 06:29 AM) *
Paying $11.95 to get what Dan gives for free....
Hmmm.....

To a certain extent you are correct, pertaining to the topics of maps, hard copy references, LR2000, and the necessary filing information covered... but not in the capacity of Geocom or Google Earth.
Also... it's really nice to have the in-depth DVD reference on hand - for the rest of my life... instead of bugging Dan every time I get stuck on LR. I'm tellin' ya.. Tim explains these programs very well with hands-on and step-by-step instructions in the DVD. He does it very well.
It's obviously difficult for me to convey the research value of Tim's production in my written review. I'm mildly astounded that you can produce a moderately negative review having never seen it.
I guess I can comprehend your undiscerning skepticism, $11.95 is an awful lot of money to risk on someone's independent review. Hell, what do I know?

tuff crowd, tuff crowd
russau
Swizz, yep the money is a very fair price to pay for a lot of great info! i realy liked his 'teaser" video and would probly really like his dvd. but with 8 children,19 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild,with more grandchildren and great grandchildren surely to come, and some of the children are out of work and needing a little help to get by and my going on retirement 2 years ago, im not in the position to buy things that i can get by without. yep, it would be nice, but................
CP
Cool Swizz, I'm glad it contains useful information for sure.

No one's instruction can be all inclusive including ours here at the Colorado Prospector club but it's always good to know that you can verify/back up what you've found or read at any information source .....always!
Even when a hot cutie working in the office distracts ya'.....that's not gonna' be in any info taught about claims but it can happen. smiley-shocked003.gif laurel_and_hardy.gif happy112.gif

Good to see more valuable information available to the public. happy088.gif I've not seen the teaser or the dvd myself but it sounds like it's good from the reviews.

CP
swizz
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Nov 4 2010, 08:26 AM) *
I've not seen the teaser or the dvd myself but it sounds like it's good from the reviews.

CP

Stay tuned... me thinks Tim may have sent one your way.
...and beware, you may actually like using geocom as tool in the near future. ouch.gif
I actually "like" LR now! biggrin.gif
dickb
Hi Swizz:

I got my dvd in the mail yesterday and got to view it one time so far. I think it's very informative and well edited so their isn't a lot of wasted talk that's not relevent to the subject.

It really helps to understand how those programs work and how to find and be confident that the information you find is accurate. Even, like me, if your not planning on filing a claim, it allows you to make sure that you not on sombody elses claim.

And, you can always say, your doing discovery to decide if the area is worth filing a claim on in the first place.

I'm glad I bought it and Thanks a Lot for pointing it out on the forum.

I'm so far away, that doing the research first before it leave, will prevent a lot of wasted time looking for a place to find what I'm looking for.

Dickb thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
Thanks Swizz, I'll be looking forward to checking it out when I can. Have not been to the PO in a few days but I'll check on that soon.

As far as the geocom system......It can be used as a tool in your research and it does have some really nifty features as well I agree.....But...... We can not overlook the geocoms design, use and disclaimer. Although it can help find some information, the systems disclaimer itself states there are missing claims that may not show and it also says it's only going to "estimate" the 1/4 section described by the claim owner on their claim files. Then the disclaimer flat out tells you that the geocom system DOES NOT REPLACE the LR2000 information and that is where you'll find the actual info needed concerning the factual details used in it's attempt to "overlay the map with claims marked" through geocom.

Here's the full text of the disclaimer for geocom's info for anyone who's not seen the page yet.
Keep on diggin' in to that research everyone and always remember to reverify anything you can with further resources that are available. research.gif happy088.gif

GeoCommunicator Data Disclaimer

Site Users/Visitors are advised that the graphical display of land and mineral parcels and mining claims are NOT a substitute for official BLM records. Many of the data themes contained herein are obtained from other agencies. The USDOI does not control the relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of information contained herein whether generated by BLM or provided by other agencies, and therefore, provides no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of GeoCommunicator site content.

The data on GeoCommunicator can be used as landscape level information for mapping, graphics, and topical purposes only. No warranty expressed or implied including accuracy, compliance with applicable standards, relevancy, timeliness, utility, or completeness of the data, maps, or geographic location of information is made by the BLM, nor shall the act of distribution constitute any such warranty for individual data use or for aggregate use with other data. The BLM shall not be held liable for improper use of the data described and/or contained herein. By using this data you hereby agree to these conditions. The BLM survey information contained herein is intended for display purposes only and is not a substitute for an official land survey. Please read the DOI disclaimer for more information.

Status of the National Integrated Land System

GeoCommunicator is the publication site for data from the National Integrated Land System (NILS). Data on GeoCommunicator comes from NILS as well as from other BLM data sources, other agency data, and other data service providers. For each data layer metadata is available describing information about the data source, data attributes, and other information.

In the fall of 2009 the BLM decided to begin the retirement of the NILS system and proceed with the development of a replacement system. GeoCommunicator will continue to remain operational and data will continue to be updated and supported until a suitable replacement is developed in the future.

Data Currency

There is a "Data Last Published" date on the bottom of all the GeoCommunicator Interactive Maps indicating the date when data was last published to GeoCommunicator. Note that the data in GeoCommunicator has not been verified or validated against BLM's official record systems and does not contain all the data necessary to make land status determinations.

Most of the cases from the BLM's National Integrated Land System and the BLM's Legacy Rehost LR2000 (LR2000) are displayed in GeoCommunicator, although not all. Some may contain only a graphic display of a portion of the lands that are actually authorized or applied for as we may not have the land descriptions to automatically draw the entire parcel geometry for the parcel.

These parcels have a “Y” in the “Partial Geometry” Field. Therefore, there are land and mineral records and mining claims issued or recorded by the BLM and maintained in LR2000 and other systems that occur on the land but are not in GeoCommunicator and therefore do not show up on the map viewer or when using the map or web services. Unpatented mining claims are generally 'nominally' recorded to the quarter section. The actual location of the mining claims are somewhere in the mapped area.

Please refer to the following other BLM online systems for researching and verification of BLM records:

Legacy Rehost 2000 System - LR2000 (http://www.blm.gov/lr2000) for land and mineral records, land title, withdrawals, classifications, and unpatented mining claims.
BLM State Office Master Title Plats (MTPs), Oil & Gas Plats from each BLM State Office (http://www.blm.gov). Select the appropriate state office and then the Land Records Section.
Visit or call BLM State Office Access Centers (http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/links.htm) .
Many of our map layers include data from other agencies including abandoned mines, surface management agency boundaries, USFS range allotments and regulated uses, Topo maps, imagery, lakes, rivers, streams, etc. The USDOI does not control the relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of information provided by other agencies, and therefore, provides no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of furnished data. For additional information regarding abandoned mine activities, please contact the Land Management Agency responsible for the public lands where the mine is located.
swizz
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Nov 8 2010, 09:17 AM) *
.....Although it (geocom) can help find some information, the systems disclaimer itself states there are missing claims that may not show and it also says it's only going to "estimate" the 1/4 section described by the claim owner on their claim files. Then the disclaimer flat out tells you that the geocom system DOES NOT REPLACE the LR2000 information and that is where you'll find the actual info needed concerning the factual details used in it's attempt to "overlay the map with claims marked" through geocom.

Keep on diggin' in to that research everyone and always remember to reverify anything you can with further resources that are available. research.gif happy088.gif

I agree that geocom is not the law of the land and I would hope that most users are aware of that fact. One of the things I did when using it early-on was to read the disclaimer but I realize many don't bother. It may have been you who alerted me to the inaccuracies of the program and prompted me to read it.
I have always viewed geocom as more of a "complimentary tool" and even more so now. Although it's information is general, somewhat fragmented, and not completely accurate, when used in conjunction with the LR and other research tools, it's a very nifty "compliment" to the research process. I predict that the geocom program will only get better in time (maybe a long time) and some of its features (layers) are useful now even given its obvious shortcomings and disclaimer. As you mentioned, folks need to re-verify everything with the BLM and County... regardless of the research tools they are using.
smithsgold
NEW EPISODE RELEASED at Prospecting Channel.com

Hard Rock Prospecting Techniques

A.I.P. 20

FREE to watch. Click Here:

http://prospectingchannel.com/hard-rock-prospecting.html

Chris Ralph from ICMJ's Prospecting & Mining Journal takes you to one of the largest gold bearing quartz outcroppings where he explains about how to look for gold deposits in rock. See how to crush up the ore and get the gold! Explore the Kentucky Hard Rock Gold Mine and see how it operated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.